Should I buy my girlfriend a gift that I find distasteful?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 12:26 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
$125 for... earphones.

Really? I couldn't find them for under $300.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 1:24 pm

I've never heard of Bose or Beats :?

At least she's let you know what she likes and doesn't expect you to 'just know'.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 1:34 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
$125 for... earphones.

maybe I googled wrong? Isn’t that a pink Beats? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IYA2R ... eva_mobile

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 1:37 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
$125 for... earphones.

maybe I googled wrong? Isn’t that a pink Beats? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IYA2R ... eva_mobile

No that is wired the one the OP's getting is pauceline rose (posh pink)

garysoneji
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jan 2018, 1:40 pm

I can't buy things for people that I don't agree with. If they want to waste their money on it, that's fine, but I'd rather find them something they want that I find acceptable.

I agree that you shouldn't buy her the ones you prefer even if I agree with your reasoning, but I also don't think you should compromise your values to buy her that over-priced, lesser-quality junk.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

It's these vs these.

Last edited by garysoneji on 28 Jan 2018, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 1:41 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
$125 for... earphones.

No that is wired the one the OP's getting is pauceline rose (posh pink)

My bad...

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 1:48 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Beats-Studio3-Wi ... e+studio+3

Those, I believe.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 3:13 pm

sly279 wrote:
Beats is owned by apple so you’re buying apple a new mansion :p
True
sly279 wrote:
Unlike the others I’d say only get them if yiu can afford them. Is it her birthday?
It's not her birthday but I didn't get her anything when it was her birthday. I think that made her mad lol.
MaxE wrote:
I just checked the price. Yow! they're expensive. But the OP can probably afford it.
They're cheaper than the Bose ones lol
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Retro, are you sure she loves you... for you?
Maybe. The reason I wanted to buy her headphones is because she didn't ask for headphones. She expressed interest in having the headphones and said she can't afford them until after she graduates and gets a job but she didn't ask for them. I figure this way it will be a surprise for her. Girls like surprises, right?

Is she a gold digger? I'm not sure. She's visiting her friends and family in China now. She got really jealous when she found out her friends boyfriend just gives her a quarter of his income (about $800 per month). I told her I wouldn't do that because it would interfere with my plans to buy a house and because I wanted her to be with me because she enjoys spending time with me, not because she wants money.

I think two or three big gifts per year and a scattering of small gifts would be more reasonable (it's the small gifts I struggle with, not with paying for them but with choosing them). As for her friend's boyfriend, it might be necessary for him to be more generous. Thanks to female infanticide in China there's a lot more young men than young women so men like him have to try a lot harder to impress girls. That's necessary for him but not necessary for me.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 5:06 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
True
sly279 wrote:
Unlike the others I’d say only get them if yiu can afford them. Is it her birthday?
It's not her birthday but I didn't get her anything when it was her birthday. I think that made her mad lol.
MaxE wrote:
I just checked the price. Yow! they're expensive. But the OP can probably afford it.
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Maybe. The reason I wanted to buy her headphones is because she didn't ask for headphones. She expressed interest in having the headphones and said she can't afford them until after she graduates and gets a job but she didn't ask for them. I figure this way it will be a surprise for her. Girls like surprises, right?

Is she a gold digger? I'm not sure. She's visiting her friends and family in China now. She got really jealous when she found out her friends boyfriend just gives her a quarter of his income (about $800 per month). I told her I wouldn't do that because it would interfere with my plans to buy a house and because I wanted her to be with me because she enjoys spending time with me, not because she wants money.

I think two or three big gifts per year and a scattering of small gifts would be more reasonable (it's the small gifts I struggle with, not with paying for them but with choosing them). As for her friend's boyfriend, it might be necessary for him to be more generous. Thanks to female infanticide in China there's a lot more young men than young women so men like him have to try a lot harder to impress girls. That's necessary for him but not necessary for me.

Charm bracelet, then you just keep buying new charms that should cover a few years presents.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Is she a gold digger?

Asking for a specific gift doesn't make one a gold digger, no....but however what's much more concerning is this:

Quote:

I'm not sure. She's visiting her friends and family in China now. She got really jealous when she found out her friends boyfriend just gives her a quarter of his income (about $800 per month). I told her I wouldn't do that because it would interfere with my plans to buy a house and because I wanted her to be with me because she enjoys spending time with me, not because she wants money.

I am not going to ask you anything, Retro - instead I am going to ask the WOMEN OF WRONGPLANET.

WOMEN OF WRONGPLANET, don't you see there's a.....a fundamental problem in the bold part above (hint: Like something extremely ugly is forging there)?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 7:20 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
True
sly279 wrote:
MaxE wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Charm bracelet, then you just keep buying new charms that should cover a few years presents.

Yeah, she already suggested a charm bracelet from Pandora.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 7:44 pm

If you can afford it, I think that would be a lovely and appropriate gift which she would receive with delight. It would be very meaningful to her for years to come.

Kristaok
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2018, 8:00 pm

Get her the pink headphones.

-- if it were me though I'd much rather have a cheap pair of earplugs.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 3:54 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
Is she a gold digger?

Asking for a specific gift doesn't make one a gold digger, no....but however what's much more concerning is this:

Quote:

I'm not sure. She's visiting her friends and family in China now. She got really jealous when she found out her friends boyfriend just gives her a quarter of his income (about $800 per month). I told her I wouldn't do that because it would interfere with my plans to buy a house and because I wanted her to be with me because she enjoys spending time with me, not because she wants money.

I am not going to ask you anything, Retro - instead I am going to ask the WOMEN OF WRONGPLANET.

WOMEN OF WRONGPLANET, don't you see there's a.....a fundamental problem in the bold part above (hint: Like something extremely ugly is forging there)?

I admit, I :o when I read it, but Retro seems to be aware that it may or may not be an issue and is paying attention to it. It is hard to tell with Chinese, they are very open about the importance of money in everything.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:09 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
True
sly279 wrote:
MaxE wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Yeah, she already suggested a charm bracelet from Pandora.

Overpriced tat but a lot of people love them. Check out the price of the charms before you get the bracelet so you know what you'll be in for. And you'll always know what to get her for a pressie if you want to get her something because a charm for a bracelet she has and likes can be a surprise without being wrong.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Feb 2018, 4:16 am

This reminds me of an ep of The Simpsons. Homer bought Marge a bowling ball for one of those occasions your supposed to buy presents for. The thing is that Homer is into bowling & Marge isn't. Homer even had his name engraved on the ball. Marge got mad & decided she'd use the ball to go bowling instead of spending time at home doing chores or time with him. A guy started teaching her how to bowl & he had a thing for her or she had a thing for him or both; I don't really remember.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition