Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Ekrulom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2018, 6:04 am

Good day

How do you help a 7 year old boy with Aspergers to get rid of an obsession with Chucky.
He saw a poster and now he is collecting info from adults and it's all that he talks about.
Cutting off heads and what ever!! ! Scary stuff.
He is even changing his sister's dolls into that face.

Please advise.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 7:20 am

Introduce him to Freddy instead?

In all seriousness, you'd really have to get him interested in something else. In the mean time, you could try demeaning the idea of Chucky a little by pointing out he's not real, and perhaps going so far as to do have him do some research on how the doll was manufactured, etc. While I'm sure he already knows the doll isn't real, he probably isn't thinking about it. By having him really grasp the details, it might dawn on him that it's just a doll used to make money in movies. You have to try to use logic.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 4:56 am

I have a little story about my son's recent interest on dreidels. It started with him watching a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Z8OjDW3AQ around 4:15), where there was a song with the lyrics:

I have a little dreidel
I made it out of clay
and when it's dry and ready
oh dreidel I shall play

I have a little dreidel
I made it out of wood
I really like to spin it
but splitters are not good

I have a little dreidel
I made in my shanty
I like my little dreidel
'cuz it's made of (TNT)! (Explosion)

He would sing the song and giggle non-stop. Frankly I had no idea what a dreidel was, and had to google it. Once I figured it out, I ordered some dreidels from Amazon. I played the dreidel game with my son, and taught him about the four Hebrew letters (Gimel ג, Nun נ, Hey ה and Shin ש) and their respective actions (take all, take none, take half, and put in one more.) I played the game with 3 tortilla chips for each person. My son won the first game. He came up with an idea, and told me he was going to build his own "dreidel store" for the game.

Here is the finished "dreidel store" where he has put in the tortilla chips and a giant "Don't Eat" sign. In the enlarged image of the entrance to the dreidel store, one could see the four Hebrew letters and the meanings of their actions. Notice the doors and windows, too. He also made some additional drawings of the dreidels and their Hebrew letters.

Because the song also mentioned about splinters, so I helped him google for "splinter" in Wikipedia, where it had this picture:

It was just so interesting to see how he got all excited about something as tiny as a dreidel. See, the thing is, as long as I followed his interest, he really appreciated anything I did for him. It started just with a song with some words that he did not even understand.

Actually there are some follow-up stories to the dreidels.

During a long weekend afterward, my wife took the kids to their grandparents' place. It was always a long way back home. So, partly because of the trip's effect on my son's sleep pattern, partly because in grandparents' place my wife always had less opportunity to provide attention to my son, and partly because my son was about to get sick, the following night after they came back my son was fairly tired. He was in bed when I asked him to go to the bathroom for one last time. He complied but got upset. When he came back to bed he was all in tears, saying that his energy now was way too low. I did not do much except taking notice that he was mad.

Next evening, at the dinner table, I asked him what happened last night when I asked him to go use the bathroom. He then explained that his energy was too low after going to the bathroom. I then told him: "Was life tough when you had to go to the bathroom?" He said, "yeah." I then pointed out to him that he had fun playing the dreidel game and building his dreidel store. I asked him: "Was life fun when you played with the dreidels and built your dreidel store?" He said, "yeah." Then I told him: "Sometimes life is tough... sometimes life is fun, right?" And he said, "yeah." That night, when I asked my daughter to go use the bathroom for one last time, I glanced at my son... since I gave him a bath like 45 minutes ago, I thought that it was OK for him to skip the final bathroom visit. I did not want to upset him again, anyway. To my surprise, my son then told me: "And now I am going to use the bathroom" and went for his final bathroom visit. I was like: "Wow!" I brought up the topic at dinner table just as a reminder, frankly I was thinking in taking him out for fun activities the next day and only then use those fun activities to connect to his negative episode to remove his bad feelings. To my surprise, even the dinner table talk worked. By connecting my son's negative episode to dreidels, I have succeeded in removing his bad feelings.

A few evenings later, my children's auntie called via video chat. I've recently installed a laptop that had wide-angle webcam with wireless keyboard/trackpad in the family room and hooked it up to the big screen TV, so to facilitate video conferencing. The auntie asked my son about his dreidels, and he went through the whole spiel and explained the four Hebrew letters and their actions. He showed and explained his dreidel store and rolled a dreidel as a demo for his auntie. He also sang the dreidel song for his auntie. Basically, he gave a full presentation.

So, from a simple song, my son now has developed a whole lot more connections inside his brain.

And that is how I develop my children and turn them into happy children with big smiles, every day. Other autistic children are not nearly as fortunate.

- - - - -

As I always tell people, my son learned all the skills he'll ever need to learn in life, from elevators. From elevators he learned to talk, to draw, to write, to type, to do math, to assemble building block toys, to assemble electronic circuits, to write computer programs, to socialize, to start conversation with strangers, to get rid of some sensory and rigidity issues, etc.

I knew a boy who was interested in watching YouTube video clips on airline accidents and shipwrecks. His parents discouraged him from watching those video clips, because they found their son's interest to be too morbid. Do you think the boy ever developed properly? Of course not. Last time I saw the boy, he was googling about how to get away from his parents by seeking to be adopted by other families. Ha ha.

