Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EmFromOuterSpace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2018, 6:52 am

I love Superman in relation to Batman and in relation to his son in the comics (Jon). Super Sons is probably one of my favorite current comics right now, and I try to pick up the Superman issues that include Jon (and definitely the ones that include Batman and/or Robin). I think I feel this way because Superman is more interesting to think about than to see, if that makes sense? Like, he could be a god, he could be a cult leader, he could make the world bow before him, and yet he tries to save people. And I love the dynamic with him and his son, because can you imagine the pressure of Superman being your dad?

Part of why I'm so interested in his relationship with Batman is because the Batfamily is a bit of a special interest of mine, but I love how the two are foils of each other. It's very reminiscent of Batman's relationship with Dick Grayson when he was Robin, and Superman can even provide Batman with the things he needs from Robins: hope, a reminder of the kind of good people he does this for, and a bit of a conscience. Supes is the good cop to Bat's bad cop. The cheery to his grumpy. I love it.

Someone has pointed out that Superman would be a terrible video game character, though, because he's way too powerful. I guess maybe if the whole game was about a situation where he's vulnerable could work, but unlike Batman, he's almost impossible to kill and there'd be no fail states! Unless you were doing a TellTale type of game, like the Batman one they're doing. Maybe that could work.

I love Superman as a side character and in relation to others, but on his own I guess he can be a little bland.