Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 2:49 am

Song “Indian Giver” by the 1910 Fruitgum Company reached number 5 on the charts in 1968
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A1he-7GYku8
Indian Giver was a commonly used pejoritive when I was growing up that meant a person who gave people something then wanted it back. A child that was wild was often descibed as “Little Indian” back then.

Speaking of native americans the song and especally the video for this 1973 Cher hit “Half Breed” would be banned for cultural appropration and racism if it came out today.
https://youtu.be/Z6E98ZRaU1s
That is too bad as I and many here can relate to the theme of this song. In the song the protaganist is half native american but hated by both whites and Indians. How many of us are functioning enough that people doubt we are autistic and different enough that they think we are weird or creepy?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:36 pm

The other day I saw an old ad from 1951 on Ebay for some kind of quack weight-gain substance mostly aimed at overly thin women. It used lots of body-shaming, only it was about girls being skinny instead of fat, calling them things like "scarecrow" and saying no man would ever date them unless they took this weight gain product, and then magically they'd go from looking like a broomstick to having a perfect shapely hourglass figure. The stuff was for guys, too - they showed a small picture of a cartoon man looking like he'd been stretched on a rack while at the beach and a woman sneers to her girlfriend "I would never date that scarecrow!"

Just wow. :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 2:29 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCKxWQCs3f0

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 10:35 pm

I don't really like "sexism" because men should be allowed to be attracted to women. I don't like the shift in general.

I object to how we aren't allowed to show these type of commercials nowadays. If anything, I'd rather go back to the values we had in the "old days" than today's social values.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 11:01 pm

Fly me?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 11:37 pm

mods: just get rid of this immediately if it is too ribald for the site. i will understand. i can not determine whether this is a step too far.
anyway, this was a comedian in the 1980's and 1990's in australia who used to do pub gigs.

he was arrested for obscenities and offensive statements a few times, and he was eventually banned from any coverage on mainstream media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mNsiAS352I

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 10:05 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Fly me?

Take me, I'm yours!

So the description of your video says the air hostesses would greet you with "I'm *name*, fly me!" So would people respond with "take me, I'm yours!" ?

Sidenote, now I know where that line from Timesplitters came from. "I'm Anna! Fly me!"

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 10:10 am

Oh, this is too perfect. I just got an ad before a video from the Advertising Standards Agency! :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 10:36 am

Never saw that ad before. That "take me I'm yours" lady is both funny ha-ha, and funny strange. But no, that would not be how passengers would respond to my commercial.

And its funny that you said that, because there WERE real life consequences to my "fly me" ad campaign. It actually DID cause male passengers to say things to flight attendants like "I would sure like to FLY you! babe!". The campaign caused a backlash among flight attendants who demonstrated in public against it, and got the ads squashed.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 10:41 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Never saw that ad before. That "take me I'm yours" lady is both funny ha-ha, and funny strange. But no, that would not be how passengers would respond to my commercial.

And its funny that you said that, because there WERE real life consequences to my "fly me" ad campaign. It actually DID cause male passengers to say things to flight attendants like "I would sure like to FLY you! babe!". The campaign caused a backlash among flight attendants who demonstrated in public against it, and got the ads squashed.

Interesting.

I think the woman in the take me I'm yours ad looks uncomfortable after she has said take me I'm yours.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 10:54 am

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
...What do you think about politically incorrect values...?

They are allowed under the laws of most nations which considers free speech more important than censorship regardless of any ability to censor.

That said, I have nothing to gain or lose in the matter. I do enjoy seeing how entangled the protagonists and antagonists become.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
"Come Fly With Me" Pan Am Stewardesses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gZwqTaLB4Y

Standing On The Corner song by the Four Lads 1956
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PoWMIWn7E

Watch Out For Homosexuals-50s Public Information Film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otXIaIxkWTI

I just watched that Watch Out For Homosexuals public service film from the 1950's. I couldn't stop laughing at the sheer ignorance and idiocy of it all. People in those days didn't see a difference between gays and pedophiles, which explains the prejudices still common among older people today.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 8:07 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:
...What do you think about politically incorrect values...?

They are allowed under the laws of most nations which considers free speech more important than censorship regardless of any ability to censor.

That said, I have nothing to gain or lose in the matter. I do enjoy seeing how entangled the protagonists and antagonists become.

Personally, I think this sort of censorship is silly...
Most people know the difference between the made-up TV world and the real one...

People watch a plethora of violent movies...
(Often it allows for catharsis, and nothing more...)
That doesn't mean they are going to go rogue Rambo...

TV series such as "Boston Legal" was a great source of catharsis against the politically correct bully on the block...
It allowed a degree of psychological/emotional release against the political correctness straight jacket that is becoming tighter and tighter due to left-wing dominance in society and particularly through the indoctrination of society's children who aren't in a position to properly think for themselves because their logical brain, the neocortex, hasn't been fully developed...

But what the heck...
Society gets what it deserves "when good men do nothing..."

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
― Edmund Burke