Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 3:28 am

Have any of you been bullied by parents? When ever I google articles about Parental bullying the vast majority of Articles relate to parents being bullied by their children. My mother bullying me in my teens ruined my life.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 3:34 am

It takes many many different forms. The biggest parental bullies are probably the narcissists, whose sociopathy is expressed in ways that harm their children. I have never met a child of NPD parents who wasn't damaged by them, and recovery generally takes years. It starts when the child as adult intellectually realises what happened, and names it accurately. Most never do. They internalise the wounds and the shame they were trained to absorb.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 3:36 am

Yeah the narcissists are also the types to convince themselves and often others that they are good parents.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 5:39 am

Yes, they do. Some are very skilled actors who present themselves to the wider community as paragons of virtue, it's part of their act, so that if the child tries to disclose, it won't be believed. Sad but true, most of them get away with the pretence and the child is shamed for telling the truth about them.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 8:26 am

I don't really need to go into any more detail from what I've already stated through the multitude of venting I did on the "Rants" post. My mother is one of the reasons why I am suicidal. She's another person who makes me feel horrible about the way I am. She had at one point, when I was younger, made me throw out all of my Sonic the Hedgehog merchandise because of my affection for Shadow and getting in trouble in school because of my loud outbursts and threats toward the bullies who have abused me for my love of him and my sexual interests.

She has no understanding or consideration for what I go through. Such as my social anxiety. My mother treats almost every aspect of me as a little kid who needs to grow up and stop being weird and stupid.

"Just stop being weird." "Why can't you be like everyone else?" "What is wrong with you?!" "Why are you standing there like a statue." - Mother

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Feb 2018, 10:24 pm

I saw something a few days ago that said "some parents are the first bully in their child's life". I think it's definitely possible for you to be bullied by your parent(s), even if you like them. Especially if you're a passive aspie/autsie. I'm sorry you went through this though because most people I know who have gone through this have trouble with their relationships if it's never addressed.

I hope you somehow stick up to her and let her know how she has emotionally abused you and made your life even harder :heart: :salut: