Page 37 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 163  Next

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 3:44 pm

I quite like watching the crows, some of them are huge, and they seem to have their own distinct personalities.

Had a headache most of the day so still haven't mowed my grass, hopefully tomorrow. If I leave it much longer I'll get a nasty letter from the letting agency :(

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 4:21 pm

Yes, I agree, there's something a bit special about crows. I love it when it's a really gusty day, the crows seem to revel in it; I always think they're the bird that most looks like they go flying just because they enjoy it so much. There's a really steep railway embankment near here where they gather to play in the updraught when the wind is just right - I'm convinced that there's a crow call that just means "watch this everyone - Wheeeee!"

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 4:28 pm

Trogluddite wrote:

The first martins and swifts have been about; there were crested grebes on the reservoir; plenty of curlews calling, though I never saw them; and I was lucky enough to watch pairs of Red Kites in a couple of different places. The Kites have been slowly spreading from release programs further north and east, and they seem to have reached our little dale this year. The local crows don't seem to appreciate it much, but their dogfighting made the Kites all the more spectacular to watch.

The S.A.S did a fantastic job of protecting the last two breeding pairs in the U.K. , some could argue too good a job.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 4:49 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
some could argue too good a job.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens now that they've reached this area. I'm right on the edge of a big conurbation, and I have heard quite a few friends mention sightings over the heart of the built up areas. In earlier times, kites were pretty common in the cities, due to the feral pigeons etc. being such easy pickings. It's too early to tell if they will displace populations of other predators/scavengers; the furry critter population seems to be very high for the last few years here, so all birds of prey seem to be doing very well, along with the foxes. I suspect there would be a lot of competition if the bunnies had a few bad years.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 4:46 pm

The kites usually get chased away from here by the crows and jackdaws.

I love the sound of blackbirds calling to each other.

We have indeed had a belter of a sunny weekend.

This week has been so relaxing and pleasant.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 8:47 pm

You folks in the UK are warmer than us now.

It looks like you made it into the 80s Fahrenheit, which is the upper 20's Celsius.

We only made it to about 70 Fahrenheit, which is about 21 Celsius.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 3:08 am

We are cooling down a bit from today for a while then it will creep back up again the following week.

I have spent so much time sitting in the garden or gardening that I haven't had much time for WP.

Why does this leave me feeling a bit guilty?

Anyway, it is time to walk around the field and listen to all the different birds, then a Toby roast later with my lovely neighbour. Who could ask for more?

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2018, 2:57 pm

I can believe someone just jumped on stage and ruined our lady singing her song at the Eurovision Song Contest.

What a stupid thing to do. Bless her she coped well.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2018, 4:55 pm

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 3:31 am

SaveFerris wrote:

I feel quite sad really because it speaks volumes that we were so close to the bottom of the pile.

Are we that unpopular?

If it is a government thing then I agree with the majority - our current party stinks.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 5:01 am

I have no TV so I don't have a TV licence so I am no longer allowed to watch BBCIplayer (which I only did occasionally for things like this) so I have not seen it. I will find clip on youtube.

We've been in the naughty corner of Europe since the Brexit vote Temeraire so I don't think this is really about the government.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 5:51 am

Rat-a-tat / knock knock ginger

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 1:45 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
I have no TV so I don't have a TV licence so I am no longer allowed to watch BBCIplayer (which I only did occasionally for things like this) so I have not seen it. I will find clip on youtube.

We've been in the naughty corner of Europe since the Brexit vote Temeraire so I don't think this is really about the government.

But we were unpopular before brexit. Just a little bit more now.

We have never done well for many years - regardless of the song.

I just felt so sorry for the poor woman, she reminds me of Annie Lennox. Quality.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 1:46 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

Love it. :D

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 4:18 pm

Temeraire wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Love it. :D

gingers seem adept at knocking

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... d-14648598

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2018, 10:59 am

"Knock knock ginger" reminds me of one of my friend's cats. He has one of those cat-flaps with an electronic "key" on his collar that's supposed to stop strays from using the cat-flap. However, he quite often manages to let a couple of other cats in during the short while it takes for the flap to lock itself again. We're not sure if the other cats have wised up and learned to bully their way in, or whether it's his clever way of inviting his mates round for tea.