What do you think it'll be like to die?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 1:51 am

Will it be really terrifying and painful or will it be calm and peaceful? I doubt mine will be the latter the way the world is going. And just because a person *appears* to have died peacefully doesn't always mean they actually. It's like I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. Will it really be like we never existed? We won't feel or think or feel anything? Then what was the point of being alive in the first place?

I like to think we live on in other people's memories or things we created during our lifetime, but if everyone and everything in the world is destroyed, it will be like that was pointless as well. So who cares anymore?

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2018, 3:40 am

I'm not really bothered by the idea of dying. I just hope it isn't painful or long and drawn out. I do not believe there is anything more after death nor do I think that there is any point to our lives, either as individuals or as a species. I think we are just here by chance, a mere intermediate stage in a natural evolutionary process, and as a species we will eventually evolve into something else or die out, although technology may have an impact on what happens to us as a species. I think as individuals we should try to make the best of the time we have even though that can be very hard at times. I do like the thought that all the atoms that make up "me" will eventually become part of something else.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 12:38 am

Biggest influence is the circumstances: I expect to feel relief that i’ve Reached the end at last, mostly

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 3:19 am

None of us will know for sure until it happens.

I read recently that there's brain activity that still occurs for a time after clinical death. This has lead to the hypothesis that our brains & consciousness remain active for a short while after our bodies die, and that we're self aware of our own death. Bit of a trip. It'll be interesting to find out someday, hopefully in the very distant future.

I do believe people experience an awesome DMT trip just before death. (I watched my grandmother's pupil's widen & trip out a few days before her death - so maybe sometimes the brain thinks you're bout to go and the DMT rush is a bit premature.) I have no idea if the real deal death process DMT trip compares to the recreational/spiritual use of the substance while living. I've never consumed it, but I am about to start reading a book about it called "DMT The Spirit Molecule." I've known of DMT for 12+ years but have yet to try it. I want to read the book first, then do it at the right time/place with the right people. It's supposed to be the most powerful psychedelic drug trip possible, and from what I know of it, as close as humanly possible to experience the moments just before death without actually dying. For the unenlightened, it's produced naturally in our brains & is in many plants etc. It's released in small doses when we fall asleep and is what's said to be partially responsible for vivid dreams, and it's released in one big mega dose just before death & is what's responsible for people's lives rapidly flashing before their eyes, or seeing the light etc. Friends have described their experiences on it as being like mushrooms or acid x1000 in a chronological duration of 5-10mins or so, but an experience that's so rapid it feels like hours (or longer) has passed. This is the only substance on the planet that I'm looking forward to experiencing someday. Fortunately I can get it from local shops and don't have to trek into the amazon & find a Shaman. Apparently when taken in tea form the experience can actually last for hours or even days, but I think smoking & inhaling it is likely to produce a much more intense, but shorter duration, trip. I'm not certain of that, though. It just makes sense that it would. Someday I'm gonna do it w/ a select group who're also ready & willing to do so.

For anyone interested, this is the book I'm about to begin reading. It's been on my reading list for years & I wanted to read it before doing the stuff, figure I owe it the respect to learn about it first.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 4:09 am

IDK I am rather curious about it, but at the same time it does seem horrifying...I have certainly thought about dying before and it always kind of freaks me out, but yet I know there is no escape and it will be my fate some day. So yeah just sort of a difficult concept.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 4:51 am

Tic toc.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 7:57 am

Strictly my own mother's experience but she had been with several relatives as they died. She said they all starting talking/interacting with an unseen presence on their last hours and she could literally sense their presence outside their body for a few seconds before it disappeared and she knows they are gone from their body. She has never been wrong about that yet as all were pronounced dead shortly after.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 8:03 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Will it really be like we never existed? We won't feel or think or feel anything?

imo - ^this

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 8:21 am

I know that being dead isn't the least bit painful. Dying could be very painful.

I remember seeing my great grandmother when she was dying. She had gotten very very thin. She looked scared. She died 2 days later. She was 93.

That's probably how I'll go. As a very thin, very sick 93 year old :|

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 1:09 pm

The death state will be the same as the state you were in before birth.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 6:03 pm

peterd wrote:
Biggest influence is the circumstances: I expect to feel relief that i’ve Reached the end at last, mostly

Yes. I have no fear of dying, it's the mucking around beforehand that bothers me. I don't want to die slowly like my Grandmother. She had heart failure and drowned slowly in her own bodily fluids. It was an awful way to die. My Mother died of cancer. Again, a slow horrible way. I want to go quick. If I can do that I'll be happy but I don't believe in anything after death so I don't expect to feel anything.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 6:11 pm

I got beaten up once to the point of being flooded with endorphin, I thought that I was drowning and found it quite pleasant. Hopefully dying will have some of the same natural high.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 11:45 am

I worry about how I'm going to die. I think dying the same way my grandmother died is the best way to die. She came over drowsy, but wasn't in pain as she was laughing and joking, then they put her in her chair for a rest and she just dozed off like she was going to sleep, but never woke up. So she died being herself, and peacefully.

I think the scariest ways to die are drowning or being murdered, and there are lots more scary ways to die.

I don't believe in heaven or hell though. I do believe in ghosts though.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 3:15 pm

Freeing

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2018, 9:47 am

I recently had a dream about this. It was like the end of spring, when you say goodbye to your groupmates/classmates... I had a dream about blazing morning sun conquering the darkness of the night. The streets looked like there had been a feast/parade but now everyone was gone, except for some heady people. I dreamt that a few girls from my Uni and me were downtown, and I said goodbye to everyone. It was bittersweet. Than I grabbed an empty bottle and the bottle worked like a balloon, it lifted me in the air and I floated away.
I travelled around my country in the air, invisible, and saw emerald forests, rails, cities, and finally, there came a hill. On top of the hill was Aztec like pyramid or fortress guarded by nuns. You could enlist if you were fed up with living and wanted a demise; live there for a while, and if you don't leave, you belong to the fortress -- the fortress of death. You cannot leave. You're left with no food locked there. There's no turning back.

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2018, 6:13 pm

I once took an african root called iboga which induces a trip for a couple of days very unlike LSD but more real feeling like a dreamstate in which I experienced my own death. I experienced myself having a heart attack and being resuscitated with a defibrillator by some paramedics. It was quite scary and felt quite real at the time. Needless to say I haven't repeated this but I have thought about trying ayanausca (DMT) Too see if that gives me a better experience.