Page 9 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 2:33 am

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
You all seem more obsessed over white people vs brown people than most anyone else. It seems like that's all you all talk about. And I agree with Morgan Freeman that it just perpetuates racism.

Soooo why are these people so excited when Trump speaks?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 2a1bd733fa

Over at the Washington Post, researchers Matthew Fowler, Vladimir Medenica, and Cathy Cohen have published the results of a new survey on these questions, with a focus on the 41 percent of white millennials who voted for Trump and the sense of “white vulnerability” that motivated them.
https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/12/ ... iety-study

You can't bury stories like these Ezra as much as it might make people uncomfortable. After WWII people vowed never to allow Nazism to creep back into the civilised world. I think we are justified in shining a torchlight on the dark insidious side of our society in case the mould (that is racism) makes a comeback

Oh please. Vox and especially the Washington Post are such a joke. How can you trust any source that's so deeply biased? That crap just backs up what I'm saying.

Sooo if you were a mod then you would shut down threads unless they posted..what?...Reuters?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 2:38 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
You all seem more obsessed over white people vs brown people than most anyone else. It seems like that's all you all talk about. And I agree with Morgan Freeman that it just perpetuates racism.

Over at the Washington Post, researchers Matthew Fowler, Vladimir Medenica, and Cathy Cohen have published the results of a new survey on these questions, with a focus on the 41 percent of white millennials who voted for Trump and the sense of “white vulnerability” that motivated them.

You can't bury stories like these Ezra as much as it might make people uncomfortable. After WWII people vowed never to allow Nazism to creep back into the civilised world. I think we are justified in shining a torchlight on the dark insidious side of our society in case the mould (that is racism) makes a comeback

Economic and racial fears at times go hand in hand. That is the problem with “racism”, “ racism”, “racism”. Because a person has a job does not mean the person does not fear losing said job or are frustrated they are not doing as well as they expect. Do not underestimate the latter. Totally different circumstances but the 60’s American race riots occurred during a period of civil rights gains.

These studies do not deal with emasculation fears.

I agree the study is only a survey and only show prevailing attitudes not causation of aforementioned views...but the fact 41% of white millennials think race is a factor in voting Trump (not an economic downturn) suggests there is something wrong with 41% of white millenials

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 2:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Oh please. Vox and especially the Washington Post are such a joke. How can you trust any source that's so deeply biased? That crap just backs up what I'm saying.

Sooo if you were a mod then you would shut down threads unless they posted..what?...Reuters?

No I would do what I just did, point out that they are heavily biased sources and the bad reputation the Washington Post especially has. And that the Vox and WP articles are great examples of exploiting racism as a political weapon.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 11:19 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
You all seem more obsessed over brown people and white people than most anyone else. It seems like that's all you talk about and I agree with Morgan Freeman that it just perpetuates racism.

Well, Trump shouldn't be giving us ammunition, because he truly is.

To promote and perpetuate racism?

To speak out against the racism promoted by him and his minions in the White House and across the country.

What you basically said earlier is that racism is being used as ammunition. Meaning racism is being exploited and in the process being promoted and perpetuated.

If you want to see it as a matter of exploitation, go ahead. But how else are you going to fight bigotry, save to use the bigot's words against him or her?

It's really not being fought as much as it's being exploited to use as a political weapon.

How is using that against racists as a political weapon a bad thing? And what are we supposed to do when faced with racism? Keep respectfully silent? Silence tends to be regarded as agreement.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 3:23 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
You all seem more obsessed over brown people and white people than most anyone else. It seems like that's all you talk about and I agree with Morgan Freeman that it just perpetuates racism.

To speak out against the racism promoted by him and his minions in the White House and across the country.

What you basically said earlier is that racism is being used as ammunition. Meaning racism is being exploited and in the process being promoted and perpetuated.

If you want to see it as a matter of exploitation, go ahead. But how else are you going to fight bigotry, save to use the bigot's words against him or her?

It's really not being fought as much as it's being exploited to use as a political weapon.

How is using that against racists as a political weapon a bad thing? And what are we supposed to do when faced with racism? Keep respectfully silent? Silence tends to be regarded as agreement.

Exploiting it in an incendiary way isn't going to eliminate it, it's just going to promote and perpetuate it. One could claim white liberals who engage in this to excess don't really care about those they're supposedly defending, they're just using them as pawns.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:23 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Exploiting it in an incendiary way isn't going to eliminate it, it's just going to promote and perpetuate it. One could claim white liberals who engage in this to excess don't really care about those they're supposedly defending, they're just using them as pawns.

Why do you doubt us white liberals aren't sincere? I do care about my fellow Americans who aren't getting a fair shake, and I think most people like me do, too.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:45 pm

because you can't trust a liberal :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 12:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
because you can't trust a liberal :)

Apparently so. :lol:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 12:59 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Why do you doubt us white liberals aren't sincere? I do care about my fellow Americans who aren't getting a fair shake, and I think most people like me do, too.

I'm sure you do. It's the overall political machine and its agenda that's the problem. Do you ever question it?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:10 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I'm sure you do. It's the overall political machine and its agenda that's the problem. Do you ever question it?

While some are doubtlessly disingenuous, I still support my team because they represent my particular socio-political philosophy. I could turn the argument around about conservatives.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:23 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Just keep in mind those like myself who like heavy metal, punk, electronica, science fiction, comic books, anime/manga, and actually good video games but were unlucky enough to be dropped in the Vile Belt aren't getting a fair shot either. I can't contradict Big Brother or I will get pushed under, whether I like it or not.

Austin is about the only sane place in Texas. Even my self-proclaimed conservative friend likes going there and that is saying a lot. Even the rednecks who live there are different since they are more honest than the ones in my area. I saw some at the Melvins and KMFDM shows I went to and I wanted to be pinched just in case I was dreaming.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:06 am

Marknis wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Just keep in mind those like myself who like heavy metal, punk, electronica, science fiction, comic books, anime/manga, and actually good video games but were unlucky enough to be dropped in the Vile Belt aren't getting a fair shot either. I can't contradict Big Brother or I will get pushed under, whether I like it or not.

Austin is about the only sane place in Texas. Even my self-proclaimed conservative friend likes going there and that is saying a lot. Even the rednecks who live there are different since they are more honest than the ones in my area. I saw some at the Melvins and KMFDM shows I went to and I wanted to be pinched just in case I was dreaming.

Ever consider moving there?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:12 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

That would be a dream come true. I used to hope I would maybe go to UT but my experiences with community college exasperated me and I only make poverty level income despite grinding out at my job for nearly 12 years now.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:18 am

Marknis wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

That would be a dream come true. I used to hope I would maybe go to UT but my experiences with community college exasperated me and I only make poverty level income despite grinding out at my job for nearly 12 years now.

Are there community colleges in Austin that would be a better fit?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 12:48 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Are there community colleges in Austin that would be a better fit?

I would still have to move there since it's an hour drive from where I live and I've been told even a decent apartment or condo you still have to pay through the nose for if you don't have a high enough income.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 12:50 am

you will likely have to find another person in your shoes and pool resources for a roof over your head.