Page 7 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:12 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Raptor, how can you not see the direct correlation between number of guns & number of incidents of gun violence? The more guns there are, the more that mentally unstable people, criminals, thieves, and children/others will intentionally, or accidentally, end up with a gun in their hands and shoot people. Period. The numbers don't lie.

Gun ownership, especially of them scary assault rifles, has been driven by proposed legislation to ban them. The Colt AR-15 in its standard rifle form was first available to the public in 1963 and the CAR-15 with the short barrel and collapsible buttstock in 1966. Until the anti-gun left started screeching about them and how they just had to be banned in order to save the world they were not a very popular item among shooters. Now the AR-15 in all of its configurations is the most popular rifle/carbine in the Unites States. You can thank anti-gun legislators for this.

Quote:
I'm not saying there needs to be a gun ban. But there needs to be some kind of control. Obviously this situation just keeps getting further and further out of control in the USA.
You don't think we have gun control. Gee, does that mean there are vending machines for guns?
:roll: :roll:

Quote:
Also, as for gun ownership rights.. why does a citizen have a right to own military weapons? These are not target shooting guns or for hunting. Their only purpose is to kill people. That's a weird one to me - the whole gun fanatic desire to own the deadliest guns possible.

What military weapons?
Tell me who's selling them because I want an M240 or I'd happily settle for a WW2 vintage MG-42 or MG-34.
No, an AR-15 isn't a military weapon and the constitution wasn't written to accommodate hunters and target shooters.
I hardly expect you to understand but it's the shooter, not the firearm, that is the actual weapon with the firearm being the tool used. One of my rifles is a 1906 dated Cark Gustav M96 (a.k.a Swedish Mauser) in 6.5mm. Even though it's a five shot bolt action and not a semi-auto it's still as deadly and accurate as it was when new. Given a good concealed vantage point and using a backpack or a rolled up jacket as a rest I can knock off people out to 500 yards or more.

I'll tell you now that we've had dozens of gunz-r-bad threads in the eleven years that I've been on WP and at no time has any ant-gunner come up with a valid argument supporting thier cause. And trust me they've tried every conceivable argument only to get shot to pieces (no pun intended). I can safely say that you won't be breaking that long dry record that in this thread or any future one.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:38 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Thieves usually break into empty homes to rob in the first place.. and are typically unarmed idiots seeking anything they can turn into quick cash for drugs or w/e. Even IF someone broke into your home while you were present, why would your first move be to kill them? That's not self defence, that's murder.

Anyone busting into my house when I'm home may or may not get shot. He will have a gun on him, he will have a tactical light as bright as the sun in his eyes, he will have me screaming at him to get those hands up and get on his f*cking face right now, and probably have my pit bull's teeth sunk deep into his flesh to add to his troubles. If he complies with my orders with all that going on he might just live. If not then it's hasta la vista motherf*cker.
If they bust in aggressively I'll just be shooting without warming.
If they want to steal s**t then go to a store and do it, not mine or anyone elses castle.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:41 am

Hmm, I was trained to identify and shoot, continue to clear castle... I don't want/need to communicate with them as there could be others.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:43 am

goldfish21 wrote:
There are many other non lethal forms of self defence options besides opening fire at the first inclination that someone else may harm you.

like what?

when you're in a relatively small, enclosed space such as the hallways of your home and are facing down a big thug (armed or not) much larger and stronger then you, what else could you use? sometimes you don't even need to pull the trigger.

i don't live in fear, and while a few of my neighbors have, i myself have never been a victim of home invasion and am grateful that castle doctrine exists in my state.

SH90 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Besides the type of gun, this argument only holds up for citizens against government - which extremely rarely happens.

