Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

davesalyers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2018, 8:17 pm

I'm in the unique position of being an Aspie dad with two Aspie kids (young adults) in college who like to spend time with their parents. So we have many game nights. Our current favorites are Catan, Carcassonne, Munchkin Cthulhu (yes, I know these are "oldies".) Since I do not think I am going to get them to like real classics like contract bridge, chess, or hex and chit wargames (I used to play D&D back before there was AD&D, and MTG when it first came out, but my first love was Avalon Hill, 3M, and SSI games), what other board or card games would you recommend? They tend to prefer the Euro game style of really easy to understand rules with strategy. We are going to try Risk Godstorm this weekend. I was thinking of Ticket to Ride or Puerto Rico in the future.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 6:28 pm

Ticket to ride should be right up your alley then. It's a lot of fun!

Maybe any of these?

- Epic Roll/ Epic Roll Eclipse

- Dungeon Raiders

- Dungeons of Masmorra

- Lost expeditions

- Treasure Lair

- Tobago

- Trappex/ Pathagon/ Eternas/ Quadefy (these games are somewhat hard to get hold of though)

edit to add:

I'd also recommend Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, Sub-Terra, and Plague Inc

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 10:05 pm

Pit is probably my favorite card game, but it's not for everyone. It can get pretty hectic and crazy depending on who you play it with.

I also like Uno, Skipbo, and just about any old playing card games (BS, hearts, euchre, cribbage, war, poker, old maid, etc).

Shame you couldn't get them into D&D. If you don't have the books anymore, you can get PDFs of the original LBBs at DriveThruRPG for fairly cheap, print them out, and staple them into booklets. They have Chainmail, too. I'd much rather roll dice than draw chits, though :)

davesalyers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2018, 12:55 am

We got our tax return so I helped out the local game store's economy. I picked up Dragonfire DBG (D&D meets deckbuilding game) with Dragonspear Castle and a couple of extra adventure packs, Formula D and two additional track sets (I'm a huge motorsports fan), Catan: Settlers of America (my wife wanted this... seems to have some Ticket to Ride mixed in with the Catan action), a couple more Munchkin sets (regular fantasy and Western themed), and the Evolution core game with the Climate conversion expansion. Store owner likes us.

I have not played Pit yet, but I love Rook, Uno (Crazy Eights), and Skipbo (Spite and Malice). I love all of those classic games - Euchre, cribbage, 42 dominoes, et al. I was thinking of getting the Tiles Chess game by Steve Jackson games which seemed like Chess meets Hive.

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 6:56 pm

A few suggestions:

Takenoko - A euro-style board game where you're in control of a cute panda and gardener. Better gateway game than Catan, IMO.

Isle of Skye - If you like Carcassonne, this is a meatier version, with tile bidding and a clever catch-up mechanism, so newcomers don't fall too far behind.

Stuffed Fables - A recently released game that's supposed to be great for families.

eeVenye
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2018, 2:12 pm

Ahh SI time!

Ticket you will probably find a bit light

Current top 10, in no particular order: Galaxy Trucker, Roll for the Galaxy, Lords of Waterdeep (D&D themed worker placement), Iron Dragon (viva crayon rails!), Codenames, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Core Worlds (staged deck-builder), Captain Sonar (real-time, team-based sub warfare), Keep Talking and Noone Explodes (video/book game), and Manhattan Project.

davesalyers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2018, 9:11 pm

Those are excellent selections! Thanks! We have found that we prefer Catan: Settlers of Catan to the original Catan as there is a little too much chance involved in the original game so we have been homebrewing our own rules. We picked up Betrayal at House on the Hill. I am also looking forward to teaching Koi Koi (the game played with Hanafuda cards) to my wife and kids.