Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 8:48 pm

I was told to lose 60 pounds or more. My cholesterol is high and not the good kind of cholesterol. I meet with a dietician soon.

As you all may know I believe in both confidence and health. I do like how I look and once I lose weight I will love how I look even more. What really matters though is not looks. It's my health that matters the most to me in the long run is my health.

If I am as body positive and confident as I say I am...I am going to lower my cholesterol. I'm going to go to the gym as much as I can and do some Wii Fit. I am going to lose weight.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 7:09 am

A large proportion of cholesterol in your body is actually made by your own body, primarily the liver. Your blood test would have shown a breakdown of the different types of cholesterol along with your total cholesterol level. LDL (or "bad") cholesterol causes the issues. HDL (or "good") cholesterol circulates around you attaching to the LDL and helps to remove it from the body, so it has a protective effect.

Dealing with high cholesterol in an overweight person is best managed with a two way approach. Gently increase the amount of activity do you, good old fashioned walking is easy and free. Make the effort to get out and move more. Until you see your dietitian you can still be more conscious of what you eat. Avoid processed food which generally contains "bad" fats. Replace the junk food with natural foods like fruit and vegetables and lean unprocessed meat. Get your fats from foods like nuts and oily fish.

It's great that you are so determined to tackle this head on! By dealing with this now you will be substantially reducing your risks of serious illness as you get older. Your doctor and dietician are on your side and should be able to provide you with lots of guidance. Don't forget to post back here occasionally and let us know about your progress!

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 7:31 am

It's actually processed sugar, which is most responsible for raising the bad cholesterol.

Don't be afraid of eating eggs and meat.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 1:22 pm

I'm worried that if none of this works I will need gastric bypass surgery. I'm sure it would be no big deal since I have had surgery to help my neck, shoulders and back that left me with scars. It still scares me though. What if I end up with excess skin and have to get it removed and that leaves me with even more scars?

If that happens it happens. I'd rather be healthy and not have flawless skin than my skin being perfect and in poor health. I'm going to lose weight either way because I don't have a choice. It's concerning me because I've tried everything possible to lose weight in the past. If my gym time and Wii Fit as well as dietary changes don't help, that will be my last resort.

Like I said, I love myself enough to go through with this. It's just hard with I get told that my skin is beautiful but that may not be the case if I get this surgery. This is hard in general.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Feb 2018, 8:26 am

I 'm dealing with this problem too. I used to be skinny as a kid through my 20s cuz I would eat one big meal a day & not eat much else usually except a few snacks due to being a picky eater who couldn't cook & my mom didn't like cooking special meals for me all the time. I gained some weight after I moved in with my girlfriend cuz I started eating 3 meals a day partly cuz it's more healthy & cuz of meds & supplements I'm on & snacking alittle more. My doc wanted me to lose it & I started exercising more & cut down on snacks. I got to a good BMI so I figured I could lighten up some. 1ce I got out of the habit I started bing-eating & not going out of my way to exercise much at all. I gained all my weight back & then some. I could use to lose 75/100 pounds. My doc said my cholesterol is high along with my blood sugar but I've been gaining weight since then due to having a hard time changing habits. I recently started really trying to cut out the binging on snacks & I started doing alittle exercising inside. Walking was part of my exercise before but it's hard getting back into that habit especially since it's really cold this time of year. It's probably better if I make minor changes at 1st anyways if I can actually stick to em this time. I would exercise more inside but I keep forgetting. I don't want to do everything at 1ce & rather do it a few times a day.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 3:17 am

your grandparents' generation had it right, fattening food is primarily starchy stuff combined with fatty stuff. you can have EITHER the fatty stuff OR the starchy stuff but never both combined which is the #1 cause of over-acidic body chemistry and the hypercholesterolemia/atherosclerosis that comes along for the ride. that is not the greatest way to go but it is a minimum, the best bet is avoid refined carbs such as sugar, flour, white potatoes/rice/corn, grits and such- white colored foods in general. at the very least, NO SUGAR. that includes things like honey and agave syrup and fructose in general, especially concentrated fruit juices.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 11:16 am

Cholesterol is not really a "bad" guy. It is an indicator of bad things going on. Cholesterol is like road workers, after roads were damaged by some natural disaster, there will be a lot of road workers fixing roads, but they are not the reason of damage.

To lower your cholesterol levels you should address your health first, including your lifestyle and diet.

