Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

beady
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:53 pm

In north carolina where I am, it is also required by law that you turn in the license plate. The buyer has to get a new one. I don't know you rules but I think a call to you dmv would be helpful on Monday.

Also, the dmv may have the vin and the license plate info for you as well.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:56 pm

League_Girl wrote:
sly279 wrote:
So apparently your suppose to report when you sell a car not just buy one. I didn’t know thst or when he transferred the title so now I’ll be charged $250 fine and get a traffic violation on my record, all for lousy $150 I sold it for :cry:

I am confused. I never had to report when I got a new car and gave my other car to my in laws and I never got hit with a fine.

I didn’t know either but my sister wanted an official bill of sale of her car so I went to the dmv to print one and st the bottom it says sell has 10 days or will be fine or something like that and gives the ors nummer.

There’s actually two forms I guess which is confusing.

Form of transfer
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Forms/DMV/6890.pdf

Bill of sale
http://www.oregon.gov/odot/forms/dmv/501fill.pdf

The ors it points to
https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/803.012

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:59 pm

beady wrote:
In north carolina where I am, it is also required by law that you turn in the license plate. The buyer has to get a new one. I don't know you rules but I think a call to you dmv would be helpful on Monday.

Also, the dmv may have the vin and the license plate info for you as well.

Her th plates stay on the car. I’d have to explain to them I was trying to lie to them by not putting the date of sale :s

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 9:08 pm

Call some traffic lawyers in your area. My cousin did that as a potential client and he got a bunch of free advice on what to do.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 9:15 pm

No, you do not have to say anything regarding the missing date on your bill of sale.

The link in your post to the DMV Notice of Sale or Transfer is the only form you need to submit. The second link to the bill of sale is there for you if you want to use it, but according to the second link I posted you are not obligated to submit a bill of sale. You ARE obligated to submit the Notice of Sale or Transfer.

When you follow the second link I posted, then follow another link on that page: "Notify DMV", you will find an online form you can fill out. This form is the same Notice of Sale of Transfer but an online version. It does require the license plate and the vin number. The date that you put on this form will be the one that determines how long the buyer has to complete the transfer. Please also note that the information without a red asterisk is optional.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 9:18 pm

Can you get the license plate number and vin?

That is all you need. This is really simple. No need to worry about fines or jail or even lawyers.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 9:32 pm

beady wrote:
No, you do not have to say anything regarding the missing date on your bill of sale.

The link in your post to the DMV Notice of Sale or Transfer is the only form you need to submit. The second link to the bill of sale is there for you if you want to use it, but according to the second link I posted you are not obligated to submit a bill of sale. You ARE obligated to submit the Notice of Sale or Transfer.

When you follow the second link I posted, then follow another link on that page: "Notify DMV", you will find an online form you can fill out. This form is the same Notice of Sale of Transfer but an online version. It does require the license plate and the vin number. The date that you put on this form will be the one that determines how long the buyer has to complete the transfer. Please also note that the information without a red asterisk is optional.

Bud if I was to put a different date then him they’d know one of us lied.
I believe it’s a felony to lie to the government.

I think I wrote the plate down in my bill of sale I made but not the vin. And i dont know where it is so I’ll have to look for it when I get home.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 9:44 pm

You cannot worry about whether the person who bought your car will lie or not. All you can do is put down what you believe to be the truth and don't worry about it from there. The DMV probably could care less if the dates match exactly. People have imperfect memories. The form you submit protects you starting from the date that you put on there as to when you sold the car. Just get the form in and you are done.

If you would like to inform your buyer what date you put on that form then please do that AFTER you have submitted the form to the DMV. If your buyer has already registered the car in his name he probably put the actual sale date since he has 30 days and that time has nowhere near expired. You cannot worry about protecting the buyer, you must worry about protecting yourself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 10:12 pm

I didn’t know it was that recent....

Otherwise, I would have given similar advice to Beady.

You’re not in bad shape, Sly. Don’t panic.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 11:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I didn’t know it was that recent....

Otherwise, I would have given similar advice to Beady.

You’re not in bad shape, Sly. Don’t panic.

I don’t habe anything with the plate number on it. He just keeps ignoring my requests for the plate and vin. I can’t ask the dmv as he transferred it to him last Monday meaning it’s not mine meaning they won’t tell me. I tried to look for pictures but apparently I never took a single picture and f the car in the 8 years I owned it :cry:

I can’t file the sale without the plate and vin numbers

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 2:30 am

He won’t tell me the plate and just says nothing will happen. On top of it he’s being really pushy about comover Tomorrow so his friend can buy my sisters old car.

I do t understand why he’s against me reporting it as sold if he did the title transfer.

I guess I’ll have to go down to the dmv with the info I have and says I have the vin but not the plate number. Tell them the day he told me 1/29 and just wait to be fined or get s court date :(

I’m so utterly done with anything to do with car owner ship. Every part of owning a car is horrible from buyin it to selling it.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 2:49 am

This is like claiming you might get the death penalty for committing a misdemeanor.

I failed to pay my car registration for three years because the car was inoperable but was never put in non-op. I had stopped receiving notices from the DMV because the first year, I had paid the registration but never completed it by getting a smog certificate, and the "pending registration" status prevented the registration renewal notices from being sent out the years after. When I had to get the car running again, the DMV told me I had to pay a few hundred dollars. I politely explained to the clerk what had happened explained the car hadn't been on the road for those years. She was very sympathetic to the situation and removed as many fees as the system would let her, reducing the amount I owed by a few hundred dollars.

You might be able to clear the issue up just by going to the DMV in person and talking to someone. If you still have to pay fines to the DMV, you can make payment arrangements. You may also be able to contest it in court and make the judge aware of your financial situation but if you have to pay it you may be able to make payment arrangements still.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 3:03 am

Chronos wrote:
This is like claiming you might get the death penalty for committing a misdemeanor.

I failed to pay my car registration for three years because the car was inoperable but was never put in non-op. I had stopped receiving notices from the DMV because the first year, I had paid the registration but never completed it by getting a smog certificate, and the "pending registration" status prevented the registration renewal notices from being sent out the years after. When I had to get the car running again, the DMV told me I had to pay a few hundred dollars. I politely explained to the clerk what had happened explained the car hadn't been on the road for those years. She was very sympathetic to the situation and removed as many fees as the system would let her, reducing the amount I owed by a few hundred dollars.

You might be able to clear the issue up just by going to the DMV in person and talking to someone. If you still have to pay fines to the DMV, you can make payment arrangements. You may also be able to contest it in court and make the judge aware of your financial situation but if you have to pay it you may be able to make payment arrangements still.

I hope so. It’s just stupid, the buyer gets 30 days to report it and only fined $25 for failure to do so. The seller has only 10 days and is then sent to court and fined $250 for failure to report the sell. Why is it so unfairly balanced? So I get the same violation as if I speed and fined but the buyer only has to pay $25 fine 0.o

Here if you don’t pay your registration they just keep track and when you go to renew it it cost the same for as if you’d had it but backdated to when it was due. So if it’s a year later you pay for two years and only get one years worth.

See that worries me too. My sister was charged the same for failure to stop at a stop sign and had to pay $50 each month, I can’t afford $50 so I’d have to take it out of my savings, seems I’m just never meant to have a savings. The judge can no longer wipe it away. They use to be able to discharge the fine but now they have to charge at least the min fine. So people in Salem thought it was unfair nice judges in some area would do it and that mean judges in others wouldn’t so their solution was to make it so nice judges can’t be nice anymore. Or really to make sure salem gets its money.

I shouldn’t just scrapped the car. Instead I did this guy a favor. He considers me s friend. But I don’t get why he’s against giving me the plate number, unless he hasn’t transferred it and is up to shady stuff. As if he isn’t up to something then me reporting the sale wouldn’t do anything

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 7:53 am

Chronos wrote:

Is this an autistic trait , an anxiety issue or something else ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 8:03 am

In essence, he didn’t even commit a traffic violation, and he, at first, acted like he committed a misdemeanor.

Yep, Sly, I would go down to the DMV, and explain the situation. I would also talk to traffic lawyers online, or in person. And when you talk to them online, edit what you wrote.

Don’t procrastinate, even if this is a hassle.

If you procrastinate, and you get fined, interest will accumulate the longer you don’t pay the fine. It’s also not good to have outstanding fines on your record.

You actually, at this point, have not even committed anything.

Go down to the DMV.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 9:56 am

I think what they're looking for is a release of liability. In California it's a perforated tear off part of the title, but is also available on the dmv's website (for free).
Although it could be different in Oregon.
I don't think it's a big deal though.
I think that either the DMV or your insurance company should have the VIN number and license plate number, and as long as you're able to provide identification and explain why you need it, either one should provide you with that.
You should go to the DMV, take any mail or paperwork you've gotten from them, and be sure to start by asking for help to sort this out.
They'll be able to help you figure it out.