What was life like in the 1980's?

Page 8 of 16 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 6:46 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
alcockell wrote:
YLTLF would have been the Righteous Bros version - as it was heavily featured in Top Gun.

You could be right. I just looked up the Hall and Oates version, that one's from 1980, so it would've been a little out-of-fashion by then...Top Gun was 1986, so that puts it closer to the correct time period.

Steve Winwood's single came out December of '86, so it might fit together...though I honestly couldn't say what year these two memories even occured in. I was dead certain that I heard Back in the High Life the day my brother was born, but Wikipedia says that that is impossible =)

He IS right, RB version from 1964 was the version in Top Gun and that remarkable also played on pop radio at the time when Top Gun hit the cinemas and everyone wanted to be fighter pilots.

I had jets as a special interest back then and could recite armament configurations of different fighters as well as characteristics like maximum mach speed from memory, i even corrected a professional fighter pilot a few years ago about what plane was on a picture (comparing Mig 23, Mig 27 and Su 24 - which sorta look the same).

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:32 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
Pretty much all the arcade ports to the 2600 were pretty bad. Its a very overrated system...

Incorrect.

drwho222 wrote:
The dominant system post crash was the NES. A system with a library that was 1% gold and 99% garbage. Possibly the most overrated system ever.

According to Wikipedia, "A total of 714 known licensed game titles were released for the Nintendo Entertainment System video game console during its life span, 679 of these games released in North America..."

I doubt anyone could, with all honesty, pick only six great NES titles and then denounce the rest of them as trash. I don't think I could even pick twenty, and I'm not even counting unlicensed or import titles.

RainbowUnion wrote:
It even gave the Zelda franchise its lone bad game!

No, that was the Phillips CDi.

Unless you want to get controversial, then I would say it was the N64.

There was nothing "bad" about Zelda II, it was just really, frustratingly difficult.

alcockell wrote:
YLTLF would have been the Righteous Bros version - as it was heavily featured in Top Gun.

You could be right. I just looked up the Hall and Oates version, that one's from 1980, so it would've been a little out-of-fashion by then...Top Gun was 1986, so that puts it closer to the correct time period.

Steve Winwood's single came out December of '86, so it might fit together...though I honestly couldn't say what year these two memories even occured in. I was dead certain that I heard Back in the High Life the day my brother was born, but Wikipedia says that that is impossible =)

In Zelda 2 you had a sword the size of a lipstick. And that's just for starters. Zelda 3 stands as one of the all time best games ever because it took was great about the original LOZ and made it better.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 8:29 pm

I miss payphones. :|

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 10:31 am

The 80s were a pretty good decade for me until the very end. Then it turned terrible for me.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 4:59 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I miss payphones. :|

Yeah, there aren't a lot of those around anymore...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 11:15 pm

And they are still needed....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 11:21 pm

especially by those of us who can't afford or live out of range of smartphone service or even dumbphone service.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 10:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Pay phones still actually make a lot of money.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, but with cell phones they are just not worth the bother for the phone companies to set up and maintain.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 6:30 pm

that wouldn't be a bother if nobody lived out in the sticks away from the cell towers.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:26 pm

I saw a payphone the other day. I was so surprised, I pointed it out to the person I was with

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:32 pm

Now....imagine if that payphone actually worked????

Even around the year 2000, payphones were still used quite a bit by people.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Now....imagine if that payphone actually worked????

Even around the year 2000, payphones were still used quite a bit by people.

I didn't test it.

I haven't used a payphone in over 15 years. It took my money so I called the operator and provided my address so they could send me a check. I never received the check and a few weeks later, the payphone had been ripped out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:52 pm

To be honest, I still believe we need payphones for emergencies. For when cell service gets knocked out, while "regular" phone service remains.

I'm guessing there aren't any payphones, primarily, because of the "sabotage" you described.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:55 pm

there needs to be a universal cell phone standard, with uniform reception over the entire nation [however that is accomplished], where any off-the-rack cellphone will immediately work with it. that would be the 21st century version of a payphone.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 10:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
To be honest, I still believe we need payphones for emergencies. For when cell service gets knocked out, while "regular" phone service remains.

I'm guessing there aren't any payphones, primarily, because of the "sabotage" you described.

The local twisted copper carrier in my area charges $60 for local plus extended coverage phone service, not including long distance. I've heard they have been accused of failing to maintain their network in an attempt to force customers to discontinue it in favor of fiber optic that they are now offering in some areas. The reason is, fiber optic is more profitable because it can support data speeds that can compete with cable (greater than 100Mbps) and allows carriers to offer TV as well, while conventional twisted copper often doesn't support more than 1Mbps. The only benefit to twisted copper is that it carriers the power to the phone so when the main power grid goes out, conventional phone lines often still work.