Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

fourthworld
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2018, 1:54 am

I've been hearing voices since I was 15 or 16, don't remember exactly when but I turn 19 in mid-February. It's not like they're talking right next to me or directly in my ear or head, they seem like they're in another room or outside where I can still hear them talking about me. I hear them before going to bed, at university, and usually I'll listen to music instead but I also have tinnitus from this. The voices gossip and I know I'm imagining them. I also have trouble falling asleep at night which has been another ongoing problem that has gotten worse since Fall 2016. The doctor I went to last time before I got diagnosed with high functioning autism prescribed me 25mg Seroquel to help me fall asleep, but I still heard the voices.

For some background, I used to smoke way too much weed and dabbled in other drugs, like benzos (clonazepam), opiates (hydromorphone), caffeine (coffee and pills), nicotine (gum), and took psilocybin mushrooms alone twice. I am kind of worried what the doctor will think and don't really want to take whatever he prescribes me because I feel distrustful towards them. I have friends who I don't talk to anymore, I don't talk to anyone at university, and usually wear the same clothes like pants because I'm too lazy to get my other pairs tailored so they fit right. I've decided to grow my hair out. It's late and I'm supposed to be asleep.

I cancelled my last few doctor's appointments because I don't want to find out I actually have schizophrenia or something and be stuck taking antipsychotics and benzodiazepines.

What would be your advice to me? I can easily ignore all of this and go on living the way I do but I just wanted to get this out of my system before bed.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 4:57 am

If they are not disturbing you I'd say don't tell it to your doctor. But if you could do anything for them to just go away then you should definitely talk to your doctor about it.

CloudClimber
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 5:30 am

You do not have to take any drugs if you are not comfortable doing so. If you tell a doctor, then you need to make that clear. You can talk to a behavior therapist if you need to get it out.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 6:22 am

fourthworld wrote:

I cancelled my last few doctor's appointments because I don't want to find out I actually have schizophrenia or something and be stuck taking antipsychotics and benzodiazepines.

What would be your advice to me? I can easily ignore all of this and go on living the way I do but I just wanted to get this out of my system before bed.

Go to the Doctors , you can't be forced to take medication unless you are a danger to yourself or others. Hearing voices doesn't neccesarily mean schizophrenia , it could also be manic depression or psychosis. Apparently only 25% of people who hear voices also have a psychotic disorder.

This page might be useful for you https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/a-to-z/h/hearing-voices

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

fourthworld
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2018, 4:48 am

Update: went to the doctor and told him everything except for the hearing voices part, he told me that it's most likely depression from my current situation in life. I got my blood tested and a referral to an audiologist. Cancelled the audiologist appointment though. I figured out that whenever I hear what I consider to be "voices in my head" I'd immediately make the effort to imagine what I just heard to remind myself that it was only my imagination

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Mar 2018, 10:25 pm

fourthworld wrote:
Update: went to the doctor and told him everything except for the hearing voices part, he told me that it's most likely depression from my current situation in life. I got my blood tested and a referral to an audiologist. Cancelled the audiologist appointment though. I figured out that whenever I hear what I consider to be "voices in my head" I'd immediately make the effort to imagine what I just heard to remind myself that it was only my imagination
I would guess that it's psychotic depression. I had that in my early 20s over my 1st realtionship ending. Meds helped hold me together while I worked on myself & life situation to make things better. I really hope telling yourself it's your imagination works enough for you while you change your situation for the better.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition