What was life like in the 1980's?

Page 9 of 16 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 3:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm guessing there aren't any payphones, primarily, because of the "sabotage" you described.

Have been around Europe over the years, only place i saw payphones were in London, that probably only keeps them around in numbers because the phone booths are part of their culture (probably many Dr Who fans). We had similar stylized phone booths in Sweden, but most were replaced by modern ones and now i only know of one older, stylized one that is kept around as part of an heritage museum - most phone boots are gone and it is rare to see one. You can however, see people everywhere with iPhones and Androids...

It looks like this, but i think it is more green:

Probable reason is that the government phone company was deregulated during the 1990s and lots of compeditors popped up, i guess fair competition and all that were a factor.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 9:05 am

In the 1990's, there was a peak of almost 3 million pay phones in the United States alone.

Galizen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2018, 2:00 pm

Hello !
I used a payphone in London en 2013. Ok it ate my pound and gave me no change but I was able to reach my hostel since my mobile was out of order.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 3:20 pm

Galizen wrote:
Hello !
I used a payphone in London en 2013. Ok it ate my pound and gave me no change but I was able to reach my hostel since my mobile was out of order.

Did it stink of piss like they did in the 80s?

And have calling cards for local prostitutes pinned inside?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 6:34 pm

Galizen wrote:
Hello !

welcome to WP 8)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 11:49 pm

Being called a nerd or a geek had a somewhat different meaning and was almost always a bad thing until the 1990's.

Dentists would tell us we had to brush our teeth right after every meal. Now they tell us doing that can ruin your tooth enamel even more.

I hated the cheap imitations of popular toys so much that one time at around Christmas I wrote "NO IMITATIONS!" on my presents list. But now a lot of collectors are into them mainly because of their weirdness. For example cheap knock-offs of My Little Pony are affectionately nicknamed "fakies". They've been around since the G1 ponies were out and some of them are really rare, but as a kid I found most of them creepy or ugly.

I remember there being a knock-off of Cabbage Patch dolls that I actually was curious about, however. Maybe because some of the girl dolls had neon pink hair which the CPK didn't have. But the dolls gave off a strange smell, like kerosene, and they were shown on the news.

Speaking of CPK. they once came out with a line of dolls called preemies, which is short for "premature". They were basically just smaller, cuter versions of the original dolls, but the controversy led to them being later called "newborns". Nothing cute or fun about a real preemie baby hooked up to tubes while hoses and their own mother can't even touch their bare skin because it's too delicate. :( And then there was that commercial where a little girl has a CPK preemie and her grandma proudly tells her that she, the granddaughter, had been a preemie herself, and the grandma claimed it was her cookies that made the little girl grow up big and healthy. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 12:46 am

ubiquitous K-cars.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 2:26 am

:roll:
talking some secret language here^^?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 6:30 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Being called a nerd or a geek had a somewhat different meaning and was almost always a bad thing until the 1990's.

These days, to qualify as a self proclaimed nerd or a geek, you just have to like Disney's Marvel movies :roll:

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 11:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
ubiquitous K-cars.

Ah, good old Chrysler and their K-platform cars...

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 10:41 pm

The first toy obsession I remember having as a kid was the Monchichi dolls that first came out in Japan in 1974, the same year I was born. The obsession lasted for a few years even though the toys weren't very successful in North America and I never actually got one. I didn't know they were Japanese back then, either. It's like I had an attraction to Japanese stuff before I even knew anything about Japan. 8O

Speaking of which, anime was simply known as Japanese animation, or "Japanimation" until maybe the 90's. As a kid I saw quite a bit of french-dubbed anime on the French CBC, which made me think they were really French cartoons. Especially when I learned anime was part of the french word for cartoon. :lol:

Hello Kitty was around back then, too. She was also created in 1974. I first remember seeing her as a plush toy that changed color when you put her in warm water. And then in the late 80's there was a kind of cheesy American cartoon called Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater.

I have two baby Monchichi dolls now, dressed up as a bunny and a chick for Easter. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:17 am

I've had 3 k-cars back in the 80s. they were the cheapest cars around.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 2:41 am

in this region on the little farm the sounds of explosions from the cesspit were brutal, also the ongoing prospecting for gas that was happening made other explosions and shakings

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:04 am

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ubiquitous K-cars.

Ah, good old Chrysler and their K-platform cars...

All horribly ugly if not for the shine.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:22 am

in terms of interior room and ride comfort/overall comfort, they [Kcars] were competitive with the offerings from ford and GM, and beat the pants off of most offerings from Germany and Japan. they were a bit slow, though, those 4 bangers didn't have much twist, and they slowed down on long hills. gas mileage was excellent, however.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:26 am

In the 1980s people looked where they were going and took in the scenery...instead of walking in to doors while staring at their stupid mobile phones