Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:52 pm

Yep. Sometimes they’re okay, other times they feel extremely invasive. I had to have an operation down there and needed to be knocked out for it, when people don’t usually. Last one I had I actually nearly fainted. But they put vinegar up there on something. Went all clammy and light headed and needed to lie down.

Anna231
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2018, 11:17 am

I've cancelled two smear test appointments in the last month because the thought of having it done brings on panic; I am incredibly shy and also it is very painful. I have been wondering about asking my doctor for some diazepam to take beforehand to see if it makes me relax more.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 11:12 pm

TheSilentOne wrote:
I find both those and transvaginal ultrasounds very painful.

My mum had to have a transvaginal ultrasound and she said it was one of the most uncomfortable experiences ever. They even made her bleed and she's post-menopausal. Geez, they must have been rough. Mum almost cried just telling me about it.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 12:44 pm

renaeden wrote:
TheSilentOne wrote:
I find both those and transvaginal ultrasounds very painful.

My mum had to have a transvaginal ultrasound and she said it was one of the most uncomfortable experiences ever. They even made her bleed and she's post-menopausal. Geez, they must have been rough. Mum almost cried just telling me about it.

Awww, that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear that :(
I bled a little bit the first one I had, but haven't the last few times. Due to my cysts, I get them every six weeks or so. I'm not a fan at all of them, but they are starting to become a fact of my life due to the frequency at which I have to have them.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2018, 10:54 pm

I never seem to stay still during one though they've become a lot easier since IUD insertion and another procedure I had. Once you've been through that everything else is easy.
I still don't like them regardless but at least they're not painful like they were. They're mostly just awkwardly uncomfortable.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 3:14 am

Anna231 wrote:
I've cancelled two smear test appointments in the last month because the thought of having it done brings on panic; I am incredibly shy and also it is very painful. I have been wondering about asking my doctor for some diazepam to take beforehand to see if it makes me relax more.

I've never had diazepan, is it general? Something more local might be better. Like numbing the area. I wonder what they use before doing cosmetic surgeries down there, that ought to work.

Hello by the way.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 12:45 pm

Hello, Fluffy.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 7:39 pm

That's the one medical procedure that really arouses fear in me.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 7:21 am

I had 2 very painful smears and said I would not have another unless they could find another way. Usually it is done very quickly by nurses.

I spoke to a female doctor and we agreed that I would take valium an hour before the next appointment and she would do it for me in a double appointment to give me plenty of time.
The valium certainly helped to relax me.

When she was doing the procedure she warmed up the tool and then said I think this is the wrong size for you. We needed a longer one. It would seem that the previously they had used the wrong one which caused pain.

So the moral is if you are in pain tell them to stop and use the correct tool or rebook to talk it through.
Take medication to relax you if you need it.
Go to a sympathetic female doctor and talk it through to see how you can make it less traumatic.

There is no need to have a painful smear - it can be resolved.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 8:55 am

Temeraire wrote:
I had 2 very painful smears and said I would not have another unless they could find another way. Usually it is done very quickly by nurses.

I spoke to a female doctor and we agreed that I would take valium an hour before the next appointment and she would do it for me in a double appointment to give me plenty of time.

When she was doing the procedure she warmed up the tool and then said I think this is the wrong size for you. We needed a longer one. It would seem that the previously they had used the wrong one which caused pain.

So the moral is if you are in pain tell them to stop and use the correct tool or rebook to talk it through.
Go to a sympathetic female doctor and talk it through to see how you can make it less traumatic.

You got a double apointment 8O ?

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 9:05 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
Temeraire wrote:

You got a double apointment 8O ?

I had to wait a long time for the double appointment.
We have an online system where I can book my own appointments. (if there are any with the doc you want).

Sometime the wait is so long I no longer need it because I got better.

Yokokurama
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Mar 2018, 12:28 pm

I have a female body and have never consented to a pap, never will. I've been with the same person, and only this person, for over a year. He was tested for every STI/STD under the sun and passed with flying colors. Therefore, I do not see why a pap smear is necessary.

Especially if you're only with one partner or are asexual, and even moreso if you've had the HPV vaccine. In my opinion, it's just another way for doctors to make money and incite fear through unnecessary testing.

I've always wanted children but I hear they force you into a pap smear and a breast exam at the first prenatal visit, no thanks.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2018, 9:10 pm

For me, I think that after going through an IUD insertion, a regular Pap smear is nothing. I had that done about a year ago, and the only thing I was prepared for was a tiny pinch. In the end, it was worth it, as it means no more trying to hassle with the pharmacy every month for pills, or trying to deal with a year's prescription that really isn't a full year and having to get insurance to extend it before you can get in for your exam. Now, with the IUD I got, I just have the annual check by the gynecologist to make sure it's where it should be, and monthly string checks for at least 10 years.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2018, 1:58 pm

I've never had a problem with getting them done. The doctor or nurse practitioner always used lube and took everything slow and have never rushed me. I don't enjoy getting them done, but I also don't want to die from cervical cancer which is something that is extremely treatable if caught early from regular pap smears.

My doctor told me they aren't really needed unless you are sexually active and even then only every 3 years.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2018, 3:39 pm

My past gynecologist (a guy) wouldn't do that - he asked me if I am a virgin and if I am able to use tampons, I said "no" and "yes" so he choose the smallest tool possible and tried doing the test. I yelled "It hurts! It hurts!" (I usually can stand pain but it was really unbearable) and he took it out. He tried it a few months later but it still didn't work so he said he won't try again till I have sex.

The current one (a woman) succeeded. I wonder if that's because I was only half-virgin then (I have been fingered by a guy before) and she was aware of that or because she asked me random questions and complimented me saying Aspies are really smart people - distracting me big deal. It was inside almost before I realized (it still hurt though) but when she asked "So, is it really that painful?" I said "As much as a thousand of needles" (accurate description, it hurt a lot, same pain as the first time) and couldn't focus on anything but the pain anymore. It was even worse when she took it out and put some spatula in instead, good knows for what - it wasn't as painful but also really unpleasant. It scared me even more when she took it out and I saw some blood on it. Then she told me to put my clothes on and come for results in 2 weeks (the results said there is some bacteria caused inflammation - the reason I went to the doctor - and I got some antibiotic that helped).
I felt funny (some pain) down there for another 20 mins after getting out from the doctors office and I was angry she was so forceful and "raped" me but then it stopped and I went my day like usual. So it wasn't THAT bad. Nothing I can't survive and not like the aftereffects stay for long. I'm not scared anymore, at least not more than I am scared of dentists. Gynecologist and dentists have a lot in common - both tell you to sit on a weird chair. The only difference is they look into different holes. And you can keep your clothes on with one of them. :lol:

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2018, 4:31 pm

Yokokurama wrote:
I have a female body and have never consented to a pap, never will. I've been with the same person, and only this person, for over a year. He was tested for every STI/STD under the sun and passed with flying colors. Therefore, I do not see why a pap smear is necessary.

Especially if you're only with one partner or are asexual, and even moreso if you've had the HPV vaccine. In my opinion, it's just another way for doctors to make money and incite fear through unnecessary testing.

I've always wanted children but I hear they force you into a pap smear and a breast exam at the first prenatal visit, no thanks.

People don't know they have hpv so even if you only have 1 partner it doesn't matter. As long you're sexually active they should be done. My mother found out she had cervical cancer when she was pregnant with my brother.