Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 8:53 pm

I love Superman even though I've never really collected or read any comics. My knowledge of Superman comes from all the movies. The Christopher Reeve ones, Superman Returns and the DCEU ones, as well as some of the straight to dvd movies e.g. Superman vs The Elite, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse and the 90's animated series. There's also his appearance in non solo Superman stuff like the Justice League cartoon series and the Supergirl tv series. I did watch a bit of Smallville but not enough to be a fan or check it out. Some of that stuff I mentioned I like and some I don't. But most of that is enough for me to like Superman, enough to be on my Top 10 Superheroes list, maybe even Top 5.

Now with all that said I'm slowly starting to learn that Superman despite being one of the most popular Superheroes of all time if not the most popular may not be as liked as I thought, at least not compared to other Superheroes, particularly ones who have gotten movies. I get the feeling tat it maybe his personality. I'm not good at pointing out a personality or anything but compared to other Superheroes his is hard to get. Maybe that's why people don't like him that much but it's never really bothered me and now well I don't think it does but shouldn't I be bothered, am I dumbfounded or something.

The reason I bring this up is that I 'm hearing people on the internet saying stuff like this. Doug Walker (The Nostalgia Critic) mentioned in his Disneycember review of Kim Possible: A Sitch in Time that Kim is a bit of a blank slate just like Superman and in a reaction to a video he made of the Top 11 Dumbest Superman Movie Moments they bad mouth Superman. I dunno maybe it's just me. I never considered Superman a blank slate but on the other hand I never considered it. Sometimes I can't tell if a person has a good or bad personality on film or tv, I'm not a film critic. But the truth is I will admit other Superheroes like Deadpool, Black Widow, The Flash heck even a lot of the people around Superman, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, they probably have more personality than Supes but I've always considered him maybe not better but high on my list than those other heroes I mentioned. If anything his world, background, villains, origins, supporting characters are more memorable than theirs. Maybe that's why I like him more than those other guys but shouldn't I really rank those others more? I mean it is my choice but wouldn't people think it doesn't make sense why Superman would outrank those other heroes based on what I say?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 1:03 am

I disagree much more with him belittling Kim Possible than anything about superman. Outside of Mystery Men I couldn't care less about superheroes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 1:07 am

he never did me any wrong.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 4:29 am

Some people claim Superman is so powerful it's hard to get him into an interesting conflict or along with that the idea of Batman even challenging Superman as absurd. I suppose the Clark Kent side to him seems like a bland character or the whole Eye Glasses thing confounding people so they can't realize he's Superman is a bit much.

The nitpicks are fair, but I think Superman's incredible power puts him in a place of having a unique ethical burden of how to handle that power. It's like the quote from Spiderman "With great power comes great responsibility." but to a greater extreme. He could single handedly conquer Earth or be a vicious ruler like Darkseid, but he makes himself follow a better path.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 4:43 am

we need superman. but that's not what we'll get.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 4:53 am

...I am oriented towards the comics. Yeah, a feeling exists that he's too bland and nice. There's tendency in the comics towards his powers either barreling up and up, becoming bigger and bigger till he can " juggle planets on one finger ", and then then the writers go in the other direction and his powers get stripped down for a while - then make their way up again! :) :lol:

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Probably_Drunk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2018, 5:28 am

I don't think people hate superman, I just think until recently DC had the monopoly on movies, when the first superman and batman films came out there just wasn't much around in the superhero/comic book genre, now Marvel is releasing movies with more complex and likable characters in movies with superior screenwriting and casting to DC, superman and batman just don't stand up to the competition from Marvel as they are very weak character wise and the films they star in are poorly made compared to Marvel releases.

In my opinion DC make good comics and poor movies with weak characters, Marvel make great comics and great movies with strong characters, I don't hate Superman and Batman, I just think DC needs to do allot of hiring and firing to fix things, as their current thing is aiming for dark and edgy and scoring dull and boring, Marvel is going from strength to strength while DC is stagnating.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 6:53 am

This makes me think of the changes that came to THOR in the 3rd movie. Similarly, THOR is a very powerful character with a kind of formal personality. Something wasn't clicking well with audiences until the buzz for THOR 3 including the Hulk.

I'm not sure if something similar could work for Superman sparring with say... Shazam?

Probably_Drunk

03 Feb 2018, 7:03 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
This makes me think of the changes that came to THOR in the 3rd movie. Similarly, THOR is a very powerful character with a kind of formal personality. Something wasn't clicking well with audiences until the buzz for THOR 3 including the Hulk.

I'm not sure if something similar could work for Superman sparring with say... Shazam?

