Anyone else in the San Francisco bay area?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2018, 1:53 pm

I recently moved back home to live with my parents temporarily. I'm 32 years old and a female. I've tried looking for AS groups to meet some friends, but it seems all the groups I've found cater to people in their teens and early 20s. I'm really lonely and would just like to meet people who are also on the spectrum that want to do activities or just hang out once in a while on the weekends. I have 1 friend but she works all the time and is never available to do anything. Is anyone out there? :(

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 1:56 pm

300 miles south. :?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2018, 2:36 pm

If I remember correctly, my WP friend Kinme has moved to San Francisco a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I don't see her around on WP anymore.

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 3:01 pm

Like Kip, I am 300 miles South of you, but I have noticed a few members mention that they are in or near SF. Perhaps they'll chime in, shortly. I joined a Meetup hiking group (not ASD related), and have connected with a fellow Aspie in the group. Have you explored the Meetup website? If not, you might find a group to join that suits you. If you do not like groups, which was my hesitancy to join, you could perhaps connect with a member or two, then, leave the group if you find you don't fancy it. Good luck.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 3:50 pm

I'm three-hours drive from the SF-Bay Area.

What are the experiences with Aspergers in the SF Bay Area - esp. the North SF Bay Area?

Temple Grandin made an observation that the SF Bay Area has a higher than average population on the Autism Spectrum. Hence, can it be said that the SF Bay-Area is "ahead of the curve" regarding awareness with the Autism Spectrum?

How many people on the spectrum are acquainted with those terrific people who prove helpful to adults with Aspergers?

As this post is in the 'Social Skills & Making Friends Forum', such terrific people understanding of the Autism Spectrum would present the least challenges towards developing friendships!

"And, yes, we all know that quality people are hard to come-by!"

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 4:17 pm

About 300 miles north of you.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 9:53 pm

2,907 miles southeast, might be a bit of a walk. Best of luck finding some people to hang out with.

mjames72
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Feb 2018, 2:05 pm

Please can you post links to the late teens early 20s meetup groups in the SF area? I am 22 years old and I live there.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2018, 6:39 pm

Oh well....

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 2:44 pm

Anybody reconsider the 'San Francisco Adult Asperger Self Help Meetup' (AASHM)? As of this post, (AASHM) has 583 members!

With almost 600 members, AASHM is likely that six-degrees of separation from those terrific people (that also includes NTs) who've proven beneficial to adults with Aspergers.

As mentioned previously in this discussion thread, such terrific people understanding of the Autism Spectrum would present the least challenges towards developing friendships!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 11:20 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Anybody reconsider the 'San Francisco Adult Asperger Self Help Meetup' (AASHM)? As of this post, (AASHM) has 583 members!

With almost 600 members, AASHM is likely that six-degrees of separation from those terrific people (that also includes NTs) who've proven beneficial to adults with Aspergers.

As mentioned previously in this discussion thread, such terrific people understanding of the Autism Spectrum would present the least challenges towards developing friendships!

ADDENDUM: This Saturday, Feb. 10th, the 'San Francisco Adult Asperger Self Help Meetup' (AASHM) (LINK) is having their monthly meeting!

For anybody on WP who attends the AASHM meeting, and posts meeting experiences to WP, it might just provide that boost towards helpful resources, and friendships both in, and even outside the SF Bay Area!!

LINK: https://www.meetup.com/asperger/?_cooki ... 6RF2RRpoLk

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 1:43 am

I wish I live closer, I live in California, near LA.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 6:54 pm

About 3,000 miles ENE.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 1:32 pm

Any feedback on the 'San Francisco Adult Asperger Self Help Meetups' (AASHM)???

Not to go off-topic on SF Bay Area, there is an agency in the Boston Area (AANE) Asperger/Autism Network (LINK) which appears to offer excellent resources for adults on the spectrum. Might experiences with AANE be of interest to AASHM in SF?

AANE appears to be "ahead of the curve" regarding the concerns of adults with Aspergers.

LINK: http://www.aane.org/resources/adults/

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2018, 5:15 pm

Anyone???

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 12:26 pm

Stardust Parade wrote:
Anyone???

Thank-you for bumping-up this discussion thread after several weeks.

The 'San Francisco Adult Asperger Self Help Meetups' (AASHM) (as mentioned in my previous post) seems like a good place to network in SF.

AASHM has monthly meetings.

Good luck!