Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 5:14 am

I’ve had different experiences than this article is about, but still, I think it’s rather interesting and could lead to better treatments.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/op ... b658c46a21

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 5:41 am

very interesting article, it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 7:29 pm

Definitely applies to a lot of cases of depression. The thing about this that annoys me personally is that it's not new. None of this is new to the field of psychology, at all. There are actually several books available to the public, popular books at that, that delve into this.

Regardless, personally I don't feel shame and I know full well it wasn't my fault. I never blamed myself. I accept and understand that terrible things can happen to me and there's little I can do to prevent them a lot of the time. I also accept and understand that this is life, that there is plenty of good and beauty in the world.
I still have clinical depression. :shrug:

I am a Bookwyrm.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 10:32 am

^^ Yes, I agree, it seems rather like research from the "University of the Blindingly Obvious" to me. Whenever I've been given a prescription for med's and the little lecture about "chemical imbalances", it's always left me wondering how depression is thought an "abnormal" reaction to the social and economic isolation that I've always experienced.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 6:49 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
^^ Yes, I agree, it seems rather like research from the "University of the Blindingly Obvious"

:lol: Really, though.

Trogluddite wrote:
Whenever I've been given a prescription for med's and the little lecture about "chemical imbalances", it's always left me wondering how depression is thought an "abnormal" reaction to the social and economic isolation that I've always experienced.

Agreed. It seems like the appropriate response, to me. If something is significantly negative, I would find a happy and pleasant response to be abnormal. Psychology is a deeply frustrating subject for me in general though. I studied it in High School as an additional course for prep because I was going to be a Psych Major. But the further down the rabbit hole I got, the less it made sense, which is entirely opposite of it's whole point in my view.

I am a Bookwyrm.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 6:34 pm

^ My interest in psychology has only ever been amateur, but I get the same feeling about it very often. I find myself now always second-guessing whatever I've read - not just questioning its veracity, but also to what extent it would apply to me as an autistic person, and so a rare outlier whenever experimental data is analysed. It makes me wonder even if I have dismissed some aspects of psychology because I don't find them applicable to me, yet they would stand up to scrutiny when applied to the non-autistic people around me. Certainly a "rabbit hole", alright!

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 6:39 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
^ My interest in psychology has only ever been amateur, but I get the same feeling about it very often. I find myself now always second-guessing whatever I've read - not just questioning its veracity, but also to what extent it would apply to me as an autistic person, and so a rare outlier whenever experimental data is analysed. It makes me wonder even if I have dismissed some aspects of psychology because I don't find them applicable to me, yet they would stand up to scrutiny when applied to the non-autistic people around me. Certainly a "rabbit hole", alright!

Well that's supposed to be what you're taught, if you're going into being a Psych Major. That's so vast a field there is quite literally no definitive limits in general. Almost anything is possible, because there are so many variations and so many different minds. All of Psychology is basically a game of 20 questions with Human Nature. We actually know much less than we think about the Whats, less about the Hows, and even less about the Whys.

Not to mention, as much as we can understand other people better than we can, say, a dog.. it's still more or less another human mind trying to know itself by looking at someone else. Makes little sense. We've had relative good fortune on the science aspect of it all, trial and error has brought us much closer to the core of things. But, like another thread debate about depression, the science of it is not the only factor involved.

My point on psychology is that while it's not a nowhere road, I feel it's stifled quite a bit by an overly clinical approach and that if it were more acceptable to have freedom of thought and fluidity of ideas in approaching psychological issues we would likely make greater progress.

I am a Bookwyrm.