Do attractive people depress you?

Page 8 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 8:06 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
more often than not, exceptionally attractive people have coasted by in life on their looks and charm. they aren't as likely to have done serious work on their insides.

I don't think working on my insides will be any substitute for looks and charms. It would be like trying to build a 100 foot tower using nothing but custard. I keep trying to pile it up but it just runs down again.

looks and charm soon fade to superficiality, but wisdom/compassion are durable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 8:07 pm

Yep.....wisdom and compassion often imbue a person, by extension, with charm.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 8:11 pm

cyberdad wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
The attractive person who depresses me most is my cousin's girlfriend. She looks like a supermodel :(

How did he get such an attractive girlfriend when he's just 18. When I was that age I was a decade away from getting a girlfriend.

And where did he find such a smoking hot girlfriend? My last girlfriend looked Rose Tico if she spent six months in the buffet on Canto Bight.

A lot of the time it's just luck and timing. Something as simple as your cousin having this hot girl in his highschool class being in same classroom as him might be the clincher.

I think you're right about timing. They started going together when he was about 17. So yeah, he probably did have her in his high school class.

Timing is a factor in this because he started dating when he was in high school. I started dating when I was 25. He was in an environment with a lot of girls who were the same age as him. I'm in an environment which is mostly full of middle aged people who are about 20 years older than me (my work).

The one thing my cousin and I have in common is that we're both introverted. We don't spontaneously go out to parties and things. But he didn't have to push himself into social situations because, being a high school student he was surrounded by same aged people. For me, I have to push myself into uncomfortable social situations to meet same aged people and even then there's only a chance that I'll meet my next SO there. To increase my chances I'd have to push myself into many different uncomfortable social situations.

So you're right. It's all about timing. If you want to have good timing, start dating when you're about 17 years old. Otherwise timing will work against you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 8:12 pm

You have to create your own "right times," Sir.

That's the crux of it.

Forget about how other people have "evolved." Because those same people could just as easily "devolve."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 8:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep.....wisdom and compassion often imbue a person, by extension, with charm.

but it takes somebody on a similar wavelength to comprehend this and be charmed by it.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 8:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
"Working on your insides" will, invariably, imbue you with "charm."

Where'd you get the idea that "working on your insides" has nothing to do with added charm and appeal?

You sounds sort of down at the moment.

Yeah, I guess I'm sort of down. Maybe because it's the weekend. Weekends are so boring. There's nothing to do on the weekend.

I guess I could get a hobby or learn another language or learn a skill or take a class or build something but if I commit to something then I'll feel like I have no free time.

I hate free time yet I resent its absence. Maybe I should just get a weekend job. At least then I can pretend that I'm a badass workaholic. Working 7 days per week is less depressing than just sitting around all weekend, right?

Or maybe I could just go back to my old hobby of buying hundreds of video games and never playing any of them :|

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 8:59 pm

^^^at least if you work the weekend extra-job, you'll have more money to invest and eventually richen your retirement years with. :idea:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:01 pm

I'll probably have to work through my retirement as well or else I'll get bored.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:02 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I'll probably have to work through my retirement as well or else I'll get bored.

mebbe get an involved hobby? lotta travel opportunities in your part of the world. have you taken all the trains to the 4 corners of your country?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

mebbe get an involved hobby? lotta travel opportunities in your part of the world. have you taken all the trains to the 4 corners of your country?

Only 3 corners. I've taken the train to Sydney, Melbourne and Alice Springs. It's even more boring than being at home. There are no high speed trains in Australia, only normal speed trains. Remember that between the state capitals we have thousands of miles of desert. How does travelling slowly across thousands of miles of featureless desert sound?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:09 pm

I'm not only depressed by attractive people, I'm also depressed by talented people and by intelligent people and by accomplished people. Sometimes all of these traits exist in the same person. Those people are the highly concentrated fructose corn syrup version of depression.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:17 pm

the thing that saved me from terminal envy, was that my faith tells me that all the worldly goods are strictly on loan from above. the beautiful people are having their day in this world right now, but their day doesn't last forever [just 3 score and 10 or so], and we all go back to a place where indeed the tables may be turned.

Last edited by auntblabby on 16 Feb 2018, 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:17 pm

What makes you not talented, intelligent, and accomplished?

I'm not especially any one of these-----but I try to put what I have to good use.

There are many talented, intelligent, and accomplished people who DON'T put it to good use.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:19 pm

none of us remembers the people beneath us, for whom our lives may seem like a fairy tale.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:23 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the thing that saved me from terminal envy, was that my faith tells me that all the worldly goods are strictly on loan from above. the beautiful people are having their day in this world right now, but their day doesn't last forever [just 3 score and 10 or so], and we all go back to a place where indeed the tables may be turned.

It would be nice to think all the beautiful people will go to Hell but I don't think any part of the Bible says being beautiful is a sin. I guess that means beautiful people have just as much chance of getting into Heaven as you do.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:
none of us remembers the people beneath us, for whom our lives may seem like a fairy tale.

This is probably going to make me sound like a really scummy horrible person but sometimes thinking about those people cheers me up a bit.