Are there any bad games you have nostalgia for?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2018, 11:03 pm

I played Sonic R on the PC when I was little, and I'll always love it. The controls are bad, the characters are unbalanced and there isn't much content, but it still manages to charm me.

I also have nostalgia for a lot of licensed games on the Game Boy Advanced: Lion King 1/2, Jake Long American Dragon, and The SpongeBob Squarepants Movie, to name a few. Nearly every game I played back then was a licensed one. I guess it goes to show how easy it is to keep a little kid entertained.

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2018, 9:32 am

Sonic adventu- *Hears angry yelling*
I know I know but hear me out.
The controls are clunky, the cameras awful, the story's weird, it's riddled with glitches... I could go on.
However I still love the game. Despite all this it has a great soundtrack and it's damn fun to play with other people.

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2018, 10:01 am

I've always been curious about Sonic Adventure; people are always fighting about it (and its sequel), so it would be nice to form my own opinion. And some parts of it look like a lot of fun. I thought about getting the GameCube version a few years ago, but I decided to get Sonic Gems Collection instead. Now I can't play it since my Wii doesn't work anymore (I had it set up to play GameCube games).

A part of me is hoping that Sega will do a remake of Sonic Adventure at some point, but I doubt that'll happen. It's so hard to have confidence in Sega anymore...

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2018, 10:08 am

Masakados wrote:
Sonic adventu- *Hears angry yelling*
I know I know but hear me out.
The controls are clunky, the cameras awful, the story's weird, it's riddled with glitches... I could go on.
However I still love the game. Despite all this it has a great soundtrack and it's damn fun to play with other people.

I have the directlrs cut edition, not sure how different it is from the normal one, but I love the hell out of it.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 2:27 pm

Serious Sam 2. I don't know but ask any Serious Sam fan and they will tell you much of a black sheep this game is in the series. I enjoyed it because its more comedic tone stands out more than any other FPS game I've ever seen in the past several years. I look forward to seeing how Croteam remakes this game to fall in line the more recent games in the series.

Megaman Star Force trilogy. Megaman fans claimed this series ruined the franchise. Others say its Battle Network light gameplay doesn't really hold a candle to its predecessor. I liked it because it was easier to play than Battle Network. I enjoyed every moment of these games.

Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed. It has its moments despite having different voice actors, inferior graphics, and a departure from the Havoc Engine. Like Serious Sam 2, this game is a guilty pleasure.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 9:46 pm

Turok Evolution. This game was received so poorly that it killed the Turok series and made Acclaim go bankrupt. I however have a soft spot for it. I enjoyed the combat though I hated the flying missions. There's so many little good things to enjoy like you can disarm an enemy and it acts like a coward and you can choose whether or not to spare its life; it doesn't make a difference if you do. The game could have been better if more time and money was spent on it. It also could have been a good origin story if more plot was added. All and all it's another guilty pleasure.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 7:30 am

I used to play an MMO called Tibia. It was played from a top down perspective, was a massive grind, and you could be the target of PKs at any time on PVP servers. Even with PVP off you could be still killed by players indirectly, like having them body block you in a room with deadly enemies. When you died you lost something like 10% of your TOTAL experience, meaning you could lose levels which could represent days of gameplay, and you randomly would drop equipped items which could have similarly taken many days to earn enough gold to buy.

For some reason I occasionally get nostalgic for this game and I've even reinstalled it recently, before realising there's a reason why I don't even play so called casual MMOs anymore. They're just a massive waste of time and invariably nothing more than an endless grind for progressively bigger numbers. (goes off to play OrbusVR, almost about to ding).

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2018, 7:29 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
Turok Evolution. This game was received so poorly that it killed the Turok series and made Acclaim go bankrupt. I however have a soft spot for it. I enjoyed the combat though I hated the flying missions. There's so many little good things to enjoy like you can disarm an enemy and it acts like a coward and you can choose whether or not to spare its life; it doesn't make a difference if you do. The game could have been better if more time and money was spent on it. It also could have been a good origin story if more plot was added. All and all it's another guilty pleasure.

I remember playing this at a freinds house on his ps2 when I was a kid... that game was awesome.
Im looking at getting my own ps2 right now and thats gonna be one of the first i get.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 8:36 am

I know most people would disagree with me, but I feel like most of the GTA games are pretty bad. I like to play the first game sometimes, even though the framerate is awful, and you can't save until you finish the entire level. We used to play the demo a lot back when it came out and we were all angsty teenagers =)

GTA2 I don't think I played until Rockstar started giving it away for free (I didn't have the hardware to run it back when it came out), but still, playing it today, the whole atmosphere of the game really brings me back to 1999. It's definitely a lot more polished than other games in the series, so I don't know if I'd consider it a "bad game", but the whole business of having to keep your gang factions balanced gets real frustrating real fast >_< At least they let you save your progress now, even if it does cost a lot of money.

I'm sure I could think of some other bad games I have nostalgia for, but these ones came to mind quickly, since I've been playing them lately.

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
For some reason I occasionally get nostalgic for this game and I've even reinstalled it recently, before realising there's a reason why I don't even play so called casual MMOs anymore. They're just a massive waste of time and invariably nothing more than an endless grind for progressively bigger numbers.

Same here. I've always wanted to get into MMOs, but then when I finally play one, I lose interest real quick. I'd rather play something like Phantasy Star Online.

But I still get the urge to explore the classics like Meridian 59, Ultima Online, and EverQuest. If I could just explore them without having to grind, that would be awesome.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 3:21 pm

I've always wondered about the ending to an old game called Quest 64. My brother either rented or borrowed it for his N64, but hated it so much he returned it ASAP.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 7:44 pm

I'm probably the only person who liked Quest 64 :oops: I don't remember the ending, though...I want to say that it kind of promised a sequel that never happened, or maybe that was just wishful thinking.

I've read that the GBC port is supposed to be a bit more fleshed out, but I've never tried it.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 10:47 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I'm probably the only person who liked Quest 64 :oops: I don't remember the ending, though...I want to say that it kind of promised a sequel that never happened, or maybe that was just wishful thinking.

I've read that the GBC port is supposed to be a bit more fleshed out, but I've never tried it.

I didn't think it was that bad, either, just very different from other RPGs.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 8:42 am

Canary wrote:
I didn't think it was that bad, either, just very different from other RPGs.

It was geared more towards beginners, sort of like Mystic Quest was, but I enjoyed that game as well ¬_¬ I think it helps that both games have great soundtracks, too. The camera was kind of awful, but all games were like that back then.

I think a lot of people were just expecting it to be N64's answer to Final Fantasy VII, and were disappointed that it was nothing like that. I played it a bit a few weeks ago, and I forgot how much of the game is spent just wandering around, and it seemed like there was a 50% chance that any room or house you entered would be empty =) But I've always been kind of obsessive about making sure I've checked everywhere before moving on.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 9:18 am

BTW, I know I shouldn't say this, because it's a terrible joke...but I find it quite amusing that a thread that was started by a "coalminer" managed to attract a "Canary".

(don't hurt me) :|

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 5:43 pm

The "Magic 8 Ball.'

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2018, 6:44 am

Koudelka

Created by a team of former Squaresoft guys. I've never completed it and have owned and traded it in countless times. But it's now a rare find. I haven't seen it about in years. Would love to get my hands on a copy to play again. Even though it is undoubtedly quite s**t.

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!