Page 1 of 10 [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 12:26 pm

What would we probably have to get through if we wanted to try and achieve gender equality?

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on February 1, 2018)

Last edited by LegoMaster2149 on 01 Feb 2018, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 2:22 pm

The idea that men and women are different, want different and choose different and therefore imbalances in aggregate and average distributions are to be expected in a free society and not presented as evidence of injustices being perpetrated?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 3:21 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
The idea that men and women are different, want different and choose different and therefore imbalances in aggregate and average distributions are to be expected in a free society and not presented as evidence of injustices being perpetrated?

:cheers:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:32 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
What would we probably have to get through if we wanted to try and achieve gender equality?

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on February 1, 2018)

Define gender equality.

Humans are a sexually dimorphic species with a patriarchal bias so I don't believe equality in everything is possible.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 10:51 pm

Chronos wrote:

Humans are a sexually dimorphic species with a patriarchal bias so I don't believe equality in everything is possible.

I would go further...
Based on recent global events, I am appalled at the endemic attitudes approaching misogyny in these modern times in our western societies......

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 11:40 pm

Pepe wrote:
Chronos wrote:

I would go further...
Based on recent global events, I am appalled at the endemic attitudes approaching misogyny in these modern times in our western societies......

Yes. It's become worse since my younger days.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 12:27 am

I’ve known many quite superior women.

Most of the judges and lawyers where I work are women who wouldn’t take too kindly any sort of “patriarchal bias.”

I don’t believe in a genderless society—but women should never be treated as inferiors by men. And vice versa.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 12:47 am

Wolfram87 wrote:

So you're saying we need to genetically engineer all future human beings to be fully functioning hermaphrodites?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 1:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t believe in a genderless society—but women should never be treated as inferiors by men. And vice versa.

And yet there are seemingly strengths and weaknesses in both genders...

Would it be politically incorrect to suggest women tend to have a greater emotional intelligence than men?
I suspect a women is much better at bearing children than a man...

What precisely is gender equality?
An individual's inherent worth to a society?
An equal respect in the work environment?
Are we considering a symbiotic interactive harmonious appreciation and respect of both sexes working together?

I have identified two distinct contexts in this thread:
-A work/profession based context...
-And the broader all inclusive context which seems to transcend into a philosophical consideration...
Are there others?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 1:04 am

adifferentname wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

So you're saying we need to genetically engineer all future human beings to be fully functioning hermaphrodites?

The Solarians tried that in Foundation and Earth. It didn't work out very well.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 1:07 am

The only way to achieve gender equality would be to turn back the clock a few years to the time when men and women were treated the same way. Thanks to certain varieties of feminism we now have this idea that men and women should be treated differently, which leads to inequality.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 1:12 am

adifferentname wrote:

Short answer: Yes...
No more battle of the sexes...
Complete autonomy!
Hoowah!

Simon & Garfunkel's "I am a rock" will then be our anthem...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlSVNxLB-A

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 1:24 am

adifferentname wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Personally I would prefer such a species.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 1:45 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’ve known many quite superior women.

Most of the judges and lawyers where I work are women who wouldn’t take too kindly any sort of “patriarchal bias.”

They still have to face them...as do men. It's not really the fault of men, it's just an aspect of our species. When talking about patriarchy I think people have a tendency to focus on male behavior, and neglect to consider female behavior. Compared to bonobos, who are matriarchal, human females tend to be more submissive to males and, like female gorillas, less cooperative among each other. Female bonobos form alliances like male humans and chimpanzees and will gang up on male bonobos to assert their dominant status and this is a trait of their species. In one incident, a male bonobo decided to randomly back hand an older female bonobo (because primates are kind of jerks). A female chimpanzee would have assumed a submissive position and started screeching but the female bonobo gave the male bonobo the most insulted look and then he was seized upon and attacked by other female bonobos who were nearby.

Human females do occasionally band together to assert themselves or maybe even assert dominance over a male but this more of an exception than a rule. The question is, what was the society of the common ancestor of humans, chimps and bonobos like? I am going to guess they were patriarchal, since both humans and chimps are. It raises the question then, how did bonobos become so matriarchal?

I've often wondered, what would happen if you put of group of male chimpanzees with a group of female bonobos. Probably a lot of blood shed but ultimately I think the male chimpanzees would win.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 10:11 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
women should never be treated as inferiors by men. And vice versa.

^ This.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 2:00 pm

Pepe wrote:
Would it be politically incorrect to suggest women tend to have a greater emotional intelligence than men?

It's perfectly fine to say that women are superior in something, ask any SJW. It's totally unacceptable to say that men are superior in something, though.