Plenty of options but prefer to be perpetually single?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

BioLife
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2018, 5:19 am

I'm a 29yo male with AS who has developed social skills to the point I don't feel like I really struggle much except in groups. I do very well one on one and have developed really good conversation and flirting skills in that sort of interaction. I am also very physically fit and get told I'm attractive. In fact, I actually get hit on a lot, have many sexual partners, and get pestered by people wondering how on Earth don't have a girlfriend. The thing is though, I have never enjoyed relationships. I have tried. I have tried really hard at times. Because of my looks and modern dating apps, I've been able to go out with literally 200+ girls in the last three years and went out with plenty of others before that. I have not tried seriously dating anyone unless there really seemed to be potential there, but even then, I always end up feeling unhappy and kind of trapped and like I would be happier not being in the relationship. I've even dated a few great girls, but I still felt like I'd rather NOT be in the relationship.

It's not really something I worry about much, but just thinking about it, I think it's probable I will never get married or have any relationship resembling marriage. I can date very casually, sleep with women, have female friends, etc, but regularly doing something with someone, intertwining lives, taking trips together, etc, always seems like more of a hassle than it's worth. Any other ASD folks feel that way? Any ASD folks feel that way for a long time and still end up getting married?

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 5:47 am

As far as "casual" and "committed" relationships go for me, I actually think the opposite. I'd have immense trouble going on casual dates and having casual sex with dozens of women - I crave the sense of intimacy that comes with committing to one potential partner. But then again, I'm kind of a hopeless romantic, and I have no experience with dating whatsoever, let alone actually being in a romantic relationship.

However, that's not to say I can't see where you're coming from. I don't blame you for having trouble committing to one person, possibly for the rest of your life.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 6:36 am

Nah, not really. I'm one of those people who look for "the one" and who doesn't really have interest in not serious relationships.

Of course, if you're happy with the way you live now then there's no reason to change it.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 6:40 am

I can relate OP, I feel the same way.
Though I haven't been on a date with 200+ girls, I've had several relationships and a good handful of casual hookups.

Relationships are extremely stressful imo.

CloudClimber
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 6:56 am

I don't care to have a serious relationship either. My habits are set and I don't want anyone seriously interrupting the way I live. It's possible there is someone that will work, but I'm not going to be upset if it doesn't happen.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 9:24 pm

I definitely am in my element single. It’s great, do what you like. From my experience it’s like having a dependent child in some ways. They need attention, they constantly need need need. I don’t want dependents.

I reject guys simply because the thought of dating them seems like it would make me feel worse, as it did when I used to try dating them. I’m not ruling out ever dating someone, it’s just never been important to me.

Personally I can only see one benefit from a relationship, which is unconditional emotional support, but even getting that isn’t a given.

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones in this regard. Abnormally independent.

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 5:36 am

The first and last time I had a boyfriend was back in 2004-2005. We broke up, and I've never been interested in dating since then. I plan to remain single for a very, very long time.

Why yes, I am a conservative.