Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 1:44 pm

A while ago, while watching videos on YouTube, I came across a video that showed commercials that would be considered politically incorrect nowadays. It was quite intriguing watching the video, looking at the differences in our values, and seeing how much things have changed since then. Here is the video if you want to see it:

What do you think about politically incorrect values?

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on February 7, 2018)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 1:48 pm

I grew up with many of these commercials.

There was a very politically-incorrect version of "Dick Tracy" which aired in the 1960s-1970s. Within it, there was a stereotypical Japanese character who said "Sayonara" right before the closing credits of a particular episode began.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 2:18 pm

Milwaukee's Light beer can falls on a man's head when he acts too "effeminate".

Announcer says ... "Men should act like Men".

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 6:15 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
A while ago, while watching videos on YouTube, I came across a video that showed commercials that would be considered politically incorrect nowadays. It was quite intriguing watching the video, looking at the differences in our values, and seeing how much things have changed since then.

Yes, back in the old days they went where no *MAN* is willing to go today...

I have to laugh at the intro to the original Star Trek:
"To boldly go where no man has gone before..."
In Star Trek, the next generation, it changed to: "Where no one has gone before..."

Was the former implicitly sexist?
Not necessarily...
It was overwhelmingly a zeitgeist, imo...
Children grew up and were indoctrinated/imprinted with no inherent malice in this instance at least, imo...
Innocent mistakes like this have largely been fixed these days...

I read somewhere where a woman was offended by being referred to as "a lady"...WTF?
Being an old fart this was simply a sign of respect...
What do you say these days?
Hey, you?...

A component in the political correctness absurdity which seems to be ignored to a very large extent is intention...<sigh>
Some people just want to be social bullies and keep their heel on the throat of others, to feed their lust for personal power...
Is it politically incorrect to point that out? 8O

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 7:20 pm

Can't recall any very specific ones at the moment....but I do recall most cleaning commercials only showed women cleaning, aside from the Mr. Clean ones that had the Mr. Clean cartoon guy if I recall.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 10:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I grew up with many of these commercials.

There was a very politically-incorrect version of "Dick Tracy" which aired in the 1960s-1970s. Within it, there was a stereotypical Japanese character who said "Sayonara" right before the closing credits of a particular episode began.

And I remember a cultural joke that I can't/won't defend calling asian males "Ching Chong Charlies..."
Ouch!... 8O

<sing>
"Those were the days my friend...
We thought they'd never end...
We'd sing and dance forever and a day...
We'd live the life we choose...
We'd fight and never lose...
For we were young and sure to have our way...
La la la la...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 12:20 am

well recently there was a humdinger from south africa.
it was a magazine ad for a T-shirt (god knows what they call them in the states).

the slogan on the t-shirt said "the coolest little monkey in the jungle", and it was shown being worn by a little black girl.

this was a recent ad on australian TV (bad sound and many americans will not understand what he is saying)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dqsyXPkG3I

here is a great example from the late 1950's
it may not have been such a bad ad if they said "pedophile" or "hebephile", but they use the word "homosexual" and equate it with pedophilia.
the first bad man looks so sinister. almost like jack nicholson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijbovskICjk

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 1:57 am

b9 wrote:
it was a magazine ad for a T-shirt (god knows what they call them in the states).

the slogan on the t-shirt said "the coolest little monkey in the jungle", and it was shown being worn by a little black girl.

this was a recent ad on australian TV (bad sound and many americans will not understand what he is saying)

it may not have been such a bad ad if they said "pedophile" or "hebephile", but they use the word "homosexual" and equate it with pedophilia.

