Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

blukarma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2018, 3:28 pm

Any of you have any experience with one? The intent is that they help with elopement and give the child a box of freedom to operate in. They are tethered to the dog and the dog to a handler. The dog can also be detached from the handler and provide an anchor for the child. They also can provide pressure contact that should lessen tantrums.

I'm also curious to know what any autism rights advocates would think about this.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 4:16 pm

Is the dog being attached to the handler a temporary thing while training? When you say boxed in, it sounds as if the dog is meant to be a jailer. As long as the dog is meant to support/help/befriend/love, the child then I think it's a really good idea. Like with guide dogs for the blind. Total acceptance, we all want that :)

Kisster
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2018, 3:47 pm

We have an Autism Assistance Service Dog for my 11 year old daughter. We've had him for just over 1.5 years and obtained him from 4 Paws for Ability in Xenia, Ohio. They only train service dogs for children and veterans, as well as breed many of their dogs. I was able to get him by fundraising for part of his cost. Tutu is trained in tethering, behavior disruption, and tracking (in cases of elopement). He doesn't actually hook to an adult for tethering, just the child, and the adult always has control of the leash. The dog is able to counter-balance the child's weight (even as they grow larger) and become enough of an anchor to deter them from trying to elope. The kids tend to deal with that better than being tethered to a parent. My daughter has been able to cut down to just holding a handle or smaller leash (attached to his vest) when we are in familiar and/or uncrowded places. She doesn't mind holding him but would strongly refuse to hold my hand!
Behavior disruption has been a handy task because Tutu has a few different ways to handle those, depending on what we need. He can lay completely over her legs and give her deep pressure to help calm her down. He can also just lay his head on her lap or leg to do less pressure. In either position, she is able to pet his soft fur and get calming sensory input. He also does a nudge with his head to disrupt self-injury behaviors, or if she gets a little too goofy. She's not a fan of "kisses" but he does them when she gets really upset or stuck (maybe to try and bring her out of it?)
Tutu has been a ton of work, and my daughter has not always been exactly welcoming of him. I do hear her talking to him at night, which is super cute. It has definitely discouraged eloping behaviors, and it is fantastic having him as another set of eyes on her. He does everything he can to please her (and me!)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 3:55 pm