Loki was the strong character in the first 2 Thor films, Marvel listened to the fans, ditched Jane and worked on Thor and made Ragnarok the strongest of the Thor films yet, they've done the same with Captain America working on building his character in Civil War, Marvel survives it's mistakes with their great casting, even the weaker characters are portrayed well.. DC just doesn't listen to fan feedback and just keeps churning out the same mistakes repeatedly.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 9:15 am

Well even if he does have the personality of a Boy Scout I still think I like him than more than Superheroes who do have more personalities and better movies but the problem is that may not make any sense to others and they may ask why would you choose Superman over those other guys when you admitted they probably have better personalities? Truth be told I don't know myself or maybe I have bad taste I dunno but I will admit the people around Supes (Lois, Lex) and the world(s) he live in (Metropolis, Krypton) are more memorable. Maybe that's why I like him so much. Heck maybe I like corniness more than seriousness at times.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:09 pm

...Are you aware that there is a tendency among comic fans to call him " Big Blue ", from " Big Biue Boy Scout " :D ? That's sometimes even made it into in-story in the comic books, with people saying it :). Can I convince you somehow to read the comics :lol: ?

if he does have the personality of a Boy Scout I still think I like him than more than Superheroes who do have more personalities and better movies but the problem is that may not make any sense to others and they may ask why would you choose Superman over those other guys when you admitted they probably have better personalities? Truth be told I don't know myself or maybe I have bad taste I dunno but I will admit the people around Supes (Lois, Lex) and the world(s) he live in (Metropolis, Krypton) are more memorable. Maybe that's why I like him so much. Heck maybe I like corniness more than seriousness at times.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 2:06 am

I don't hate him, but he's not really my favorite. His old stuff is fine, but you can only go so many decades with stories of "well, he's too powerful to hurt, but we can kidnap the people he loves!"

I like the radio serial a lot (though some stories started to get REALLY goofy), and the first few seasons of the TV show were good. I have a few books of his original comics, and they're good, but he was a HUGE jerk back then. The WWII era stuff where he's fighting Nazi scientists and their atomic abominations is really fantastic. I mean seriously.

I've never liked any of his movies, or the videogames. A lot of people say there's a Superman Curse.

Actually, I do kind of like Superman III, but it's for all the wrong reasons =)

VIDEODROME wrote:
The nitpicks are fair, but I think Superman's incredible power puts him in a place of having a unique ethical burden of how to handle that power.

I really like what Frank Miller did to him in The Dark Knight Returns.

Sorry, I thought we had spoiler tags at this forum??

[spoiler]He basically turned him into this mythical god who would appear during times of crisis to clean things up, and then disappear again.[/spoiler]

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 3:53 pm

Superman is my favourite superhero but the current films have been awful, most people will be judging by that. The standard superhero archetype is a flawed person with a few powers, superman is morally unflawed with great power which makes his character so much more interesting to me he knows he has to restrain himself he can never get angry and go seek revenge. I think DC is as much as about the villains as it is about the hero's and I would say overall Superman has the best mythology and the best villains.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 4:19 pm

Some people like him, some don't, like everything else in the world. Apples and oranges, milk and dark chocolate, original recipe and extra-crispy. Don't see any flame wars or hate/death/rape threats over people's preferences about *those* things. :roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 4:25 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Some people claim Superman is so powerful it's hard to get him into an interesting conflict or along with that the idea of Batman even challenging Superman as absurd. I suppose the Clark Kent side to him seems like a bland character or the whole Eye Glasses thing confounding people so they can't realize he's Superman is a bit much.

The nitpicks are fair, but I think Superman's incredible power puts him in a place of having a unique ethical burden of how to handle that power. It's like the quote from Spiderman "With great power comes great responsibility." but to a greater extreme. He could single handedly conquer Earth or be a vicious ruler like Darkseid, but he makes himself follow a better path.

I just have never been able to even fathom why Batman and Superman would be fighting each other anyways. I mean Batman's main focus always seems to be protecting Gotham City...so in what situation would he and Superman get into it. Like would Superman Threaten Gotham city? I Kind of doubt it because why would a superhero attack a city. So yeah I can't really fathom any premise where that would make sense, unless some villain set them against each other or something.

That said I am not all that into superheros, but if I had to pick favorites I'd probably go with Batman and Spiderman.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 4:05 pm

The LINK to story, 'Why I Hate Superman' might be of interest.

Basically, the Superman character has increasingly become an outdated notion e.g., Don't wait for "a Superman-like" character - make it happen yourself!

Or never-mind the character who can "leap across tall buildings in a single bound" e.g., who are here, and there - How about those important people in our lives who are T-H-E-R-E?

LINK: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/why-hate-superman