Interesting thing is the parent of that little girl wearing the monkey t-shirt in that advert, didn't see anything wrong with it as far as I know. The advert wasn't about calling anyone a monkey it was a line of long sleeved shirts with pictures and phrases related to animals...and they showed a black kid wearing that one. So it bothers me people get all outraged about it when the mom and child in question did not see it in an offensive light at all. Almost seems like white peoples offense over the whole thing is more important to people than the fact the black people involved in the advert were not offended. Like no one wants to listen to the kids mom about why this shouldn't be seen as offensive, a bunch of white people just want to act offended over it because they think it should be offensive. But they don't even bother to ask the supposed 'offended' party they are arguing on behalf of how they feel.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 2:47 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
b9 wrote:

Interesting thing is the parent of that little girl wearing the monkey t-shirt in that advert, didn't see anything wrong with it as far as I know. The advert wasn't about calling anyone a monkey it was a line of long sleeved shirts with pictures and phrases related to animals...and they showed a black kid wearing that one. So it bothers me people get all outraged about it when the mom and child in question did not see it in an offensive light at all. Almost seems like white peoples offense over the whole thing is more important to people than the fact the black people involved in the advert were not offended. Like no one wants to listen to the kids mom about why this shouldn't be seen as offensive, a bunch of white people just want to act offended over it because they think it should be offensive. But they don't even bother to ask the supposed 'offended' party they are arguing on behalf of how they feel.

that is indeed the nature of the "perpetually offended" people these days.
they have nothing else to devote themselves to and feel nice about themselves unless they glean some insult they can pounce upon and incur another day of twitter conversation.

the little girl looked happy and there was so sinister intent at all.
it is actually an indictment on those that got offended, that they equated the little girl with a monkey in their own minds and got offended on her behalf.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 9:59 am

this is a classic cartoon from the 1940's.
it just sends me into hysterics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh5ypU2Ykto

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 10:06 am

In the 1940s, they still had cartoons like "Little Black Sambo."

If you take a look, you'll see what I mean.

"Amos 'n Andy" depicted black stereotypes, yes. But it also depicted black people succeeding despite the odds. I wouldn't put "Amos 'n Andy in the same category as a minstrel show.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 2:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the 1940s, they still had cartoons like "Little Black Sambo."

If you take a look, you'll see what I mean.

"Amos 'n Andy" depicted black stereotypes, yes. But it also depicted black people succeeding despite the odds. I wouldn't put "Amos 'n Andy in the same category as a minstrel show.

Quote:
Bert Newton calls Muhammad Ali 'boy' in famous faux pas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CaESHKJni0
Completely innocent...
Simply a cultural misunderstanding...
Hillarious tho... :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 6:14 pm

"Come Fly With Me" Pan Am Stewardesses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gZwqTaLB4Y

Standing On The Corner song by the Four Lads 1956
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PoWMIWn7E

Watch Out For Homosexuals-50s Public Information Film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otXIaIxkWTI

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 10:04 pm

There was an ad in the 70's for Razamataz
pantyhose which would certainly be Politically Incorrect these days, it had Workmen whistling at woman walking past and the song "Oho Razamataz oho.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 1:08 am

My mother told me she saw a commercial during the Superbowl where some woman is struggling to fit into a very tight girdle and it isn't until the end that it says "Just because some things are hard doesn't mean your toilet paper has to be". My mom then started going on about how she had no clue what they were selling until the very end, that toilet aper has nothing to do than putting on a girdle and is something both men and women can use, but girdles or not so it's sexist and they showed this ad or a variation with a woman in a bikini or something every five minutes.

Seriously, nearly all commercials today are just incredibly stupid and annoying, which is worse than politically incorrect, but Superbowl ads are just beyond that.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 1:23 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
My mother told me she saw a commercial during the Superbowl where some woman is struggling to fit into a very tight girdle and it isn't until the end that it says "Just because some things are hard doesn't mean your toilet paper has to be". My mom then started going on about how she had no clue what they were selling until the very end, that toilet aper has nothing to do than putting on a girdle and is something both men and women can use, but girdles or not so it's sexist and they showed this ad or a variation with a woman in a bikini or something every five minutes.

Seriously, nearly all commercials today are just incredibly stupid and annoying, which is worse than politically incorrect, but Superbowl ads are just beyond that.

Sex sells...
Drape a beautiful woman over a motor cycle and you have the perfect vehicle for selling chiko rolls... :mrgreen:Image

http://www.gold1043.com.au/entertainmen ... is-amazing