Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2018, 10:07 pm

Because you are lonely and depressed. No one says you have to be like any of them, you just need not to be excluded.

You could take the easy option and run away and move somewhere else, though I suspect that won't solve your problem in itself. Where you are might be an extreme, but the rules of social groups are roughly the same wherever you go.

But I suggest you at least do something.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 12:25 am

thewheel wrote:
Because you are lonely and depressed. No one says you have to be like any of them, you just need not to be excluded.

You could take the easy option and run away and move somewhere else, though I suspect that won't solve your problem in itself. Where you are might be an extreme, but the rules of social groups are roughly the same wherever you go.

But I suggest you at least do something.

Moving out would not be any easier. In fact, it would be harder due to needing the finances and right social connections.

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2018, 6:56 am

Easier in the sense that it's easier psychologicaly speaking to pretend to yourself that simply changing environment is what you need than having to face the fact that you may be going about things the wrong way. I've lived in a few quite different places now, and I took my problems with me.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 11:31 am

Depression is not easy to get through. I have family members who have gone through decades with it and one of them had to go through ECT to finally achieve some sort of functionality.

I see so many things the reinforce my feelings. I keep encountering people who are anti-intellectual and proud of it. I try to be open minded and knowledgeable and I get the "weirdo" tag.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 7:04 pm

Marknis wrote:
Depression is not easy to get through. I have family members who have gone through decades with it and one of them had to go through ECT to finally achieve some sort of functionality.

I see so many things the reinforce my feelings. I keep encountering people who are anti-intellectual and proud of it. I try to be open minded and knowledgeable and I get the "weirdo" tag.

I hope you find a community to go to online at least. Sounds rough. I have seemingly incurable depression that needs meds and I know that being in a stifling, sickening atmosphere like that makes it way worse.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 8:24 pm

There are many open-minded and "weird" people in Austin.......

I get the same thing all the time, Mark. All the time. All the same crap.

Even from my wife.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 1:32 pm

thewheel wrote:
Ok, lets say it's all society's fault.

Now what? You gonna stay depressed forever?

that was a nasty thing to say.

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2018, 7:30 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
thewheel wrote:
Ok, lets say it's all society's fault.

Now what? You gonna stay depressed forever?

that was a nasty thing to say.

No, I don't think you've comprehended what I was saying correctly, it should not be taken literally. I was being deliberately facetious to make a point.

I was taking his way of thinking to its logical conclusion, demonstrating why it's a stupid way of looking at the world because it deliberately makes you feel incapable of changing things. If you blame something you cannot control for your problems you give up on the idea you have the power to change things. The whole problem with depression is it distorts the way you think in precisely this self-defeating way.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 10:31 pm

Are you taking any antidepressants? I feel like I'm a broken record, but combining antidepressants with exercise helps a lot. It would almost certainly get you out of your depression and then it would allow you to assess your life.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 11:11 pm

AspieSingleDad wrote:
Are you taking any antidepressants? I feel like I'm a broken record, but combining antidepressants with exercise helps a lot. It would almost certainly get you out of your depression and then it would allow you to assess your life.

I tend to grow immune to antidepressants and exercise doesn't really help me. I wish I had all the time I lost going to a gym back. All it did was make me hot and sweaty and girls did not come running to me like the jock morons said they would.