Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 3:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
We would have probably entered WW II on the side of the Allies eventually......Pearl Harbor just accelerated the process.

The American people had a very strong bias towards isolationism at the time...
The establishment had a great deal of difficulty in changing/influencing that initially...

It has often been suggested that the attack on Peal harbour was allowed to happen without any major defensive action so as to incense the general American population against the Axis...
To create a moral outrage which unambiguously unified public opinion...

While this isn't an actual fact, to my knowledge, it is an obvious strategy which has been used before and presumably, used many times before...
The human psyche is appalling, after all...<shrug>

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Feb 2018, 4:12 pm

Pepe wrote:
So you are saying it is better to use the term: "blacks"?
And can you confirm whether or not "Negro" is or isn't a politically incorrect term in America?

Being neither American nor black, I am not an expert on this. But yes, "negro" would be considered politically incorrect today, so should be used carefully.

"Blacks" also seems a little shaky to me. I think generally in this country you'd use the singular "black", with appropriate nouns ("black people", "black populations", etc.). In the US, people may or may not steer you more towards "African-American", but this is a point of contention.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 8:09 pm

In regard to the OP:
I myself am an American largely of German stock on both sides. My family has had a long memory, and I can honestly say, I had never heard occasion of German Americans being targeted with discrimination in the WWII era, particularly by the government. Now, the WWI era was very different, with German Americans being targeted as imagined fifth columnists - along with pacifists, labor radicals, leftists, and eventually blacks and Jews (it's no accident that the KKK was reborn in that political atmosphere) all under the aegis of the Wilson administration. But the period of time before, and of, the Second World War, the question of German American loyalty wasn't a concern, with the exception of a Pro-Nazi minority. Far from it, the Roosevelt administration purposely placed many generals with German names at the helm of the war effort. In fact, while Roosevelt is a Dutch name, the Roosevelt family themselves have a degree of German ancestry.

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

09 Feb 2018, 6:43 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
In regard to the OP:
I myself am an American largely of German stock on both sides. My family has had a long memory, and I can honestly say, I had never heard occasion of German Americans being targeted with discrimination in the WWII era, particularly by the government. Now, the WWI era was very different, with German Americans being targeted as imagined fifth columnists - along with pacifists, labor radicals, leftists, and eventually blacks and Jews (it's no accident that the KKK was reborn in that political atmosphere) all under the aegis of the Wilson administration. But the period of time before, and of, the Second World War, the question of German American loyalty wasn't a concern, with the exception of a Pro-Nazi minority. Far from it, the Roosevelt administration purposely placed many generals with German names at the helm of the war effort. In fact, while Roosevelt is a Dutch name, the Roosevelt family themselves have a degree of German ancestry.

Do you deny that German Americans were sent to Prison Camps in the US, during The Second World War?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 11:01 am

TwinRuler wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
In regard to the OP:

Do you deny that German Americans were sent to Prison Camps in the US, during The Second World War?

Of course there were, but these were comparatively few in comparison to the numbers of Japanese Americans sent to camps. Yes, it was an outrageous attack on their civil rights, no one can deny that. But as far as I can see, all of the German Americans interned were new immigrants off the boat, rather than the millions of Americans of German descent who had been born and raised in American culture. Even so, not every German immigrant was detained, as many such as the actor who played Col. Klink on Hogan's Heroes had fled with his family from the Nazis, and had even served in the American army during the war.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 11:12 am

“Negro” is a discredited term in the United States. It is still used in a neutral sense in the Caribbean.

It is acceptable to call a black person “black” in some contexts.....but using it as a descriptive adjective (in a racial sense) invites a fight.

In polite company, “African-American,” or a “person of African origins” is acceptable. “Black” is not polite. “People of color” is used for all “non-white” people.

It’s a misnomer, really, to call about 99% of people of African origins who live in the US “black.”

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 11:17 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
“Negro” is a discredited term in the United States. It is still used in a neutral sense in the Caribbean.

It is acceptable to call a black person “black” in some contexts.....but using it as a descriptive adjective (in a racial sense) invites a fight.

In polite company, “African-American,” or a “person of African origins” is acceptable. “Black” is not polite. “People of color” is used for all “non-white” people.

It’s a misnomer, really, to call about 99% of people of African origins who live in the US “black.”

There are racists who have taken up calling African Americans, negroes, using it now as a term they can get away with in public, but which can carry with it negative connotations.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 11:24 am

They wouldn’t get away with it in NYC.

Unless it’s a Caribbean talking to another Caribbean.

Some very old people still use “colored.”

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 11:57 am

Why is negro a racist word? It is a word that fallen out of use. Dated does not equate to racist.
Unlike n****r, negro was almost always used as a descriptor not a slur. I have not heard a whole bunch of people using negro as a slur or using negro at all. Maybe a few SJW’s are hearing it all over the used as a slur. Today’s racists use code words or expressions like black crime, them, bad element, lowlifes, pro white etc.

Do we need to redact or change all historical documents, records, old media online and in libraries so as not offend people?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 12:10 pm

By about 1968, the news media in the US stopped using “negro” in any context. It was replaced by “black,” primarily.

It was considered demeaning, from my experience, to call someone a “negro.” Sort if like calling a black male “boy.” Both were fighting words.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 1:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
By about 1968, the news media in the US stopped using “negro” in any context. It was replaced by “black,” primarily.

It was considered demeaning, from my experience, to call someone a “negro.” Sort if like calling a black male “boy.” Both were fighting words.

On the flip side, is "tighty whities" a derogative term these days?
I meant 'flippant' side...:mrgreen:

FYI:
Urban dictionary:
Tighty Whities:
Quote:
A synonym for briefs. They are underwear worn for there support purposes, antonym of boxers. The pros of tighty whities are support in gym class and hiding an erection. The disadvantages are that if you are pantsed then your penis will appear smaller, and that they might strangle your penis.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... %20whities

And no one wants a strangled penis... 8O :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 5:57 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Why is negro a racist word? It is a word that fallen out of use. Dated does not equate to racist.
Unlike n****r, negro was almost always used as a descriptor not a slur. I have not heard a whole bunch of people using negro as a slur or using negro at all. Maybe a few SJW’s are hearing it all over the used as a slur. Today’s racists use code words or expressions like black crime, them, bad element, lowlifes, pro white etc.

Do we need to redact or change all historical documents, records, old media online and in libraries so as not offend people?

Trust me, they use if on forums that they try to pass off as anthropological sites, or on the comment section of Yahoo news articles. Some of them even get creative, and use spellings such as, "knee grows." They use the word negro precisely because it is from a more archaic time in America that they'd like to return to, and because it sound suspiciously like the unusable word.

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2018, 8:13 am

Soon, it will be the 100th Anniversary of The Second World War. Then, and only then, shall the entire truth of the matter come out, once and for all. We shall learn more about Roosevelt and the skeletons in his closet.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 1:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Trust me, they use if on forums that they try to pass off as anthropological sites, or on the comment section of Yahoo news articles. Some of them even get creative, and use spellings such as, "knee grows." They use the word negro precisely because it is from a more archaic time in America that they'd like to return to, and because it sound suspiciously like the unusable word.

I am reading a book about the administration of NYC mayor John Lindsey. I am up to 1968. The exhaustive study has many many quotes from people and articles and commentary from that time. Race relations were obvoiusly a major issue then. Negro was the most common useage with black thrown in once and awhile. It was used a descriptor most of the time. If my memory serves me correct amoung whites black was more of a slur as in “the blacks want to move in and ruin the neighboorhood”. I do not remember anybody saying something like “the negros bring crime and lower property values”.

The Yahoo comment section demonstrates how political correctness backfires. In making a formal descriptor somehow racist they are creating a self fulfilling prophecy.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 9:39 pm

Speaking of Franklin Roosevelt, that icon of the Democratic Party:

A Date That Should Live in Infamy
Never forget Executive Order 9066

On February 19, 1942 — seventy-four years ago today — Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066. With the stroke of his pen, the man who had earlier snubbed Jesse Owens after the Berlin Olympics used his executive powers to order the imprisonment of over 100,000 persons of Japanese ancestry (as well as thousands of German and Italian ancestry) for the duration of World War II.

Most of the internees were natural-born American citizens, whose “crime” was having a parent or merely a grandparent with Japanese blood. It was an act of naked, aggressive racism that damaged people and families, including my own, for generations.

https://fee.org/articles/american-infamy/

There Are Four Lights!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 10:07 pm

there is no evidence that the GOP wouldn't have done the same thing if not worse.