Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 12:22 pm

I understand, sfbg. I've had those very same experiences with some therapists. I was determined to find a therapist who I, actually, could talk to/express myself to, who was more, like an acquaintance I happened to meet and click with, who I could simply have an occassional/as needed, back and forth with, and acquire some helpful guidance and support from, targeted at specific situations I experience from time to time, and I finally, did.

After some of the negative experiences I've had with therapy, and reading of the struggles people have with the process of finding a therapist, I know how fortunate I am. I have been seeing a therapist, for several years, now, and she has helped me get through some of the most challenging aspects and moments of my life, as well as supported me with some excellent advice with life in general. I suppose I should add that my therapist works, specifically, with autistic adults and children, and this is extremely important and valuable to me, as I would think would be for most, if not all who need support with some of the challenges we can face.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 4:08 pm

Britte

The current counselor is the 35th counselor that I have had.

(That includes volunteers)

She is not obsessed with the Mandated Reporter Law.

That, itself, is golden.

She specializes in lgbt. She appall versed in autism. Much better versed than other counselors

But she acts like I am emotionally fragile

And she might be correct

But she acts like everything is so dramatic

She acts like I am Superman

"Helping people eat" :roll:

She made it sound like I was a Peace corps volunteer. Two years. Five thousand precious lil "people". Two thousand calories. And none of them dropped dead. Otherwise they all would have dropped dead. And dropping dead is always a bad thing

She acts like everything and everyone is completely good or completely bad.

She acts like everyone that does not treat me like a comic book superhero is some sort of villain

Then she's the :cry: hero :roll: and "helping" me feel better

She made it sound like rocket science

:roll:

It reminds me of how at ucsd, a clinical psychologist had the nerve to tell me that she would "help you decipher" a letter

Wtf :oops:

:?:

:ninja:

The letter is in English

And I have no problem with English

At least, not any more of a problem than she does

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:29 pm

She sounds somewhat patronizing, as well as, condescending, or similar, as if she may see you as less than the person you are, and what you are capable of. Perhaps she is also, somewhat, exploitative. The dramatic aspect would not sit well with me, either. I don't know if Ive interpreted all of what you've expressed, correctly. I hope I have. I cannot say what is best for you. I know you haven't asked me to. In terms of myself, I tend to, readily, absorb other's perspectives and perceptions of me, even those of which are incorrect, or false, thus, she would be someone who could cause me to feel bad or worse, but, you may have a different composition than I have, and what effects me, may not effect you as much, or in the same way.

35 therapists is a lot. Are you in a situation that requires you to have counseling? Forgive me if you already mentioned it. I haven't had the opportunity to read through the entire thread, as of yet. You aren't too far from my therapist, if you are still near UCSD. Although, I suppose that's subjective. She is approx 2 hours north of you. I am 80 miles North of her, but, I do other things in the area when I go to see her, and it works out, well. Perhaps you would jive with my therapist. She is extremely, straight forward, sees a lot more positive in me than I find in myself, and she is encouraging, uplifting and supportive. Also, she doesnt require her patients to do more therapy than is necessary. If you're in a rut, she is there. Not at the drop of a dime, but within a week or two. If you're doing well, you can stop seeing her. She is balanced, kind, easy going with a positive, encouraging disposition, with vast knowledge and experience. She provides me with tools to use when I'm out in the world, facing day to day experiences. She takes a proactive, moving forward approach, which is what I need.

Currently, I am experiencing the dreaded burnout, and trying to figure out how to proceed with work. I don't have the financial ability to retire, nor do I see retirement in my future. But, that's neither here nor there, in terms of the topic at hand.

For now, keep pressing on with your therapist. I would happily provide you with my therapist's contact information, if you would like me to.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 10:31 am

Britte

Your counselor is too far away from where I live for me to go

The insurance pays for me to get the current counselor

Until November 2018. Once every other week

Otherwise clients have to pay 75 bucks cash

:roll:

Oh well whatever

Maybe the things that disgust me about the current counselor (excessive drama and euphemisms) are what her grad school taught or what everyone else in the world wants

So whatever

But I can dump her

But if I dump her I do not know if the insurance will let me get another counselor

And if I got another counselor, that counselor could be worse

It could be partially my fault

Maybe I am unsuitable for counseling

There are numerous words I hate, that are standard keywords for "most people".

Example:

Help, hurt, people, what , huh, important, care, guy, girl, rude, disrespectful

It's not just the current counselor

But I have become pretty misanthropic

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 12:50 am

I've seen 10 different counselors at this point. Two have been helpful, my current one, and one from way back (who I didn't see for long since I only temporarily lived there).

I've found that (from my experience, at least) it'll be obvious pretty quickly whether or not they're helpful. I've stuck with bad ones for far too long.

Though my current counselor isn't very familiar with ASD, and he's also encouraging me to see an additional counselor for PTSD based on some of the stuff that I described.

My insurance covers 90% after deductible (and no limits), so I'm not too concerned about costs, but it's kind of exhausting at times. Especially because my current counselor is an hour's drive away. I chose him based on a referral from someone who was equally frustrated with the difficulty of finding a good one and had (finally) found one that was helpful.

I've been unable to find a counselor within my insurance network who is in the area, familiar with ASD, works with adults, and also is taking new patients.