Asperger's Performer and Activist Dylan Rothbein to Speak

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 1:04 pm

Broadway World

Quote:
Acclaimed performer, activist and filmmaker Dylan Rothbein will be speaking at The Actors' Temple (339 West 47th Street, New York NY 10036) at 8 p.m. on Friday, February 9 along with author Rob Bernstein (Uniquely Normal: Tapping the Reservoir of Normalcy to Treat Autism) to discuss his experiences identifying as Asperger's.

Dylan is a gifted artist and advocate for the disabled who speaks about what it's like to identify as Asperger's, and he will be speaking to The Actors' Temple congregation after its Friday Shabbat service about his struggles and successes with finding acceptance within both the Jewish community and the world at large. Dylan will also speak about his journey from selective mutism (in which he rarely spoke for a period of five years) to his current position as a musician, filmmaker, disability rights activist and champion for those with neurodiversity, and he will close his appearance with a few songs from his upcoming album Tell Me I'm Following You.

Author and therapist Rob Bernstein is a friend and colleague of Dylan's (and a producer on Dylan's current film in progress Society's Child), and he will also be appearing with Dylan in order to talk about his own experiences over three decades treating children and adults on the autism spectrum, many of whom were non-speaking when they first came to his office. Rob's award-winning new book Uniquely Normal provides a candid look at his successes, while also offering parents, teachers, and professionals an alternative to Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) approaches.

When not singing and speaking, Dylan Rothbein is the president and founder of Neurodivergent Ventures, working tirelessly to speak for the neurodivergent community. He recently announced a crowdfunding effort for his film Society's Child, on which he serves as writer, director and composer. Society's Child is the powerful and emotional fictional story that emerged from Dylan's own experiences as a working-class Jewish kid who identifies as Asperger's and dyslexic, who now speaks for the disabled and neurodivergent on a global scale. Dylan's story included a psych ward inpatient stay, selective mutism, misdiagnosis relating to his Asperger's, and successful residential care, and he emerged from those experiences to become a singer, performer and entrepreneur who is known as the "Bob Dylan of Neurodiversity." Society's Child also sensitively reflects some of Dylan's own experiences growing up both neurodivergent and Jewish, as well.

"I'm very excited to appear at The Actors' Temple to share my experiences identifying as Asperger's," comments Dylan Rothbein. "In sharing my story, my focus is always on finding common ground, and on identifying the ways in which we are all more alike than we are different, and to be able to do so before fellow members of the Jewish community makes it all the more meaningful."

Rob Bernstein echoes Dylan's call to seek common ground between those in the community at large and those on the spectrum. "We need to recognize and appreciate our similarities on both sides," he comments, "even as we appreciate our differences. And we should never forget Dr. Temple Grandin's famous statement that 'Being different doesn't mean we're less.'" (Dr. Grandin also contributed the foreword to Rob's book Uniquely Normal).

Dylan recently appeared in the award-winning film Keep the Change, which was directed by Rachel Israel. He acted in the film as well as performing his song "Love is a Tidal Wave," which can be found on his album Even Though We're Different. Meanwhile, learn more about his company and accomplishments at https://dylanrothbein.weebly.com/.

Robert Bernstein is an educational consultant who has been treating people on the autism spectrum for more than 30 years now. He has helped many hundreds of people with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) across all age groups, from 18 months to those well into their adult years, as they overcame their deficits to catch up to age-appropriate cognitive and behavioral norms. Rob's work with a previously non-speaking child whom he helped to learn to speak was documented in The New York Times and he has also appeared on "Dateline" (NBC) and national radio, hosted "Educating Your Child" (a call-in radio show), and conducted dozens of seminars and presentations.

Society's Child tells the story of Dylan, set in a fictionalized coming-of-age setting inspired by his own life and challenges, in a moving tale of triumph against adversity. Written, directed, and scored by Dylan Rothbein, Society's Child is being executive-produced by Rob Bernstein and produced by Mario Pioli, with production design by Brooke Van Hensenbergen. The film is currently seeking $60,000 in funding for completion of the film's shooting and post-production. Contribute to help the film become a reality at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/society-s-child--2#/.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman