Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 2:42 am

I am a college dropout but I still have some credits in my name at the local college.

I first took college in 2008 and initially dropped out during the summer of 2009 due to being burned out by the overwhelming remedial math courses I had to take (And couldn't pass until that summer) as well as the disappointing social scene. I tried again near the end of 2010 but I was still disappointed by the social scene so I didn't go again until 2014 but only did a Spring semester. I was pushed to do a digital art night class as well as an online health class but I dropped both out of frustration. At the beginning of 2017, I tried another Spring course and actually did well but when I tried a Summer night class, I was instantly overwhelmed by it and dropped it. I didn't sign up for a Spring course this year and the deadline to sign up is passed now.

I hoped college would be a better experience for me than high school was but I've only faced disappointment and frustration with it. Are my credits eventually going to fade or will they stay? I don't even have half of the amount required for an associate's degree.

mrshappyhands
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Feb 2018, 2:52 am

For all courses completed those credits should still remain - though I am not sure how it works if a degree has not been completed. There are stipulations for certain subject areas that may require repeating if a degree has not been established within a certain time frame. Also, not all credits will be transferable if you decide to go to a different college. Honestly, it really just depends on the course and the college.

Ironically, I just enrolled yesterday into a university to start working towards my Bachelor's degree. I got my AA in 2006 and my credits are still good.

If you really want to know just contact the college you went to via phone or email - whichever is easier for you. Good luck. :D

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 3:01 am

I don't know if I'll ever continue college. I honestly hate it. I was told it was going to be better than high school was for me socially but it was no different.
But at the same time, I am almost 30 and the fact I don't have a college degree feels defeating.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 3:04 am

Marknis wrote:
I am a college dropout but I still have some credits in my name at the local college.

I first took college in 2008 and initially dropped out during the summer of 2009 due to being burned out by the overwhelming remedial math courses I had to take (And couldn't pass until that summer) as well as the disappointing social scene. I tried again near the end of 2010 but I was still disappointed by the social scene so I didn't go again until 2014 but only did a Spring semester. I was pushed to do a digital art night class as well as an online health class but I dropped both out of frustration. At the beginning of 2017, I tried another Spring course and actually did well but when I tried a Summer night class, I was instantly overwhelmed by it and dropped it. I didn't sign up for a Spring course this year and the deadline to sign up is passed now.

I hoped college would be a better experience for me than high school was but I've only faced disappointment and frustration with it. Are my credits eventually going to fade or will they stay? I don't even have half of the amount required for an associate's degree.

No, they don't fade...or "expire" as some like to put it, however depending on the time elapsed, and curriculum and catalog changes, and transfer agreements, they may or may not be honored. However college policies are rarely a case of actual laws and often times, if you can provide a good argument as to why your credits should be honored (or sometimes, should not be honored) they will sometimes make exceptions to their policy.

For example, when I transferred to a university, the university did not transfer the credits for a certain course, meaning, I would have to take the course over again at the university, at a significant burden. However that course was stated in the community college district catalog as equivalent to a course at another community college within the district, and the course at that community college was articulated with the the course at my university, meaning transferable. I merely had to point this out to the my university and they accept the course as fulfilled.

mrshappyhands

01 Feb 2018, 3:18 am

Chronos wrote:
Marknis wrote:

No, they don't fade...or "expire" as some like to put it, however depending on the time elapsed, and curriculum and catalog changes, and transfer agreements, they may or may not be honored. However college policies are rarely a case of actual laws and often times, if you can provide a good argument as to why your credits should be honored (or sometimes, should not be honored) they will sometimes make exceptions to their policy.

For example, when I transferred to a university, the university did not transfer the credits for a certain course, meaning, I would have to take the course over again at the university, at a significant burden. However that course was stated in the community college district catalog as equivalent to a course at another community college within the district, and the course at that community college was articulated with the the course at my university, meaning transferable. I merely had to point this out to the my university and they accept the course as fulfilled.

You are absolutely correct. Not all universities do it, but some will and they consider it 'life cred' that can be applied.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:09 am

How many credits have you earned since 2012? Any credits earned from 2013 on are almost definitely not "faded." Credits earned before then could possibly be "faded," but not definitely.

What you should do is contact the colleges where you got the credits.

I hope you are able to continue college some day.

FORGET ABOUT THE SOCIAL ASPECTS. YOU'RE IN COLLEGE TO LEARN. Once you realize that, the social aspects just might improve. Most people in college do not prioritize the "social aspects." It just comes to them through being in the same class with people, and having to do assignments with others, get the homework from them, whatever.

Yes, there are some people in college to socialize, to party, whatever. But most really are not. Most are there to get their degree and get out of there.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 7:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How many credits have you earned since 2012? Any credits earned from 2013 on are almost definitely not "faded." Credits earned before then could possibly be "faded," but not definitely.

What you should do is contact the colleges where you got the credits.

I hope you are able to continue college some day.

FORGET ABOUT THE SOCIAL ASPECTS. YOU'RE IN COLLEGE TO LEARN. Once you realize that, the social aspects just might improve. Most people in college do not prioritize the "social aspects." It just comes to them through being in the same class with people, and having to do assignments with others, get the homework from them, whatever.

Yes, there are some people in college to socialize, to party, whatever. But most really are not. Most are there to get their degree and get out of there.

6 since 2012.

I watched movies like Animal House, Back to School, and Revenge of The Nerds before I went to college; I also remember an episode of Dexter's Laboratory where he goes to college and everyone was partying like crazy. I suppose they gave me an unrealistic and distorted expectation of college. I also thought that after going through so much disappointment in high school as far as social life went, maybe college would be my break although I will admit at the same time I didn't feel very hopeful because I read stories from other aspies who were disappointed with their experiences. Others around me said the same thing. I even had an internet friend who went to college before I did and she told me how much she liked it but when I went, I was immediately disappointed.

Last edited by Marknis on 01 Feb 2018, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:55 pm

It took me 15 years of one to two classes per semester with some skipped semesters to get my degree. For me the degree was not as important as the education.

Yokokurama

13 Feb 2018, 9:32 am

They won't. You'll probably have to apply again though and double check with admissions. Your ACT/SAT scores and any college courses you took during high school might though.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 1:48 pm

I know my College credits are good for 7 years and my University (equivalent to your College) never expire. I have been encouraging my wife to finish her Bachelor's Degree and she hasn't been to school since you were a child. I should also add that where I live, the average age of a student is 28.