Hi, I'm 20 years old and happy to have found this website

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2018, 9:41 am

I enjoy TV commercials, videogames, movies, TV shows, opening/closing logos, pets, swimming, and cooking. I'm finding it isn't easy becoming an adult. I am looking forward to making new friends and finding useful tips on this site.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 9:51 am

On my behalf, welcome to WP. c:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 6:04 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 10:56 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :mrgreen:

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on January 30, 2018)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 4:54 pm

Being an adult is rubbish, don't bother. Welcome to Wrong Planet :D

Are you more into the artwork side of adverts or the psychology of getting people to buy stuff?

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2018, 1:07 pm

The artwork and creativeness of the ads. I usually use Vimeo to look up really neat commercials. In the ad side, it's mostly VFX Studios that use Vimeo, and I really like it when a famous VFX studio from outside of my own country (Canada) does a commercial for that market.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2018, 1:08 pm

Also I don't use my Ipad because the Vimeo app on it is really glitchy. Like, for example, Goodbye Kansas (Swedish VFX studio) has 300+ videos on Vimeo, but on the Ipad, only 8 will show up.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 8:02 am

advertisingfan123 wrote:
The artwork and creativeness of the ads. I usually use Vimeo to look up really neat commercials. In the ad side, it's mostly VFX Studios that use Vimeo, and I really like it when a famous VFX studio from outside of my own country (Canada) does a commercial for that market.

Is that because they make mistakes? I always look in car adverts here to see if the car is on the wrong side of the road. Sometimes it's just a clip of the steering wheel on the wrong side. Sometimes they edit it with clips that are obviously supposed to show it is here when it isn't.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2018, 2:32 pm

I don't usually look for mistakes, I simply pay attention to either humor or visual effects, if the ad I'm watching has any.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2018, 2:34 pm

Usually if a car is driving on the wrong side of the road in a TV advert/commercial, it means that the ad is filmed in a country that drives on the opposite side of the road compared to the country the ad is meant for. (UK drives on left, but most other countries drive on the right). I know that a lot of ads, regardless of the country they're meant for, are filmed in Canada, or Eastern Europe, or South Africa.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2018, 11:04 am

Also, I was wondering if you've ever heard of this website:

https://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/sea ... ommercials

Basically, it's a collection of many British adverts from 1955 to 2012. Most of the award-winning ones are on there.

Tip: If you're a fan of Stop-Frame animation, try searching "Aardman". (Creators of Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run, etc.) You'll get most of their British commercials, along with some European and American ones.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 2:58 am

I remember the Creature Comfort adverts when they were on telly :D

I hadn't herd of that site but I took a look at their 1920 adverts,I'm a writer and that's when my book is set. I describe adverts from the times in it because they were so large and were all over a lot of the buildings. I use old photographs from book like 'Lost London'. One of them has an advertisement for an Electric Corset, It promises to cure pretty much everything :D .

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2018, 10:28 am

That book sounds pretty cool. I hope to write about my experiences with autism, so I could be a role model to other, younger autistic children. Any other adverts you remember?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 2:56 pm

Around in 1920? The ones for Obesity Soap, promises to wash away fat and wrinkles. Ovum Thorley's Poultry Spice (that's attached to the outside of a pet shop) Lots for Toilet Saloons, Rag Traders, and Chimney Sweeps. A lot of the photos are from earlier there's one of from 1896 with a horse drawn omnibus covered in advertisements for Nestles and Hovis. Tea coffee and cocoa are offered at 1d (penny) per pint.

If you meant remember from youth, 'Follow The Bear' (it was for beer) and the 'Sid' advert which was for the privatisation of either British Telecom or British Gas. It wasn't a great advert except that it got people talking about it, which must have been the point.

Great that you are thinking of writing about being autistic because if someone is 12-18 when they're diagnosed or think they might be on the spectrum, I don't think something written by someone in their 40's is going to address the same issues convincingly, so much has changed in how autism is dealt with in young people, and in the importance of technology.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2018, 5:51 pm

If you're still using that site I recommended, I have some tips for you.

since Aardman is the only searchable company on the site, I recommend trying to search directors.

live-action example: Ridley Scott

2D Animation examples: Simon Wells, Eric Goldberg, Richard Williams, Richard Purdum, Jerry Hibbert, Graham Ralph, Oscar Grillo, Geoff Dunbar, Ginger Gibbons, Nigel Pay, Russell Hall, Pete Candeland, Chuck Gammage, etc.