Page 11 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
my impression of the aspie meetup was like it was a bit like trying to herd cats.

I had joined an Aspie group here in Spokane, and ended up getting kicked out. Not that it matters, as the group rapidly shrunk to meetings between two or three people at most, and those others tended to be either interested in just reopening old wounds, and were probably certifiably insane. I'm not joking about that "insane" part.

I am curious as to why they kicked you out :o

Well, as far as I can figure, it's concerning one of a couple things.
The first matter was about one of my very best friends, Brad, who is also my daughter's godfather. The leader of the group is romantically involved with another person who out of the blue had made rape allegations against my friend, Brad. Now, my friend knows this person making the allegations through his social activism in the LGBT community, and a few years ago, they had in fact been romantically involved. This person has made the exact same allegation against her father, and against just about every person formerly sexually involved with. Needless to say, I defended Brad, saying he was the last person to do something contemptible like rape. I'm sure that didn't win me any points.
The second matter has to do with my imitation of Truman Capote, who spoke with a very effeminate lisp, while recounting the feud between him and William Burroughs (who I also imitated, due to his equally unusual, but butch voice - both writers were gay, by the way). Well, I imagine the group leader might have decided I was a homophobe for this. For the record, I am not. As Capote was despised by his fellow writers, including gay men like Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg, and Gore Vidal, I'm pretty certain they each had probably imitated him, too.
But it seems I'll never know, as I had sent a message to the group leader, asking why, but never got a response. Incidentally, the group leader and another member are both WP members, so I don't want to unveil their identities and cause more problems. But the fact of the matter is, the only thing I had in common with any of those people was that we were each on the autistic spectrum, and not much more. I actually have far more in common with the members of a writers group that my friend Brad and I belong to.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:53 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
...But the fact of the matter is, the only thing I had in common with any of those people was that we were each on the autistic spectrum, and not much more. I actually have far more in common with the members of a writers group that my friend Brad and I belong to.

gee, that sounds like group politics spoiled everything. I didn't have much in common with my group other than being on the spectrum. everybody else had their nose buried in their devices, and I never had any devices to begin with, so I just sat there more often than not like a fool on a stool with nothing to do or anybody to talk to.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
my impression of the aspie meetup was like it was a bit like trying to herd cats.

I had joined an Aspie group here in Spokane, and ended up getting kicked out. Not that it matters, as the group rapidly shrunk to meetings between two or three people at most, and those others tended to be either interested in just reopening old wounds, and were probably certifiably insane. I'm not joking about that "insane" part.

Sounds like Kraichgauer was the only one who was sane so they kicked him out

it was ugly group politics.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:58 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
...But the fact of the matter is, the only thing I had in common with any of those people was that we were each on the autistic spectrum, and not much more. I actually have far more in common with the members of a writers group that my friend Brad and I belong to.

gee, that sounds like group politics spoiled everything. I didn't have much in common with my group other than being on the spectrum. everybody else had their nose buried in their devices, and I never had any devices to begin with, so I just sat there more often than not like a fool on a stool with nothing to do or anybody to talk to.

Unfortunately, being autistic alone doesn't bind people together.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Sounds like Kraichgauer was the only one who was sane so they kicked him out

Thanks for the vote of confidence concerning my mental state. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 3:16 am

its ok, I have had zero luck with Aspie groups in Melbourne

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 3:18 am

I guess herding cats is the same the world over. :cat:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 1:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
its ok, I have had zero luck with Aspie groups in Melbourne

When you get down to it, you have a group of diverse people who only have high functioning autism in common. Other than some specific chronic problems, there really isn't much to talk about. It's hardly something like Alcoholics Anonymous, where the point is to overcome destructive behavior, since no one is claiming they can get rid of their autism... I don't think. And like Blabby said, even Aspies can let group politics get involved when there shouldn't be any.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 6:43 pm

^^^as I've so noticed on WP :pale:

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 1:20 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Indeed. I've actually been a part of an Aspergers support group since 2006 but I only really go out of habit and to see a handful of people I don't otherwise see due to their schedules. Even in this support group, there are subdivisions. The lower functioning and higher functioning people form their own circles respectively. Even then, I can't always talk with the higher functioning people because my interests are not exactly eye to eye with theirs. Last time the group met, they would not stop talking about Star Wars. I don't hate Star Wars but I don't love it either. I read one of the novels, Shadows of The Empire a year ago and I'd like to read the Thrawn trilogy but other than that, I've lost interest in the franchise and Disney is milking it like crazy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 2:25 am

Marknis wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Indeed. I've actually been a part of an Aspergers support group since 2006 but I only really go out of habit and to see a handful of people I don't otherwise see due to their schedules. Even in this support group, there are subdivisions. The lower functioning and higher functioning people form their own circles respectively. Even then, I can't always talk with the higher functioning people because my interests are not exactly eye to eye with theirs. Last time the group met, they would not stop talking about Star Wars. I don't hate Star Wars but I don't love it either. I read one of the novels, Shadows of The Empire a year ago and I'd like to read the Thrawn trilogy but other than that, I've lost interest in the franchise and Disney is milking it like crazy.

Sounds extremely different from the group that booted me out. The group leader would come up with different topics for us to discus, but eventually just ended up dwelling on her repressed memories she'd come back with each time after she saw her therapist.
Now, as she's a member of WP, I really shouldn't get too much into that subject. There isn't an emoji for wincing, is there?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:19 am

I noticed a thread just got locked for pointing out a link between islamophobia and the republican party

Is that really such a taboo topic??
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 13686.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:49 am

cyberdad wrote:
I noticed a thread just got locked for pointing out a link between islamophobia and the republican party

Yes, because a mod thought that Republicans were stereotyped as a group for being Islamophobic.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:58 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes, because a mod thought that Republicans were stereotyped as a group for being Islamophobic.

Who'd have guessed huh!
locking down free speech

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Who'd have guessed huh!
locking down free speech

What's next!? The KKK stereotyped as racist? The Nazi stereotyped as intolerant? Where the world is going?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 11:55 am

Tollorin wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Who'd have guessed huh!
locking down free speech

What's next!? The KKK stereotyped as racist? The Nazi stereotyped as intolerant? Where the world is going?

:lol: