Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MHaruspex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2018, 5:51 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if this is a better fit to this subforum or the school one, but: it's been close to a decade since I've gotten out of high school, and since then I've enrolled into and dropped out of college a number of times, tried a vocational school, but generally have just been working menial jobs in things like food service or the simpler side of computer repair - and, I would argue, wasting my potential in addition to making me unhappy. At this point in life I've grown somewhat more ambitious and would like to get back to school and make a decent income, and was hoping for some career advice.

Most of my free time is spent playing strategy games, or researching and rambling about their minutia, and it struck me some weeks back that I should look for a career in which I'd get to do something similar. As a kid I'd fantasize about being a general and planning military maneuver, though even barring health issues I really don't think that's the path for me. More realistic choices would seem to include an education in economics/business and then a job in planning business strategy or perhaps logistics, but another strong alternative would seem to be engineering for largely the same reason - an opportunity to research and plan. I'd also have a very strong preference towards working with relatively low supervision.

Does any of this seem realistic at all? If anybody has had a similar experience and ended up finding a career they enjoyed, I'd love to hear about it. Are there other careers involving that skillset that come to mind that I should consider researching before heading back to school in a few months? I recognize it's hard to give suggestions with only the small sample of personality I could communicate via a few paragraphs, but just about the only guidance on this I've gotten through my life has been something along the lines of, "Just go into programming because it pays well; it doesn't matter if you enjoy your job," so I'd appreciate just about any sort of advice.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 6:01 pm

Quote:
I'd also have a very strong preference towards working with relatively low supervision.
:D

I think that's a really good idea, to look for a career that uses the skills you have and more importantly enjoy useing.

And Welcome to Wrong Planet. :pig:

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 7:29 pm

Have you taken career aptitude tests? There are free ones on line. I would think college counselors would have others. The tests might open up special interests you didn't think of.

MHaruspex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2018, 7:45 pm

fluffysaurus, thank you for the welcome!
Mudboy, thanks, I wasn't aware these existed as stand-alone things rather than attached to personality tests. Indeed it helped; I'm reading up on professional astronomy now.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 8:49 am

I am going to throw out some ideas for potential jobs... Some of these may resonate and some may not, as you mentioned there's only a little bit of information to go on. I have ranked them from what I think fits what you said most to what might be least. These are all jobs that fit within my own expertise, I suggest them because I can relate and have built a successful career by having skillets that fit into these buckets.

Process Improvement Analyst / SME
Project Manager
Process Designer
Business Analyst (technology) / Agile Product Owner
Data Analyst
Financial Analyst
Quality Assurance Technician or Engineer
Something in marketing

Anyway... good luck! I hope you find the career of your dream.