Book: Pathways of The Very Young Autistic Mind

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 2:07 am

Living with Autism: Vestavia Hills Couple Writes About Growing up With Autism Living with Autism: Vestavia Hills Couple Writes About Growing up With Autism

Quote:
The Cahaba Heights couple recently published the book “Pathways of the Very Young Autistic Mind,” which describes their experiences growing up with autism.

Both Patrick and Meredith live with different forms of autism. Patrick is diagnosed as having Asperger syndrome and Meredith has another type of high-functioning autism.

Patrick works as an account services associate at a software company and Meredith works at a thrift store in Inverness called Vapor, which uses some of its proceeds for mission work in other countries.

In writing “Pathways of the Very Young Autistic Mind,” the Deweeses wanted to record their personal memories as well as bring hope to parents and families.

In the book, Patrick said he writes about the ways he remembers things from his childhood and how his way of remembering is different.

“I can remember unimportant things from long ago with great detail,” he said, “I’m able to remember the things I would think about because I have Asperger. I study things with an intense interest and I was born with an intense curiosity about the world around me.”

Patrick said the book he wrote with his wife is different from a lot of books on autism.

“It isn’t a ‘how-to’ book like a lot of autism books,” Patrick said, “We mention people in history like Isaac Newton and Einstein who are said to have autism. We hope it encourages parents about a child’s potential.”

“Pathways of the Very Young Autistic Mind” is available on Amazon, barnesandnoble.com and booksamillion.com for $11.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman