Page 1 of 20 [ 315 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 12:14 pm

Trump tells Pentagon 'to top' France military parade

Quote:
US President Donald Trump has asked the Pentagon to organise a large military parade in the nation's capital.

The president made the request of top military chiefs in late January, after reportedly being impressed by a French Bastille Day parade last year.

"It was one of the greatest parades I've ever seen," he later said. "We're going to have to try and top it."

Democrats compared the plan to displays of military might organised by autocratic nations.

The plan was first revealed by the Washington Post, before being confirmed by the White House press secretary, Sarah Sanders.

"President Trump is incredibly supportive of America's great service members who risk their lives every day to keep our country safe," she said.

"He has asked the Department of Defense to explore a celebration at which all Americans can show their appreciation."

Military displays in Washington DC are usually only used to mark victory at the end of a war.

The Pentagon is now looking at the details of the event, though one White House official told the Washington Post plans were still at a "brainstorming" stage.

Commentators say a US parade would be extremely expensive, given the cost of bringing military hardware and personnel to the capital and protecting its streets from tanks designed for war zones.

Democratic politicians have criticised the expense and said such ideas carry worrying symbolism.

"What an absurd waste of money!" tweeted Representative Jim McGovern. "Trump acts more like dictator than president. Americans deserve better."

Representative Jackie Speier, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, told CNN: "I was stunned by it, to be quite honest... we have a Napoleon in the making here."

Several retired military personnel have also condemned the plan, saying the money would be better served improving conditions for veterans or raising military wages.

Speaking to CNN, Lt Gen Mark Hertling said: "I don't know a whole lot of soldiers who like them [parades]."

"The military will do whatever the commander in chief asks them to do - but it's not a good idea for our military."

Large-scale military parades are seen by many as a relic of a bygone era and the Cold War, but they remain a common occurrence in many states - Communist and former Soviet nations and beyond.

North Korea is probably the best-known for its spectacular displays - with an enormous show to take place on Thursday.

Mr Trump also enjoyed a display of military might during his visit to China last November. Russia enjoys showing off its latest military hardware at its frequent parades.

But they are regular in other countries - Venezuela, Iran and Brazil all enjoy putting on a spectacle.

In France, the annual Bastille Day parade, which was beefed up after the November 2015 terror attacks, harks back to France's militaristic past. An extravagant show in Saudi Arabia last year also reflected security concerns ahead of the annual Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca.

Like North Korea, Thai forces parade on armed forces day and countries such as Australia and Sri Lanka use military parades as part of national day celebrations.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 3:11 pm

How about helping the 22 service members who commit suicide daily? :evil: Or housing homeless veterans? :evil:

More government waste to prop up shame-based ego.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 3:32 pm

Following same the pattern of traits as Putin and Kim.."enuff" said..

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 4:52 pm

I don't think that military parades are inherently bad. Sweden has military parades and it still manages to be peaceful country.

The real irony here is that Trump a draft-dodging chickenhawk.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 5:31 pm

Tanks.

But no tanks.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 8:37 pm

The best part is this is what he will be wearing for the parade, while riding in a gold plated jeep limousine.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 10:30 pm

Retired Major General Paul Eaton, now an adviser to VoteVets.org, has released a brief opinion statement through that organization.

Link: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVZH-5ZU0AAX1PK.jpg

Link to same posting on Twitter: https://twitter.com/votevets/status/961 ... 40/photo/1

It's remarkable. If I simply quoted it here, my veracity would be challenged.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 10:40 pm

how much further will we sink as a nation?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 3:31 am

EzraS wrote:
The best part is this is what he will be wearing for the parade, while riding in a gold plated jeep limousine.

"STRONG MAN" Donald Trump

Oh, WIKI already has him listed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strongman_(politics)

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 4:12 am

reminds me of gaddafi.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 4:42 am

Except Gaddafi was better looking...otherwise ticks the boxes

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 5:14 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

"STRONG MAN" Donald Trump

Oh, WIKI already has him listed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strongman_(politics)

Interesting list.

Political figures referred to as strongmen:

United Kingdom: David Lloyd George
United Kingdom: Winston Churchill
United Kingdom: David Cameron
United States: Andrew Jackson
United States: Abraham Lincoln
United States: Theodore Roosevelt
United States: Franklin D. Roosevelt
United States: Donald Trump

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 5:36 am

thatcher should be on that list.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 5:42 am

Yes. And make it PC the term should be changed to stongperson.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 6:19 am

EzraS wrote:

Nailed it, EzraS.
I think his hat should be a bit bigger though.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame