Page 18 of 20 [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 4:58 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
It’s so weird how you’re so rational and logical yet defend this nonsense as nothing out of the ordinary that people shouldn’t be opinionated about.

Defending it would be saying I think it's a great idea. I'm just saying I don't think it's a big deal. I think people are over reacting to it.

It and other situations like it remind me of the old Twilight Zone episode called "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street" where people go nuts over nothing.

But it wasn't over nothing. Aliens were manipulating the residents of Maple Street in order to rouse them to a point of paranoia. Sort of like talk about the danger posed by brown immigrants from Latin America and the Middle East.

When I saw it my first thought was all the Trump riots and people over reacting so much since then. It's like aliens put trump in office to make some people go completely batshit. Thankfully the entire country isn't affected by it. And those who aren't are either scratching their heads over it or laughing at it while eating popcorn.

Aliens did put Trump into power, if you use the word "alien" to mean foreigner. In this case, Russians, and they've been setting Americans against Americans with their bots and hackers spreading internal dissension.

If that's the case then they are certainly getting their money's worth so to speak. One would think if a party thought or knew they were being manipulated into acting bonkers, they wouldn't keep going along with it.

If?

https://secondnexus.com/news/intelligen ... -meddling/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 5:08 am

goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
It’s so weird how you’re so rational and logical yet defend this nonsense as nothing out of the ordinary that people shouldn’t be opinionated about.

Defending it would be saying I think it's a great idea. I'm just saying I don't think it's a big deal. I think people are over reacting to it.

It and other situations like it remind me of the old Twilight Zone episode called "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street" where people go nuts over nothing.

But it wasn't over nothing. Aliens were manipulating the residents of Maple Street in order to rouse them to a point of paranoia. Sort of like talk about the danger posed by brown immigrants from Latin America and the Middle East.

When I saw it my first thought was all the Trump riots and people over reacting so much since then. It's like aliens put trump in office to make some people go completely batshit. Thankfully the entire country isn't affected by it. And those who aren't are either scratching their heads over it or laughing at it while eating popcorn.

Aliens did put Trump into power, if you use the word "alien" to mean foreigner. In this case, Russians, and they've been setting Americans against Americans with their bots and hackers spreading internal dissension.

If that's the case then they are certainly getting their money's worth so to speak. One would think if a party thought or knew they were being manipulated into acting bonkers, they wouldn't keep going along with it.

If?

https://secondnexus.com/news/intelligen ... -meddling/

I've never heard of second nexus news. But when I looked it up the first hits had the words crediblity, fact check, fake and snopes.

Nevertheless removing the word "if" doesn't change my statement any.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 3:03 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

But that's the point; people don't realize a foreign power is manipulating them. The Russians are so skilled in espionage that they usually can get away with posing as American crackpots.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 5:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

But that's the point; people don't realize a foreign power is manipulating them. The Russians are so skilled in espionage that they usually can get away with posing as American crackpots.

Ding ding ding. It'd almost be preferable that American corporations are back to being the ones in control of the US government.. instead there's a foreign superpower pulling strings as they see fit.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 6:57 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

So every time people go bonkers over something like a parade, it's really the russians. I guess they're in control of the Washington Post et al and late night tv as well.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 12:28 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

So every time people go bonkers over something like a parade, it's really the russians. I guess they're in control of the Washington Post et al and late night tv as well.

No, just lunacy about brown people and immigrants plotting to destroy white America, or how there was really something to Benghazi, despite all the millions of dollars wasted in an investigation that found nothing, or how Clinton's emails were worthy of the death penalty, or how the Clintons and Lady Gaga ran a pedophile cannibal cult, etc. You know, stuff that can't possibly be true, but which Trump and his supporters had gotten behind.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 1:09 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
No, just lunacy about brown people and immigrants plotting to destroy white America, or how there was really something to Benghazi, despite all the millions of dollars wasted in an investigation that found nothing, or how Clinton's emails were worthy of the death penalty, or how the Clintons and Lady Gaga ran a pedophile cannibal cult, etc. You know, stuff that can't possibly be true, but which Trump and his supporters had gotten behind.

Trump's twitter support for lunatic conspiracy theories should (in theory) be enough to remove him on the basis he is not of sound mind
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... rump-pence

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 1:52 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Trump's twitter support for lunatic conspiracy theories should (in theory) be enough to remove him on the basis he is not of sound mind
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... rump-pence

It certainly could be used as an argument for removal from office.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 2:25 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I hear 10 times more about "brown people" from the left than from the right. I bet if you called my Dominican cousin and her family "brown people" she wouldn't like it. The rest is silly nonsense only frenge kooks would take seriously.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 4:19 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I hear 10 times more about "brown people" from the left than from the right. I bet if you called my Dominican cousin and her family "brown people" she wouldn't like it. The rest is silly nonsense only frenge kooks would take seriously.

More and more, those fringe kooks are getting more access to the political right. In Illinois, a NAZI is running for the state legislature... as a Republican. Trump used spurious videos and memes originating with white nationalists, and spoke well of the Nazis and Alt Right marching in Charlottesville. Sure, many rank-and-file Republicans still have a sense of right and wrong, but more and more their leadership is getting in bed with the Alt Right for the sake of getting votes.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 4:43 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
More and more, those fringe kooks are getting more access to the political right. In Illinois, a NAZI is running for the state legislature... as a Republican. Trump used spurious videos and memes originating with white nationalists, and spoke well of the Nazis and Alt Right marching in Charlottesville. Sure, many rank-and-file Republicans still have a sense of right and wrong, but more and more their leadership is getting in bed with the Alt Right for the sake of getting votes.

Trump and his followers will respond to this accusation with a simple retort. "It's fake news"

People were already sceptical of the media and Trump knows it. It's easy therefore to spin the claim and the public (apparently) are lapping it up...Trump's current approval rating is 37% (the die hard supporters) but closer to the next election he will ramp up the circus and win back the 10% swinging voters who don't trust Trump but don't give a crap about civil rights or responsible government...it's likely history will repeat itself

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 5:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

I think it all has more to do with inflating a situation and making it look much bigger and prolific than it really is. Again as a political propaganda weapon rather than as something actually constructive. Lots of sensationalism. Which I'm sure the fringe absolutely loves.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 5:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Trump and his followers will respond to this accusation with a simple retort. "It's fake news"

People were already sceptical of the media and Trump knows it. It's easy therefore to spin the claim and the public (apparently) are lapping it up...Trump's current approval rating is 37% (the die hard supporters) but closer to the next election he will ramp up the circus and win back the 10% swinging voters who don't trust Trump but don't give a crap about civil rights or responsible government...it's likely history will repeat itself

The news is real, but the way certain media is handling it is dubious. The idea being that the republicans have nazis running for office, rather than it being one kook putting himself on a ballot.

As for approval ratings, "Weekly results are based on telephone interviews with approximately 1,500 national adults."
http://news.gallup.com/poll/203207/trum ... edium=copy

They're talking about popularity by state and 1500 ÷ 50 = 30 people per state polled. So you might not want to put too much hope and faith into that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:18 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I think it all has more to do with inflating a situation and making it look much bigger and prolific than it really is. Again as a political propaganda weapon rather than as something actually constructive. Lots of sensationalism. Which I'm sure the fringe absolutely loves.

I just took the family to see Black Panther. In the days leading up to the movie's release, the Rotten Tomatoes movie site had gotten wind of a racist plot by hundreds of Alt Right types who had planned to sink this movie with a barrage of terrible reviews, one of them in fact saying, "Minorities should stay minorities." Rotten Tomatoes banned them all from their site, as did others. So no, it's not inflated. And the simple fact of the matter is, the racist right is only emerging boldly out from under their rocks because they've been emboldened by the Trump administration.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:53 pm

Not surprised the pricks in the alt-right would claim emasculation over Black Panther

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 12:05 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I just took the family to see Black Panther. In the days leading up to the movie's release, the Rotten Tomatoes movie site had gotten wind of a racist plot by who had planned to sink this movie with a barrage of terrible reviews, one of them in fact saying, "Minorities should stay minorities." Rotten Tomatoes banned them all from their site, as did others. So no, it's not inflated. And the simple fact of the matter is, the racist right is only emerging boldly out from under their rocks because they've been emboldened by the Trump administration.

According to what I read, after reading your statement, this was some small (now removed) facebook group called "Down With Disney’s Treatment Of Franchises And Its Fanboys" (sounds like trolls) who were trying to entice people to flood rotten tomatoes with bad reviews. Perfect example of inflating.

This is what it's really all about; convince as many people as possible that there's a huge alt right racist thing going on as a result of Trump. This is just being done to try keeping Trump from being reelected.