My son was once interested in a few other songs. One was about a Maharaja having spicy food and hurting his butt the next day (it had a passage on "It burns burns burns, in my mouth, and tomorrow in my butt"). Another song was about norwhals with a passage warning about "just don't let them touch your balls." Sure, probably not age appropriate for little children. But did I get bothered by these songs? Nope, I joined him in his singing. (I did warn him not to sing in school, though.)

The thing is, autistic children have narrow interests. Instead of joining their children in those special interests, many parents try instead to discourage these children from those interests. See, parents create problems where there were none. The parents end up hurting the self-esteem of their children, and cut off all the pathways for developing the neural connections inside the brains of these children. And then the parents later complain that their children have temper issues, or that their children are behind.

Autistic children have zero problems. All the issues are created by the adults. Adults spend all their energy on totally irrelevant issues (like trying to teach their children to talk or to socialize), and furthermore prevent their children from developing from their special interests. Adults turns the lives of autistic children totally upside-down, and make everybody's life miserable. So, tell me, who are the really mentally ill?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 5:13 am

eikonabridge wrote:
The thing is, autistic children have narrow interests. Instead of joining their children in those special interests, many parents try instead to discourage these children from those interests. See, parents create problems where there were none. The parents end up hurting the self-esteem of their children, and cut off all the pathways for developing the neural connections inside the brains of these children. And then the parents later complain that their children have temper issues, or that their children are behind.

Autistic children have zero problems. All the issues are created by the adults. Adults spend all their energy on totally irrelevant issues (like trying to teach their children to talk or to socialize), and furthermore prevent their children from developing from their special interests. Adults turns the lives of autistic children totally upside-down, and make everybody's life miserable. So, tell me, who are the really mentally ill?

^THIS^

I really wish there was a way to favorite comments here. Anyway, the WORST thing my mother did to me and something I probably will always be resentful of her for is trying to limit my special interests and prevent me from acessing them which were NOT harmful.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 5:20 am

... :)

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 5:23 am

Ekrulom wrote:
Good day

How do you help a 7 year old boy with Aspergers to get rid of an obsession with Chucky.
He saw a poster and now he is collecting info from adults and it's all that he talks about.

Please advise.

It's possible that his interests actually stems from a fear of Chucky and he is just trying to process something he has such a hard time wrapping his head around. My little niece on the spectrum does this. When something scares her, she obsesses about it and this comes across as excitement rather than fear, even though these things scare her. She used to talk about these things directly but now she will invent code words to talk about them.

I agree with the others that you should attempt to distract him. Where did a 7 year old even see Chucky?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 7:28 pm

Chronos wrote:
Ekrulom wrote:
Good day

Please advise.

It's possible that his interests actually stems from a fear of Chucky and he is just trying to process something he has such a hard time wrapping his head around. My little niece on the spectrum does this. When something scares her, she obsesses about it and this comes across as excitement rather than fear, even though these things scare her. She used to talk about these things directly but now she will invent code words to talk about them.

I agree with the others that you should attempt to distract him. Where did a 7 year old even see Chucky?

I used to do that too with things I was afraid of and couldn't make disapear.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 11:54 am

I totally forgot that a few months ago my son was also into emulating Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th. He saw that on the Roblox game: https://www.roblox.com/library/255434456/Jason-Voorhees
My son actually made a paper hockey mask and a paper chainsaw. Here is the photoshopped version, but you get the idea. Really cute.
The point is, there is no need to worry about bizarre interests from your children. You can always take these interests positively, and turn them into educational opportunities. That's how you can help them develop. Don't suppress their interests!

Ekrulom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2018, 11:03 pm

Where did a 7 year old even see Chucky?[/quote]

Good day

He saw a poster of chucky in a videoshop's window.
He asked the lady what is his name and she told him.
That's where everything started.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 4:44 am

Ekrulom wrote:
Where did a 7 year old even see Chucky?

Good day

He saw a poster of chucky in a videoshop's window.
He asked the lady what is his name and she told him.
That's where everything started.[/quote]

Have you tried redirecting him to Transformers or X-Men, or some type of super hero character?

Ekrulom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2018, 1:02 am

Have you tried redirecting him to Transformers or X-Men, or some type of super hero character?[/quote]

Good day everyone

Thank you so much for all your replies and feedback.
We actually tried to think logic, like someone suggested and came up with the following.
We are busy making him a new character that he designed and created himself and
we are going to put it for him into book form.

This is working very good, as he is now a writer.
We decided to work with the grain of Chucky, in stead of working against the grain.

Kind Regards
Manda

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 12:57 pm

This is pretty interesting. I've read stories about people seeing Child's Play as kids and they developed a phobia of dolls, especially interactive talking dolls or the ones too much in the "uncanny valley" department. One person even said they gave away their Teddy Ruxpin, but made sure he went to a nice home with a good owner so he wouldn't come back to murder them in their sleep. :lol:

They actually have real dolls of Chucky and his bride Tiffany. Chucky looks just plain hideous because his face is all stitched up, but Tiffany looks kind of cool with a leather jacket over her bridal gown and black boots.