Cutting dietary cholesterol or medications like statin is the last thing you should consider. It's like getting rid of road workers and expect damaged roads to fix themselves.

Losing weight should not be your primary concern when you choose your diet. Choose diet targeted to manage chronic inflammation and healthy in general.

I would recommend anti-inflammatory kind of paleo and/or ketogenic. I find ketogenic diet the most beneficial for health, including weight management. But you should remember to consume enough food rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Munching on only fried bacon is technically ketogenic, but not healthy at all.

Be aware that too many dieticians give very counter-productive and plain harmful advise. Take it with a huge grain of salt. Most of them studied outdated textbooks written when dietary guidelines were completely made up without any real science to back them up.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 11:46 am

Better fat with clean pipes than thin with them clogged; that’s for sure. Try to lose weight, but if you want to gorge on something fatty, make sure it’s vegetable fat.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 12:01 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Better fat with clean pipes than thin with them clogged; that’s for sure. Try to lose weight, but if you want to gorge on something fatty, make sure it’s vegetable fat.

This advise is one of those plain harmful. Vegetable fat considered healthy bcos it doesn't contain cholesterol. But "bad" dietary cholesterol myth was debunked years ago. Vegetable fat is rich in pro-inflammatory Omega-6 fatty acids, which cause chronic inflammation, which rises your cholesterol levels.

You should avoid vegetable fat, especially processed refined vegetable oils and margarine. There are some exceptions like avocado, coconut butter and flaxseed oil. But that's basically it.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 6:09 pm

badRobot wrote:
Cholesterol is not really a "bad" guy. It is an indicator of bad things going on. Cholesterol is like road workers, after roads were damaged by some natural disaster, there will be a lot of road workers fixing roads, but they are not the reason of damage.

To lower your cholesterol levels you should address your health first, including your lifestyle and diet.

Cutting dietary cholesterol or medications like statin is the last thing you should consider. It's like getting rid of road workers and expect damaged roads to fix themselves.

Losing weight should not be your primary concern when you choose your diet. Choose diet targeted to manage chronic inflammation and healthy in general.

I would recommend anti-inflammatory kind of paleo and/or ketogenic. I find ketogenic diet the most beneficial for health, including weight management. But you should remember to consume enough food rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Munching on only fried bacon is technically ketogenic, but not healthy at all.

Be aware that too many dieticians give very counter-productive and plain harmful advise. Take it with a huge grain of salt. Most of them studied outdated textbooks written when dietary guidelines were completely made up without any real science to back them up.

I have changed my diet a lot recently. I've been eating super healthy, no excessive dietary cholesterol.

My weight goes up and down from the 230s, 240s and 250s. I had no knee pain at 220 and I walked and exercised frequently. Fried foods and fast food gross me out so I don't really eat those things.

Honestly, my mom and I think the "60 pounds or more" goal is unrealistic and I honestly don't think it's going to solve any problems. When I weighed 185 (this was in high school) I never exercised and my eating habits were terrible. I loved junk food and maybe that's why the cholesterol is high because I ate so much of it in my teenage years.

Weight loss other than 20 or 30 pounds drives me insane. I get very obsessive, have anger problems and panic attacks galore. When I'm at 210-225, I feel physically, emotionally and mentally together and got a clean bill of health (from what I remember).

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 8:10 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I have changed my diet a lot recently. I've been eating super healthy, no excessive dietary cholesterol.

Would you mind to elaborate, what super healthy means. Limiting your dietary cholesterol is not super healthy. Read my message.

I guess your doc gave you the same standard outdated harmful advise as they usually do.

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:

My weight goes up and down from the 230s, 240s and 250s. I had no knee pain at 220 and I walked and exercised frequently. Fried foods and fast food gross me out so I don't really eat those things.

Honestly, my mom and I think the "60 pounds or more" goal is unrealistic and I honestly don't think it's going to solve any problems. When I weighed 185 (this was in high school) I never exercised and my eating habits were terrible. I loved junk food and maybe that's why the cholesterol is high because I ate so much of it in my teenage years.

Weight loss other than 20 or 30 pounds drives me insane. I get very obsessive, have anger problems and panic attacks galore. When I'm at 210-225, I feel physically, emotionally and mentally together and got a clean bill of health (from what I remember).

Weight tends to normalize naturally when you follow healthy diet and lifestyle.