Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 4:16 pm

Do african people with very dark skin and black/brown eyes have better eyesight than white europeans with fair skin and or lighter eyes such as blue, green, grey and hazel?

I do know that african people can stay in the sun a lot longer wuthout problems.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 4:41 pm

a) Define better. (Sharper, greater contrast range, better at spotting rapid motion, etc are some examples of parameters, but there's no reason to assume they'd all become 'better' by the same mechanism)
b) Melanin isn't conclusively tied to eyesight. If you search you'll find a lot of pseudo-science blogs but not much in the way of studies or even their abstracts.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 5:44 pm

Many Africans wear glasses, There's your answer.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 12:51 am

I known an African who had the most beautiful blue eyes one could imagine, he was white and probably not what you meant by African... Also, black people can get sunburned and some have very bad vision. I don’t think any of this has to do with race, vision or the length of time someone can stay in the sun.

Besides, Asians have dark eyes.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 8:19 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Do african people with very dark skin and black/brown eyes have better eyesight than white europeans with fair skin and or lighter eyes such as blue, green, grey and hazel?

I do know that african people can stay in the sun a lot longer wuthout problems.

Don't see the logic of your question.

The light passes through your pupil. Not through your iris. Doesn't matter what color the iris is. Its doesn't effect light going into your pupil.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2018, 6:24 pm

Jamesy wrote:

I think they do, unless they've got a pigmentation disorder, but with my fair skin and hazel eyes, I probably would need a much bigger parasol to answer the question fully.

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2018, 8:06 am

I'm guessing you mean West Africa

And like any continent of people, it is very diverse. There are some 'tribes' or 'villages' that do long distance hunting that are said to have better eyesight but that's generations of training and I do believe such people can still have issues with sight

But these people are few and far between by the way