Do attractive people depress you?

Page 9 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:
none of us remembers the people beneath us, for whom our lives may seem like a fairy tale.

This is probably going to make me sound like a really scummy horrible person but sometimes thinking about those people cheers me up a bit.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:28 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I'm not only depressed by attractive people, I'm also depressed by talented people and by intelligent people and by accomplished people. Sometimes all of these traits exist in the same person. Those people are the highly concentrated fructose corn syrup version of depression.

Same. I've got literally nothing going for me, not attractive, not intelligent or accomplished, just some ugly worthless piece of crap. There's very few people I can compare myself to and not feel worthless next to, even a lot of the guys here on WP like Sly and Marknis are far better people than me in every way, yet they're far from content.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:29 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
I'm not only depressed by attractive people, I'm also depressed by talented people and by intelligent people and by accomplished people. Sometimes all of these traits exist in the same person. Those people are the highly concentrated fructose corn syrup version of depression.

Same. I've got literally nothing going for me, not attractive, not intelligent or accomplished, just some ugly worthless piece of crap. There's very few people I can compare myself to and not feel worthless next to, even a lot of the guys here on WP like Sly and Marknis are far better people than me in every way, yet they're far from content.

Then tell them. You might cheer them up a bit.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:40 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
the thing that saved me from terminal envy, was that my faith tells me that all the worldly goods are strictly on loan from above. the beautiful people are having their day in this world right now, but their day doesn't last forever [just 3 score and 10 or so], and we all go back to a place where indeed the tables may be turned.

It would be nice to think all the beautiful people will go to Hell but I don't think any part of the Bible says being beautiful is a sin. I guess that means beautiful people have just as much chance of getting into Heaven as you do.

no, it means they will become normal and no longer exceptional. they will lose their exalted place in the grand scheme of things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:44 pm

I went through the Mojave desert once. If the Australian outback/desert is like the Mohave, it's far from "featureless."

The "outback" looks like it could have some nice things in it. Where do the crocs live? In a river, most likely. Around a river frequently are nice things.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Where do the crocs live?

In the tropics.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:49 pm

I would LOVE to take an extended vacation in the southern parts of AUZ, as well as the northern parts in the colder times of year.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I would LOVE to take an extended vacation in the southern parts of AUZ, as well as the northern parts in the colder times of year.

You should probably visit the southern parts of Auz in the colder parts of the year as well since even the southern parts can frequently get over 100 degrees.

I live in the southern part of Australia. Even though Adelaide is further from the equator than Darwin, it's closer to the equator then Las Vegas and I'm sure Las Vegas gets plenty hot.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:57 pm

I've seen Melbourne get pretty darn cool even in January/February. I've seen lows of about 12-13 Celsius or so.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:01 pm

Melbourne heat waves can get nearly as hot as Adelaide heatwaves. The difference is that Melbourne is one of those places that can have four seasons in one day.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:06 pm

My impression is that the 100-degree days are uncommon, and the heatwaves don't last more than a couple of days (at least in the areas nearer the sea).

But they certainly are doozies......45 Celsius doesn't seem to be uncommon, even in Melbourne. We've only been over 40 Celsius a couple of times in New York. In my lifetime, it hasn'tonce risen to 40 Celsius.

I would guess more inland areas stay hot longer.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:07 pm

New York heat waves would be worse because you have more humidity.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:16 pm

That's true....and they usually last longer.

And it rarely gets truly cool in summer, unlike Melbourne. To have a low below 15 Celsius throughout July and August is quite anomalous.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:57 pm

i'm glad I live in a relatively cool place.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 11:26 pm

It's days like this when I think the reason why I can't see the purpose of life is because it's too obvious.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 11:29 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
It's days like this when I think the reason why I can't see the purpose of life is because it's too obvious.

can you tell me then, what is the "obvious" purpose of life in your view?