Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 12:12 pm

Quote:
A recent systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of mindfulness meditation on prosocial behavior found, essentially, that there is no evidence that it works. I find these results entirely unsurprising, and they yet again highlight the need for rigorous research before concluding that a phenomenon is real.

https://theness.com/neurologicablog/ind ... tching-tv/

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 8:10 pm

At least now I can justify my Netflix subscription by sayings it’s therapeutic.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 1:52 pm

When someone mentions mindfulness i feel like punching that person in the face.

-"Oh, just ignore real life problems and imagine that you live in a fantasy world without any problems".

There is another group of people that do the same - Alcoholics. Works fine for them, right?

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 1:21 pm

Ichinin wrote:
When someone mentions mindfulness i feel like punching that person in the face.

-"Oh, just ignore real life problems and imagine that you live in a fantasy world without any problems".

There is another group of people that do the same - Alcoholics. Works fine for them, right?

I used to feel the same way, but mindfulness as I understand it isn’t about escapism. In fact, it’s the precise opposite. The whole point of mindfulness is to learn how to tolerate the present moment to give your mind space to think objectively. It’s not meant to cure anything and you’re not supposed to be mindful all the time. It’s just building an emotional buffer to give you perspective on stuff. It’s also a skill that takes years to develop so if it’s difficult then that’s to be expected.

I do agree that mindfulness is overrated but I don’t think it lacks merit.