Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 7:56 pm

Do kitchen appliances stop working after certain of years?

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 8:58 pm

Older designs seem to last forever. Most new appliances are designed by the manufacturer to wear out after a certain length of time. They set the timeline just short of angering the consumer while maximizing profits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 9:46 pm

My parents have gotten several new stove ovens in only the past few years and they've broken down, One time when I was over it started smoking and I decided to head downstairs before it blew up, which it didn't unfortunately. I know they deliberately make them break down quickly just to make more money. There should be a law. :evil:

I read most household appliances aren't built to last more than a decade, so not only will I have them eventually go berserk on me, but I won't have the money to remove and replace them without my parent's help. :(

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 1:07 pm

Unfortunately what Mudboy said.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 1:27 am

I think something wrong with my refrigerator & it can get REALLY COLD. I think my toaster broke, it was secondhand. I know I should buy a new mattress. I’m not good of knowing what to do.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:59 am

This month on my parents' anniversary my mom was going to make homemade Chinese food for dad and herself. She hardly ever makes it because it's a lot of work with so many different foods and ingredients. But then the stove broke AGAIN, so they had no Chinese food for supper. :(

I'm beginning to wonder if they have a gremlin in their house. :) It's kind of like my Sims 4 game where you can now give your house different traits that are positive or negative, like gremlins that break stuff or gnomes that fix it at night.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 12:21 pm

Maybe they should get a priest, monk, or witch to bless the house and chase out the evil spirits. Or, get a "do it yourself" kit. :) :)

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 6:17 pm

The refrigerator should have a temperature setting in it somewhere, you may just need to adjust it. I've heard they are more efficient if they are relatively full as well, so if you don't have much stuff in it you may try using water jugs to take up space.

On another note, I started volunteering in the thrift shop yesterday testing electronics. Today I saw a pretty amazing vintage toaster. Kind of scary, but also pretty elegant. Made by Sunbeam. No buttons on it. When you plug it in, the two bread holders very slowly and smoothly descend. When you unplug it, or when the toast is done, they very slowly and smoothly ascend. Pretty impressive to watch it work.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 7:13 pm

When I have to replace my appliances, I'd like to get the same sturdy, unglamorous workhorses that I typically had when I lived in an apartment. I had a refrigerator that was still going strong after at least fourteen years, a kitchen range the same, and a vent hood over that range likewise. My old microwave lasted fifteen years - sadly it was a GoldStar and they've been bought out, changed their name, and now make chi-chi pricey stuff that lasts ten minutes.

What do I ask for, when I talk to salespeople? "What do you have that's 'Builder standard' ?" Is that the term?

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 12:50 pm

I hope my parents stove and oven work okay on my Dad's birthday. And Easter. :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Feb 2018, 1:28 pm

elbowgrease is rite about the fridge having a temp setting. Maybe it got bumped or something. If that doesn't make a difference, you'd have to tell your landlord or property management cuz they're responsible of fixing it.

What I did when I bought our toast-r-oven was look em up on Amazon to see which 1s had the greatest percent of positive reviews. Then I read about the features & some positive & negative reviews. Then I ordered off there. I'm pretty happy with ours. The main issue is that we have to set it 50 degrees lower than whatever we're supposed to. I didn't read about that issue in the reviews & my girlfriend thinks it may be cuz of our altitude being up in the mountains since the regular oven in our apartment has to be set lower too. The other issue is that the time can only be set when it's 1st plugged in which means it has to be unplugged & plugged back in after the power flickers or goes out which barely happens.
What my parents did when their toast-r-oven broke more than a few years ago was go to different stores in the area & write the model numbers & brand down. Then they did like me & looked em up online but on multiple sites & read the reviews & features. Then they went to the store & bought it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition