Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 4:47 pm

When, I wonder, does one cross over to the other? I have a diagnosis that’s not included as a ‘psychotic disorder’ although psychosis can occur within it.
It is however regarded as a “schizophrenia spectrum personality disorder”

In correspondence/notes about my mental health are comments like “Suffers from psychotic symptoms " /“And he has in the past suffered from some delusional thoughts which are now managed by medication”/ " has difficulties with perception”/ “confused and paranoid thinking”

Obviously this suggests something more than plain neurosis is going on and yet it doesn’t cross over into warranting what is known as a ‘psychotic disorder’.

It would however fit into a 'psychosis spectrum encompassing signs of psychosis be they acute/transient or chronic and mild or severe.

Tibergrace
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2018, 4:11 am

What types of symptoms would you personally say you have experienced?

There's a big difference between just having some psychotic symptoms e.g. seeing, smelling, feeling, hearing something that isn't there, and having full blown break-from-reality-and-rational-thought psychosis.

Both of these things can be brought on by all sorts of problems, whether they are mental illnesses (e.g. schizophrenia), nutritional deficiencies, medical problems with organs, sleep deprivation, drug use, etc. There are many different mental illnesses which have psychotic symptoms or which cause psychotic episodes.

I've had one psychotic break, which lasted about a couple weeks. I think the psychosis was brought on by a combination of trauma and sleep deprivation. Starvation/malnourishment could have also played a role. It resolved after seeking treatment at a hospital, by which point I was having hallucinations, mainly audio but also visual. I also had strong delusions, paranoia, bouts of depersonalization and dissociation, and my thought process was extremely messed up. That was about two months ago.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 4:40 am

Delusions and paranoia.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 8:13 am

The crossover is when you meet the criteria for a psychotic disorder - which you don't :)

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard