Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 3:14 pm

"His illness is Machiavellian in its complexity"What psychiatrist who doesn’t deserve a good kicking puts that in your notes when all you have done is sought more help,support and understanding?

That’s the kind of pig ignorant crap I’ve had to put up with from the psychiatric profession over the years.

Taken from a google search for Machiavellian:

Machiavellian
ˌmakɪəˈvɛlɪən/
adjective
adjective: Machiavellian

cunning, scheming, and unscrupulous, especially in politics.
"a whole range of outrageous Machiavellian manoeuvres"
synonyms: devious, cunning, crafty, artful, wily, sly, scheming, designing, conniving, opportunistic, insidious, treacherous, perfidious, two-faced, Janus-faced, tricky, double-dealing, unscrupulous, deceitful, dishonest; informalfoxy
"there were press accusations of Machiavellian deception"

antonyms: straightforward, ingenuous

noun
noun: Machiavellian; plural noun: Machiavellians

a person who schemes in a Machiavellian way.

A rather negative thing to say about a person . Psychiatrist as abuser.

Comments such as “awkward,demanding and troublesome” were being made around the same time.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 5:55 pm

Did someone actually write this in your patient record FireMonkey?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 6:52 pm

B19 wrote:
Did someone actually write this in your patient record FireMonkey?

Yes,they did. To put it into context around the same time according to the notes I was being described as "awkward,demanding and troublesome" for seeking more help,support and understanding.
I knew relations with the mental health team and I were bad but not the actual words used in the notes until I saw them years later.

Good mental health professionals should root out and hound bad and nasty ones out of the profession.There should be no hiding place for such vermin.
The trouble with psychiatrists is that their level of power and influence often exceeds their level of decency and intelligence.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 7:02 pm

There are some very dubious practitioners. Do you have a Health and Safety Commissioner service to hear patient complaints? We do here, and they can instruct patient advocates to take up issues like this on the patient's behalf with the practitioner involved, typically in circumstances like that, the practitioner who has acted unprofessionally is ordered to apologise in writing and amend the records. That's the lowest level of action, the Commissioner has stronger "teeth" when the situation is serious enough. (Such as referring a practitioner to the Medical Council which is the professional body that oversees doctors). Practitioners can be fined and even in rare cases taken to Court and struck off.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 7:13 pm

There is https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1082.aspx?CategoryID=68. The thing is I didn't know of them at the time .Also I didn't know of the comments till years after they were written. These places are good if you have the mental strength to battle against unscrupulous mental health professionals covering each other's backs. At the time I had no one to support me and at the time relations were bad, and such comments were being made , I was stressed and struggling trying to care for a wife with dementia.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 7:37 pm

I understand. That's the beauty of the patient advocate system. These people are trained to advocate on your behalf as an inclusive process.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 7:52 pm

Yeah. That's a bad choice of words because it impunes your character because it implies that you're faking it, or something. Plotting on purpose.

IF you really are bonkers, and bonkers in a way that is complex, and hard to understand, but you're an honest nutcase who cant help it (lol!) then the doc shoulda a picked a better (morally neutral) metaphor.

"Byzantine in complexity"? Naw. Still implies deliberate plotting and deception (as in court intrigue).

A Bach fugue is what I think of when I think of "complexity". And the visual art and archecture of Bach's time (tumbling kid angels all over the place, and like that).

I would have said "baroque in complexity", or if you wanna go one better: "rococo in complexity" (rococo means "more baroque than baroque. Fancier than fancy. over the top).

Morally neutral, and asthetically pleasing in his...nuttiness! Like the Brandenburg Concertos.

"His mental illness is baroque in complexity". I like it.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 5:30 am

Of course admitting it was 'complex' as opposed to 'Machiavellian in complexity' might have meant actually bothering to find out what affects me , my problems and how best to provide help and support . It would have a been a catalyst for people to put their thinking caps on how to help with the complexity. Certainly it might have meant people looking deeper and stepping out of the tunnel vision of " Everything relates to the psychiatric diagnosis".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 11:00 am

You don't seem like a "Machiavellian" sort to me.....

I'm sensing that whoever stated this thinks you're quite bright---and that's why he/she might believe you don't have the "disorders" you were diagnosed with, and that you're trying to "game the system."

I would tend to disagree with that assessment.

If you wanted to become a king, I would say that faking an autism spectrum disorder, or any psychiatric disorder, really, would be a pretty disastrous way to go about it.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 11:09 am

Even if he thought I was 'quite bright'(I'm actually described as highly/very intelligent in the notes by various pdocs) since when has that necessarily indicated "gaming the system" ?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 11:14 am

I'm planning to go to my secret weekend laboratory to plot world domination and other dastardly deeds, all under the guise of a mild mannered neurodivergent with some mental health problems.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 11:37 am

Don't worry about what this particular person said. I sense that it was based on a distorted personal impression.