Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 1:16 pm

THE ASPIE HOUR Comes to the 2018 Melbourne International Comedy Festival

Quote:
Be transported somewhere over the spectrum to New York City in The Aspie Hour; an irreverent and inventive cabaret that tackles the many misconceptions about being an "Aspie" today. Sophie Smyth and Ryan Smedley are a fresh, dynamic duo who combine their song-writing and storytelling skills with their own experiences.

The Aspie Hour premiered in October last year at the Ballarat Cabaret Festival, and became the surprise hit. Connecting with Aspies and the neurotypical alike, The Aspie Hour blows away misconceptions about Asperger's Syndrome. Ryan and Sophie explore what it's like to be Aspie through the prism of their identical love: musical theatre.

Sophie and Ryan met while studying at Federation University's Arts Academy in Ballarat, where they both created cabarets about being on the spectrum. Together they flail through misread social cues, exhibit awkward behaviours particularly around mating, and sing the hell out of everything. Ryan shares his solo trip to New York City through the original songs, illustrating the battles he had dealing with his demons. Sophie explores her own spectacular range of psychological issues by framing her life as a musical.

The show has connected brilliantly with people with Asperger's, their family and friends, and, basically, everyone with courage, a brain, and a heart.

The Aspie Hour opens on March 28th (Preview March 27th) and runs until April 5th. Occasional coarse language. Suitable for ages 12 and up.

Tickets are $25-$32 and can be purchased at thebutterflyclub.com.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman