Uhh losing hope of getting a job...

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 2:41 am

Not giving up I keep looking at craigs list and have tried looking into other avenues, but yeah I got one job...they stopped giving hours so whatever, so I figure at least I can add my job tasks as experience for the next job. but keep worrying about even getting one...probably kind of stupid since I already got that one job even though it didn't work for whatever reason(they never told me, just stopped sceduling me for any hours) and I am an awkward aspergers person so obviously I did not assert myself to demand what was going on like one of the pushier waitresses might have...so thus I never got an explination or even a notifcation about being terminated which apparently happened...as I no longer have an account on the employee website I had to try to log in to find that out, didn't even get a notification from the employer that I had finally been terminated after the 4 months of no hours had to try to log in to find that out...lol.

But either way I have more experience working a dishwashing machine and doing food prep than before I got the job...so whatever maybe I can get something else like that for a while to at least build up a little money. My mom tells me I am too intelligent for that...but how else am I going to make money almost seems like restuaurants are one of the few things you can get a background job like dish-washing or preparing food and not have to deal so much with customers. I'd like to do something more but don't know how to do that....I'd really like to do something to help either stray or endangered animals or both, but that has been something I have been interested since I was like 7...but I can't even get a college degree so seems like I'll have to either find another way to make money and volunteer or find a way to make money and figure out my own way to help....seems like there is no entry level position to get into those types of work, or maybe I just don't know about it. But that is what I mean people tell me I am so smart, yet I've never been able to hold a job and didn't do good in college so if i am so smart why can't I just figure out some genius idea.

CloudClimber
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 3:09 am

Find a dog rescue group, try getting work with a dog boarding place, vet etc.. vocational school was a lot easier for me than regular college. Eventually you will figure out what you like and what you’re good at. Try to work on supporting yourself a bit more; don’t let anyone walk all over you. Ask why you were let go. If it was because of anything related to aspergers, then it’s illegal.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 3:27 am

CloudClimber wrote:
Find a dog rescue group, try getting work with a dog boarding place, vet etc.. vocational school was a lot easier for me than regular college. Eventually you will figure out what you like and what you’re good at. Try to work on supporting yourself a bit more; don’t let anyone walk all over you. Ask why you were let go. If it was because of anything related to aspergers, then it’s illegal.

I want to get some kind of job in helping animals, that is what I really want, but seems like I would still have to get a job to make money to even get into that, like I'd have to find a job to pay for some kind of vocational school or whatever because it doesn't seem they have much in the way of entry level paying jobs for helping animals, so It seems like I'd have to get some kind of certificate degree at least to do any work like that...aside from volunteer but for that I'd also need a job to have funds for transpiration and such. I certainly can't afford to volunteer, when I am struggling to get enough to eat every day....didn't get my food stamps this month, I'll have to go to the office and try and figure out what is going on with that but, so its been a bit of a struggle.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 5:24 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Not giving up I keep looking at craigs list and have tried looking into other avenues, but yeah I got one job...they stopped giving hours so whatever, so I figure at least I can add my job tasks as experience for the next job. but keep worrying about even getting one...probably kind of stupid since I already got that one job even though it didn't work for whatever reason(they never told me, just stopped sceduling me for any hours) and I am an awkward aspergers person so obviously I did not assert myself to demand what was going on like one of the pushier waitresses might have...so thus I never got an explination or even a notifcation about being terminated which apparently happened...as I no longer have an account on the employee website I had to try to log in to find that out, didn't even get a notification from the employer that I had finally been terminated after the 4 months of no hours had to try to log in to find that out...lol.

But either way I have more experience working a dishwashing machine and doing food prep than before I got the job...so whatever maybe I can get something else like that for a while to at least build up a little money. My mom tells me I am too intelligent for that...but how else am I going to make money almost seems like restuaurants are one of the few things you can get a background job like dish-washing or preparing food and not have to deal so much with customers. I'd like to do something more but don't know how to do that....I'd really like to do something to help either stray or endangered animals or both, but that has been something I have been interested since I was like 7...but I can't even get a college degree so seems like I'll have to either find another way to make money and volunteer or find a way to make money and figure out my own way to help....seems like there is no entry level position to get into those types of work, or maybe I just don't know about it. But that is what I mean people tell me I am so smart, yet I've never been able to hold a job and didn't do good in college so if i am so smart why can't I just figure out some genius idea.

I think many of us have this impression that we always need to work our way up in life or have a lot of experience to get into a particular position, and sometimes that's true, but a lot of times, especially these days, it isn't. A lot of times people generalize their knowledge and use that to apply for jobs in fields they haven't worked in before, or they go through social connections (difficult for those of us on the spectrum). The world is not as regimented as we might think it is.

You were a dish washer, you understand the basic principals of sanitizing in commercial kitchens, you might be able to get a job as a professional commercial kitchen sanitizer. You have done food preparation, you might be able to get a job with a catering company. I don't know that running a cat sanctuary is profitable...I don't think it really is, but being a vet tech is, though you will need to go to school for that.

I find that a lot of places of employment are still fairly low tech when it comes to hiring and it's worth it to walk in and ask if they are hiring or accepting applications.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 12:47 pm

Well I've found an ad for a recycling job, says its entry level and I do care about the planet so I might as well send my resume.

Jackblood
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Feb 2018, 2:19 pm

Have you considered a vet tech position. The trades are in high demand, don't require 4 years of education, yield a decent salary, and are skilled based. In other words it's not some "management" job where a panel asks questions like how did you handle a situation when a team member was behind in schedule? Or some other B.S. question where you have to pretend to be some sort of outgoing, politically correct, compassionate, caricature to get hired.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 1:12 pm

Jackblood wrote:
Have you considered a vet tech position. The trades are in high demand, don't require 4 years of education, yield a decent salary, and are skilled based. In other words it's not some "management" job where a panel asks questions like how did you handle a situation when a team member was behind in schedule? Or some other B.S. question where you have to pretend to be some sort of outgoing, politically correct, compassionate, caricature to get hired.

It still does require getting an education though like at least a technical school program or something doesn't it? I just don't see that being realistic at the moment...as I need income now, like I can't really afford to get any kind of education at the moment if I still want to pay bills and eat.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 1:13 pm

Did you hear from the recycling job?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 3:15 pm

No, I haven't and I am thinking after this long I probably won't be hearing anything from them.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 5:04 pm

I applied for my job because it sounded "different". I didn't think I would get it, I just wanted to say that I tried, and I definitely would not have applied if they had mentioned that heavy lifting was required. I grew into it though, I'm in pretty good shape now. Sometimes it helps to think outside the box.

Have you tried temp agencies? My work hires temps if they stick around long enough and do a good job. It's a pretty high turnaround for boring positions, like folding boxes, or working on the assembly lines.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 6:43 pm

I had a job folding boxes before... Wow that was a long time ago... I ended up quitting that one because back then the family had me taking care of my grandmother and I couldn't hold that job and take care of her at the same time.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 6:58 pm

I look at some landfill/recycling/ refuse collection job which only runs once or twice a week which even though doesn't pay well or get more hours, still struggle to get accepted mainly due to it asking for people who can drive, have some sort of engineering qualification or experience to back them up, really annoys me that they ask for extreme requests to get the best people on the job leaving people like me behind with nowhere to go. who would want to work as a binman or refuse collector straight out of college or university? that certainly wasn't my mindset when I left.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 12:51 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I applied for my job because it sounded "different". I didn't think I would get it, I just wanted to say that I tried, and I definitely would not have applied if they had mentioned that heavy lifting was required. I grew into it though, I'm in pretty good shape now. Sometimes it helps to think outside the box.

Have you tried temp agencies? My work hires temps if they stick around long enough and do a good job. It's a pretty high turnaround for boring positions, like folding boxes, or working on the assembly lines.

I haven't but my boyfriend has gotten work through those, and well honestly it didn't seem like a very good option for someone like me with limited social skills. He got put on some pretty crappy/hazardous jobs that way, also I am trying to start out with part time....and I know all the jobs he got ended up being full time with overtime hours and I don't think I could handle that, at least not at first.

Plus a lot of jobs say they want you to be able to lift 50 pounds, well I am a small person and my typical weight is 95 pounds so it would be slightly over half my weight carrying something that heavy.....so yeah it would be difficult for me to lift close to 50 pounds very often, like sure I have lifted things that heavy but I doubt i could do it on a regular basis without help.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 1:28 am

Just upset because, I am just now really realizing how much barriers the autism causes me as far as pursuing goals. Like I can't just fake it and make money....i need a job where the disorder is recognized and they realize even if I am not good at customer service I can still be one hell of a worker, just give me a task to do and I'd get it done....but the requirement of 'great social and customer service skills, to work in a fast paced environment' is where I fail. I can't do that...but then a lot of jobs that don't require that stuff require regularly lifting 50 pounds or more according to job adds and well I am too small to do that on a regular basis without likely damaging my body.

And I am afraid disability services to help disabled people find jobs will deem me too 'high functioning' for their programs so yeah I don't know what to do.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 2:31 am

I wish the world was like star trek, get a promotion based on actual character than how well you avoid social blunders.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 9:35 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Plus a lot of jobs say they want you to be able to lift 50 pounds, well I am a small person and my typical weight is 95 pounds so it would be slightly over half my weight carrying something that heavy.....so yeah it would be difficult for me to lift close to 50 pounds very often, like sure I have lifted things that heavy but I doubt i could do it on a regular basis without help.

I don't mean to sound sexist, but you're a girl, so they probably won't expect you to. But I think mainly they just say it to weed out people with back injuries, things like that. I know I used to turn down jobs that said there was heavy lifting, but you build up muscle after a while and get used to it; now I'm regularly hauling around bags that are the same weight as I am, if not heavier.

50 lbs is probably a rare maximum though, and not an average, depending on the job (obviously I can't speak for all jobs, but I know most places adhere to safety regulations). Average is probably much lighter, and anything too heavy is usually a "team lift" effort, and just for a quick second: lifting something heavy onto a dolly, or a palette, etc. to be wheeled somewhere else. Some of us guys like to show off and carry heavy things by ourselves for more than a short distance, but you can actually get in trouble for that :oops:

Anyway, the nice thing about temp jobs is that if you get there and you don't like it, we've had people who barely stayed an hour before going back home. I know at my job, I rarely have to talk to anyone at all...there's a little more socializing on the assembly lines, but they usually leave the quiet people alone, especially if they have headphones on.

You might have to talk to a supervisor or someone though if the place is noisy and you need to wear hearing protection.

I'm just trying to give you some ideas, I know I was in your shoes for many, many depressing years =/