Are humans apes? Are dogs wolves? Are birds dinosaurs?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 9:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Birds are not usually dinosaurs, though birds are probably descended from dinosaurs. There were some very bird-like dinosaurs.

Apparently, dinosaurs, at least some of them, had feathers...
And some people call birds "living dinosaurs"...

RainbowUnion wrote:

Yes. No. Yes. No. No.

I take that as a: "Yes. No. Yes. No. No." :mrgreen:

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 9:51 pm

Pepe wrote:

To be exact ...

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 12:12 pm

Reptiles are a huge group. Its been long known that the two closest living cousins of the dinosaurs are the crocs and alligators (on one hand), and the birds (on the other).

But in the last 20 some years some scientists say that dinosaurs are SO closely related to dinosaurs that for practical purpose living birds are a type of dinosaur. In fact living birds can be thought of as "miniaturized dinosaurs highly specialized for flight" in the same way that bats are mammals specialized for flight. Or so fossil scientists say.

Maybe yes. Maybe no.

Dinosaur scientists are the ones who proclaim that. But bird scientists resist the "birds are dinosaurs" bandwagon. But even that's a difference of degree not of kind. Bird scientists still classify birds as being part of one branch of the reptile family tree that includes both dinosaurs, and the crocs/alligators, and admit that birds are as close to dinosaurs as are crocodiles (which is pretty close for any living animal). Siblings to dinosaurs, if not one and the same as dinosaurs.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 1:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Reptiles are a huge group. Its been long known that the two closest living cousins of the dinosaurs are the crocs and alligators (on one hand), and the birds (on the other).

But in the last 20 some years some scientists say that dinosaurs are SO closely related to dinosaurs that for practical purpose living birds are a type of dinosaur. In fact living birds can be thought of as "miniaturized dinosaurs highly specialized for flight" in the same way that bats are mammals specialized for flight. Or so fossil scientists say.

Maybe yes. Maybe no.

Dinosaur scientists are the ones who proclaim that. But bird scientists resist the "birds are dinosaurs" bandwagon. But even that's a difference of degree not of kind. Bird scientists still classify birds as being part of one branch of the reptile family tree that includes both dinosaurs, and the crocs/alligators, and admit that birds are as close to dinosaurs as are crocodiles (which is pretty close for any living animal). Siblings to dinosaurs, if not one and the same as dinosaurs.

Evolved from meat eating dinosaurs such as Velociraptor. There is clear cut evidence for this.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 1:53 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Pepe wrote:

To be exact ...

Thx 4 that...
Cheers... ;)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 4:49 pm

Seconded.

That family tree does indeed lay it out well. Both how the critters are related, and how feathers evolved, and how feather evolution correlates with the how the critters evolved.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 5:15 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
We can't possibly be evolved from apes, they're highly intelligent and (usually) peaceful and gentle. They must have evolved from us. :lol:

Humans are actually far more intelligent than the other apes. We are apes, but we are far more intelligent than the other apes are. That isn't a contradiction.

Notice how octopus are far more intelligent than clams even though they belong to the same phylum. It's entirely possible for animals within the same evolutionary clade to develop very differently in terms of neurological anatomy.

Non-human apes, much like humans, become violent when their children are in danger or when resources are scarce. In other words, we aren't "naturally violent".

I do believe that humans have a natural predatory instinct towards non-human animals, but I don't think that human-on-human violence is natural.

Well kind of sad us humans use our superior intelligence to kill each other in large numbers via weapons of mass destruction and to destroy the environment in the name of profit.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 3:32 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well kind of sad us humans use our superior intelligence to kill each other in large numbers via weapons of mass destruction and to destroy the environment in the name of profit.

<sing>
And so say all of us...
And so say all of us...
For we are jolly sad fellows...
And so say all of us...

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Feb 2018, 3:52 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Dinosaur scientists are the ones who proclaim that. But bird scientists resist the "birds are dinosaurs" bandwagon.

That hasn't been my experience. Admittedly all my ornithology lecturers were young enough to be mistaken for students, but the impression I emerged from university with was that ornithologists consider themselves the real dinosaur scientists.

Dogs are unquestionably wolves. They're the same species.

Humans are apes scientifically. Kraftie is right that in casual conversation they aren't, but that's true for all of these things.

Mammals and birds are not reptiles and tetrapods are not fish. Those are paraphyletic groups. That means scientists only use them reluctantly.

I don't know whether to class apes as monkeys!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 4:42 pm

There are too many differences between monkeys and apes for them to be classified together, in my opinion.

It is obvious, to the casual observer, that monkeys are not apes--and are never referred to as such.

Interestingly, though, in the not-so-distant past, many apes have been called "monkeys' in casual conversation.

Many times, in my experience, all non-human "higher" primates were referred to as "monkeys" by many people up until about the 1970s.

"Monkey" was the default term, in the "common culture" pre-1970, for a human-like, non-human primate.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 5:21 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Dinosaur scientists are the ones who proclaim that. But bird scientists resist the "birds are dinosaurs" bandwagon.

That hasn't been my experience. Admittedly all my ornithology lecturers were young enough to be mistaken for students, but the impression I emerged from university with was that ornithologists consider themselves the real dinosaur scientists.

Dogs are unquestionably wolves. They're the same species.

Humans are apes scientifically. Kraftie is right that in casual conversation they aren't, but that's true for all of these things.

Mammals and birds are not reptiles and tetrapods are not fish. Those are paraphyletic groups. That means scientists only use them reluctantly.

I don't know whether to class apes as monkeys!

That's interesting about bird scientists. Back in the Nineties it was reported in more than one magazine article that dinosaur scientist say "birds are dinosaurs" and the public loves it because we all get off on looking at parakeets (I used to look at chickadees at the bird feeder outside our window and think this) and think "there's a little bit of T-rex in those things". But that bird folks resisted the bandwagon. One particular scientist made recurrent cameos on PBS docs over at least a decade as the naysayer. But that maybe passe' now.

Dargo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2018, 12:44 pm

Can people stop saying one species is classified some way "scientifically" as if it made their opinion absolute fact? There are multiple systems of classification and disagreements about where to put one species or another and most of the scientists suggesting something have scientific reasons. When you have a ton of species that are related it gets hard to draw absolute lines and these classifications exist exclusively to make it easier for us to understand. From a purely objective perspective there is no absolute line between one species and the similar species that came before it and claiming your preferred place to draw the line is "scientifically true" in some objective sense doesn't work. It's like insisting to a Spanish person that they're wrong to call a door a "puerta" because it's scientifically a door.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:51 pm

All wolves are dogs, not all dogs are wolves...I think. Also hyenas are not dogs or wolves, I find that interesting I always figured they were a sort of dog, then again never looked into it but found out on a documentary.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:56 pm

Also for people on the 'humans aren't apes' bandwagon...well we are primates so its either apes or monkeys, monkeys usually have tails, therefore we must be apes.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 3:31 pm

[quote="Sweetleaf"]All wolves are dogs, not all dogs are wolves...I think.quote]

you're talking about the "family" level of classification. The rest of us are talking about the species level.

The domestic dog is a vertebrate (subphylum), of the class mammalia, of the carnivore order, of the dog "family". A family that includes jackals, and foxes. So the domestic dog IS a member of the larger umbrella called "the dog family". But dogs only became a "thing" when some population of wolves started hanging out with our cave man ancestors in the Ice Age a couple of tens of thousands of years ago. So in essence modern domestic dogs are all a domestic subspecies of wolves. So - the answer to that particular question is "yes". Dogs are wolves (are a part of the wolf species). That even though both wolves and dogs are part of the larger "dog" family.

Even scientists thought that hyenas were in the dog family (they hunt in packs like wolves) until the late 20th century when the consensus changed when they realized that hyenas are actually more related to the cat family (both the dog and the cat family are related when you go back far enough).

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 3:59 am

NewTime wrote:
Are humans apes? Are dogs wolves? Are birds dinosaurs? Are tetrapods fish? Are apes monkeys?

Yes, homo sapiens is a primate species which means we're apes.

No, dogs are not wolves. They share 98% DNA, the same amount that we have in common with chimps.

During the time dogs have been domesticated they have changed greatly from wolves in many ways, and the differences between wolves and dogs are very interesting. Anyone interested can read a fascinating article here

https://gizmodo.com/what-happens-to-wol ... 1796458238

These aren't bad either (and Nikai is adorable!)
https://barkpost.com/wolves-dogs-facts/

http://missionwolf.org/page/wolf-dog-difference/

Some say yes, I personally see birds as descended from and not dinosaurs, so I say no.

No, tetrapods are not fish, not even the same order, nor was the common ancestor like the fish we think of today
https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibra ... vograms_04

No, apes don't have tails and they live both in trees and on the ground, while monkeys have tails and primarily live in trees.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765