What if we need to do so again someday and then we are completely unarmed?

actually this reminds me of something i've been wondering about for a while. in the event that uncle sam decides to go full tyranny mode and citizens must rise up, how well are we going to hold up with what we are currently allotted by the law?

are guns alone.....enough? the military seems to have access to much more sophisticated and powerful equipment.

just wonderin'.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:56 am

SH90 wrote:
Hmm, I was trained to identify and shoot, continue to clear castle... I don't want/need to communicate with them as there could be others.

It will depend on the situation. If I know or even feel that I'm dealing with multiple threats then there will only be shooting. I don't want to shoot anyone but if I can't have the deck stacked very heavily in my favor I'll do what needs doing without regrets.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 6:36 am

Mudboy wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Mudboy wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Mudboy wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
When's the last time a military contingent broke into your home?

1986, 2003, both attempts were repulsed prior to them gaining entry to my house. Both times were a group of over 20 armed men. (1986 was in a foreign country and required extensive expenditure of ammunition. 2003 only required one shotgun round into the front lawn)
Yes, I will indeed murder an intruder in my house, before they have a chance to murder me.

So then it’s a murderous mentality problem vs a gun problem?

Thieves break in to steal material objects and wealth etc, not to murder people. It’s exceedingly rare.

You trust your life to the intentions of criminals. I would rather be alive and have my actions judged by 12 than carried by 6...

No, I just don't live my life in a constant state of fear.

A 15 year old boy was recently shot and killed by a stray bullet while riding in his parents car downtown Vancouver. It was a drive by gang hit, and the guy's missed shot killed an innocent person. That still doesn't mean everyone in town is going to go arm themselves to the teeth as if it's going to make one lick of difference that sometimes criminals do stupid criminal s**t and people get hurt or die.

Again, it sounds like you're just itching for the chance to murder someone with a gun w/ the played out "but what if someone breaks into my home?" line. Seriously. Break-ins happen. People don't die over them... except for in US States with murders carefully crafted by decades of pro-gun propaganda designed to sell ever more guns & ammo.

The pro gun mindset in the US is centuries old not decades, and has nothing to do with marketing.

I have never lived in fear.

You seem to be small minded and naive. Your attempt to project false conclusions about my life experiences is the tactic of a bully. Are you being a bully to me because you cannot understand that my background and life experiences are different than yours? Does your attempt to vilify me make you feel better about yourself? Is insulting others a hobby of yours?

Your warped view of the world as safe place comes from never leaving your sheltered social class. I imagine you have never walked, at night, down a street in "downtown Vancouver" (not recommended). Your "moral superiority" will quickly turn you into a statistic if you ever end up having to live there.

PLONK

:lol:

Are you f*****g kidding me? Of course I've walked through many downtown Vancouver streets at night in various neighbours from the best to the worst. At present I'm 6'2" about 195-200lbs approx ~13-15%bf & I've done nearly 200k pushups over the last 4 or 5 years.. I'm not too worried about walking at night pretty much anywhere in Vancouver at night w/ the exception of maybe some superheated gang activity hot spot experiencing regular drive by shootings in a gang war - then f**k that street. But the city is extremely safe to walk around in at night in my experience.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 6:47 am

Raptor wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Raptor, how can you not see the direct correlation between number of guns & number of incidents of gun violence? The more guns there are, the more that mentally unstable people, criminals, thieves, and children/others will intentionally, or accidentally, end up with a gun in their hands and shoot people. Period. The numbers don't lie.

Gun ownership, especially of them scary assault rifles, has been driven by proposed legislation to ban them. The Colt AR-15 in its standard rifle form was first available to the public in 1963 and the CAR-15 with the short barrel and collapsible buttstock in 1966. Until the anti-gun left started screeching about them and how they just had to be banned in order to save the world they were not a very popular item among shooters. Now the AR-15 in all of its configurations is the most popular rifle/carbine in the Unites States. You can thank anti-gun legislators for this.

Quote:
I'm not saying there needs to be a gun ban. But there needs to be some kind of control. Obviously this situation just keeps getting further and further out of control in the USA.
You don't think we have gun control. Gee, does that mean there are vending machines for guns?
:roll: :roll:

Quote:
Also, as for gun ownership rights.. why does a citizen have a right to own military weapons? These are not target shooting guns or for hunting. Their only purpose is to kill people. That's a weird one to me - the whole gun fanatic desire to own the deadliest guns possible.

What military weapons?
Tell me who's selling them because I want an M240 or I'd happily settle for a WW2 vintage MG-42 or MG-34.
No, an AR-15 isn't a military weapon and the constitution wasn't written to accommodate hunters and target shooters.
I hardly expect you to understand but it's the shooter, not the firearm, that is the actual weapon with the firearm being the tool used. One of my rifles is a 1906 dated Cark Gustav M96 (a.k.a Swedish Mauser) in 6.5mm. Even though it's a five shot bolt action and not a semi-auto it's still as deadly and accurate as it was when new. Given a good concealed vantage point and using a backpack or a rolled up jacket as a rest I can knock off people out to 500 yards or more.

I'll tell you now that we've had dozens of gunz-r-bad threads in the eleven years that I've been on WP and at no time has any ant-gunner come up with a valid argument supporting thier cause. And trust me they've tried every conceivable argument only to get shot to pieces (no pun intended). I can safely say that you won't be breaking that long dry record that in this thread or any future one.

More guns, more people getting murdered by them. Pretty simple argument. America has the most guns AND the highest rate of mass shootings, school shootings.. pretty clear correlations.

At the other extreme, there's country's like Australia with gun bans. There's was after a school shooting. They've never had one since.

Canada has guns, but not nearly as many as America, and far fewer shootings for the number of guns and people. We're definitely not perfect - lol, f**k, there has literally been dozens of shootings in my area over the last handful of years of off and on gang wars over drug turf. There's probably been at least a dozen shootings within 20 blocks of where I live in the last year. But it's mostly drug dealers shooting each other & other victims are rare - but they do happen. A handful of innocent bystanders have been killed over the last decade. But still, even with increased gun violence between waring gangs in recent years, our gun violence is minimal compared to the USA.

I don't think the USA needs an all out ban on guns but there has to be something different that can be done to keep guns out of the hands of people who end up shooting up schools or churches etc. It's a bizarre uniquely American phenomenon & the sheer number of guns available in the USA must have something to do with the increased rates of shootings. I don't pretend to know what the best balance of regulations might be, but there's got to be something that results in fewer lives lost to gun violence in America.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 7:04 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
There are many other non lethal forms of self defence options besides opening fire at the first inclination that someone else may harm you.

like what?

when you're in a relatively small, enclosed space such as the hallways of your home and are facing down a big thug (armed or not) much larger and stronger then you, what else could you use? sometimes you don't even need to pull the trigger.

i don't live in fear, and while a few of my neighbors have, i myself have never been a victim of home invasion and am grateful that castle doctrine exists in my state.

SH90 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Besides the type of gun, this argument only holds up for citizens against government - which extremely rarely happens.

What if we need to do so again someday and then we are completely unarmed?

actually this reminds me of something i've been wondering about for a while. in the event that uncle sam decides to go full tyranny mode and citizens must rise up, how well are we going to hold up with what we are currently allotted by the law?

are guns alone.....enough? the military seems to have access to much more sophisticated and powerful equipment.

just wonderin'.

Like what? Baseball bat/non lethal weapon like a stun gun, martial arts self defence training etc. People get in physical altercations all the time w/o shooting each other. I don't own a gun - few people do in the city. But there are weapons of opportunity I could grab in my home should someone break in while I'm here. A strike from a steel softball bat would really f**k someone up.

If your military decided to open fire on civilians.. many civilians would be slaughtered. Totally outgunned. You're gonna need body armer and WAY BIGGER guns! And lots of them. Write your local politician and express your constitutional right to have access to military grade weapons..