Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2018, 11:44 am

I live with a guy who has been diagnosed as Schizophrenic. He has been Schizophrenic from a very young age, yet he has also denied the fact up until the last year or so.
His lack of knowledge bothers me some as he has NO desire to learn anything.
He is in his late 40's and we have known each other for many years.
I mean this guy has NO worldly knowledge. He would not know how to get on a suburban bus if I did not explain it to him. He has no idea of towns, cities, states or countries. He simply has NO knowledge of what is real.
What he does know is; how to report his support pension each fortnight, how to purchase cigarettes, how to purchase alcohol and that is about it.
My question to you who read this post is; how on Earth can I help him?

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:49 pm

I'm wondering whether he seems content with his life as it is?
I mean, if there were things in his life that he accepted as problematic, you could maybe offer to help with those particular problems - and in doing so maybe gently open his eyes to other things?
Not sure, though, I have no knowledge of schizophrenia, sorry I can't give you more educated advice.
Wishing you luck, anyway.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2018, 9:50 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
I mean, if there were things in his life that he accepted as problematic, you could maybe offer to help with those particular problems - and in doing so maybe gently open his eyes to other things?
Not sure, though, I have no knowledge of schizophrenia, sorry I can't give you more educated advice.
Wishing you luck, anyway.

Your advise is most welcome, thank you.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2018, 10:12 am

MrsPeel wrote:

I do believe that he is content with his life.
He seems to enjoy his delusional world.
What frustrates me is; I am never going to be able enter his world.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2018, 10:58 am

MrsPeel wrote:

Yes MrsPeel,
I do now believe he is very content in his life. However his life is all in his delusional mind and sadly he has no understanding of reality.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 11:06 am

If he's schizophrenic then neither you nor any psychiatrist is going to change the faulty way in which he thinks. Best thing then is to simply acknowledge is lack of knowledge of world affairs and move on. You're just trying to squeeze blood from a stone. Ain't gonna happen.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2018, 1:52 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
If he's schizophrenic then neither you nor any psychiatrist is going to change the faulty way in which he thinks. Best thing then is to simply acknowledge is lack of knowledge of world affairs and move on. You're just trying to squeeze blood from a stone. Ain't gonna happen.

Dear redrobin62,
I am old enough to take solid good advise. I thank you for you advise, however I am a tad pissed off. WHY did you not tell me this 25 years ago!! !
Seriously, thank you, I am most grateful.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2018, 8:56 am

He just never express's emotion. I have never seen him cry or smile, god only knows what is going on in his mind. He simply is 'off with the fairies.'

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 3:07 pm

bobaspie2015 wrote:
I live with a guy who has been diagnosed as Schizophrenic. He has been Schizophrenic from a very young age, yet he has also denied the fact up until the last year or so.
I mean this guy has NO worldly knowledge. He would not know how to get on a suburban bus if I did not explain it to him. He has no idea of towns, cities, states or countries. He simply has NO knowledge of what is real.
What he does know is; how to report his support pension each fortnight, how to purchase cigarettes, how to purchase alcohol and that is about it.
Well, The thing is that being schizophrenic means you have no concept of what's real. So if you don't understand that what you are seeing is real then it is hard to learn.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 5:56 pm

I have a friend who has a soft spot in her heart for meth and heroin addicts. She thinks that, with kindness and love, she can bring them around to sobriety. Thus far, she has been in about six or seven relationships like that AND NOT ONE addict has stopped using. In fact, they've abused her to the point where she was suicidal. MAYBE one day she'll wake up and realize her efforts are futile. Maybe.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 6:06 pm

This guy must have SOME virtues, since you've been living with him quite a while.

And it's probably more than just "looks."

Tibergrace
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2018, 7:01 pm

You should just leave him be, worry about your own problems. It's not wise to put other people's problems on your own plate.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

09 Feb 2018, 7:13 pm

Is he just sharing an apparent with you or he's your partner? If he's just your flatmate, leave him alone. If he's your partner, why, if it bothers you so much?

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2018, 1:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
This guy must have SOME virtues, since you've been living with him quite a while.
And it's probably more than just "looks."

Yes he is a good guy .... and has many good qualities.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2018, 1:27 am

smudgedhorizon wrote:
Is he just sharing an apparent with you or he's your partner? If he's just your flatmate, leave him alone. If he's your partner, why, if it bothers you so much?

We have tried to be boyfriends, but it was too much for this Aspie. I do leave him alone.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 7:38 pm

bobaspie2015 wrote:

None of the details you mention have anything to do with "schizophrenia".

Schizophrenics can have high executive skills, and high education, and still have the defining delusions of schizophrenia.

What exactly are trying to "help" him with?

Like everyone else above said he seems happy with his life.