Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MarissaE
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2018, 9:13 am

Hello :) I am not officially diagnosed, but I have been told by my father and a therapist that I may be on the spectrum. One thing I want to work on is improving my short term memory. I have trouble remembering things on the spot. Does anyone have any suggestions? :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:49 am

Probably the best thing is to have less things on your mind....

My short-term memory gets really bad when I have lots of things on my mind.

ACinTX
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Feb 2018, 1:57 pm

I understand you are not yet diagnosed. Once you do, the report will usually include some accommodations to help.

I have issues with short term (working) memory due to my rare liver disease and being on the Spectrum is a co-morbidity to the overlying liver disease. For myself, my frontal lobe has difficulty with executive functioning. So, I adapt with some accommodations:

- I have learned to be organized. Use some type of system to keep track of appointments, due dates, or such. For medication daily reminders, I use an app on my phone that alerts me.

- For any large (overwhelming) project? Break it down into manageable chunks or in small steps. Allow yourself time for the task and do not wait until the last moment. Stress is not the short term memory's friend.

- Lists or checklists are very helpful.

- Repetition helps. I used to easily forget a phone number or a person's name. I find that if I repeat it or create a list or do some type of mnemonic device I can then get the info past short term and into long term memory. Again, if you panic or stress out... try to calm down and then later recall the info.

- Give yourself time. As you try to train or practice the info or data you need to recall... over a period of time... you will find the recall easier.

- I like to train my brain with Soduku or puzzles. Or if I meet a person, I recall a factoid about him to recall his name... (said internally to myself) "Oh, that is the Russian guy. Mr. Popescu."

Here is an article to help:
https://study.com/academy/lesson/accomm ... icits.html

MarissaE
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2018, 4:23 pm

Thank you all for your response. I will take your advice! :)

MarissaE
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2018, 4:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Probably the best thing is to have less things on your mind....

My short-term memory gets really bad when I have lots of things on my mind.

Thank you!

MarissaE
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2018, 4:25 pm

ACinTX wrote:
I understand you are not yet diagnosed. Once you do, the report will usually include some accommodations to help.

I have issues with short term (working) memory due to my rare liver disease and being on the Spectrum is a co-morbidity to the overlying liver disease. For myself, my frontal lobe has difficulty with executive functioning. So, I adapt with some accommodations:

- I have learned to be organized. Use some type of system to keep track of appointments, due dates, or such. For medication daily reminders, I use an app on my phone that alerts me.

- For any large (overwhelming) project? Break it down into manageable chunks or in small steps. Allow yourself time for the task and do not wait until the last moment. Stress is not the short term memory's friend.

- Lists or checklists are very helpful.

- Repetition helps. I used to easily forget a phone number or a person's name. I find that if I repeat it or create a list or do some type of mnemonic device I can then get the info past short term and into long term memory. Again, if you panic or stress out... try to calm down and then later recall the info.

- Give yourself time. As you try to train or practice the info or data you need to recall... over a period of time... you will find the recall easier.

- I like to train my brain with Soduku or puzzles. Or if I meet a person, I recall a factoid about him to recall his name... (said internally to myself) "Oh, that is the Russian guy. Mr. Popescu."

Here is an article to help:
https://study.com/academy/lesson/accomm ... icits.html

Thank you!