Page 1 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 9:32 am

Russia Meddled in U.S. Election, George W. Bush Say

Quote:
Former U.S. president George W. Bush accused Russia on Thursday of meddling in the U.S. 2016 presidential election, calling Russian President Vladimir Putin a "brilliant tactician".

Bush, interviewed on stage at a business conference in the capital of the United Arab Emirates, said there was clear evidence that the Russians had meddled but whether that affected the outcome of the election was another question.

"But they meddled and that is dangerous for democracy," he said, adding that Russia had done the same thing during the Cold War and was adept at trying to manipulate opinion in the United States and Europe.

"Putin is a brilliant tactician who has the capacity to detect weakness and exploit it," Bush said.

In an apparent criticism of the immigration policies U.S. President Donald Trump, Bush called for changes in U.S. immigration rules, saying it was important to recognize that the United States had a history of welcoming people regardless of their religion or where they were born.

"Our system is broken but we've got to fix it. I had tried, but unsuccessfully," he said without naming Trump.

"It is important for our economy and also important for our soul that the immigration system functions well."

On Mexico, he said: "I view it as a relationship vital for our economy and for our stability. We've got to enforce our borders and we've got to enforce our laws.

"There are people willing to do jobs Americans won't do. A lot of Americans don't like picking cotton at 105 degrees. But there are people who want to put food on their family's table and are willing to do that."

Interesting George chose to say this overseas. The Republicans said over and over again Bill Clinton was a traitor for engaging in anti war activities while student at Oxford

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 1:34 pm

I don't quite get the,

"There are people willing to do jobs Americans won't do. A lot of Americans don't like picking cotton at 105 degrees. But there are people who want to put food on their family's table and are willing to do that."

It's like the idea is that there are no poor and desperate Americans, when in actuality there are plenty and their numbers are growing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 1:41 pm

It's pretty much a fact that many Americans WILL NOT do the "dirty jobs"--like picking cotton. Agricultural jobs are very difficult jobs. And very unpleasant.

George W Bush, "Mr. 43," is a dyed-in-the-wool conservative. He's been this critical of Trump before.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 2:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's pretty much a fact that many Americans WILL NOT do the "dirty jobs"--like picking cotton. Agricultural jobs are very difficult jobs. And very unpleasant.

George W Bush, "Mr. 43," is a dyed-in-the-wool conservative. He's been this critical of Trump before.

And Trump insulted his brother.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 3:04 pm

Oh ... look ... someone slightly better than Trump hates Trump.

This is a whole lot of nothing.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 3:22 pm

I think it demonstrates that conservatives know Trump is a loose cannon

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 4:37 pm

This is representative of the internal struggle within the Republican party, in which the old guard - blue blooded, Ivy League educated elites - vs the young turks - right wing populist, anti-intellectual, appealing to the uneducated. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I'm actually rooting for the Republican old guard!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 5:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

According to what they WILL NOT? There's a lot of Americans who live in just as much poverty as those in countries south of the border, people with families who live in tarp tents and cardboard houses.

ASPartOfMe wrote:

And Trump insulted his brother.

That's a very good point.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 6:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
This is representative of the internal struggle within the Republican party, in which the old guard - blue blooded, Ivy League educated elites - vs the young turks - right wing populist, anti-intellectual, appealing to the uneducated. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I'm actually rooting for the Republican old guard!

There is a chance that the new Republicans may destroy their own party.

The new Republicans are more evil than the last ones, though they are far less competent. In other words, they are terrible at concealing their true intentions.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 6:14 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The new Republicans are more evil than the last ones, though they are far less competent. In other words, they are terrible at concealing their true intentions.

Well, they're terrible at hiding their true intentions, save from their constituents. They're voters swallow each and every spoonful $hit, such as tax reform being fair to the little guy, of bringing back coal, that science is fraudulent, that those who have it worse than them are taking away said conservative voters' birthright, etc.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 6:15 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

I think that's a very narrow and biased view. Democrat politicians are just as educated and wealthy as Republican politicians and there are plenty of "uneducated" democrats as well.

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

That seems just as true of Democrats. Their intentions and how they go about trying to impose them are just as obvious.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 7:36 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I think that's a very narrow and biased view. Democrat politicians are just as educated and wealthy as Republican politicians and there are plenty of "uneducated" democrats as well.

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

That seems just as true of Democrats. Their intentions and how they go about trying to impose them are just as obvious.

The difference is, though, the Democrats - not since the days of Andrew Jackson - haven't handed the keys of government over to the mob of uneducated voters in the name of populism. Liberals have always emphasized education, the humanities, and the sciences for the benefit of everyone, even for the masses, not rejected them as an effete waste of time. As well, the liberals have always been looking forward, and expanding liberty and equality to everyone, not trying to roll back time to when only one specific race, gender, and religion held all the power.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 8:28 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

The difference is, though, the Democrats - not since the days of Andrew Jackson - haven't handed the keys of government over to the mob of uneducated voters in the name of populism. Liberals have always emphasized education, the humanities, and the sciences for the benefit of everyone, even for the masses, not rejected them as an effete waste of time. As well, the liberals have always been looking forward, and expanding liberty and equality to everyone, not trying to roll back time to when only one specific race, gender, and religion held all the power.

The whole notion that republicans are an uneducated neanderthal mob and democrats are highly evolved sophisticates, comes off as pure balderdash.

And is especially ironic considering they call republicans supremacists.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 8:33 pm

Just because you're a Democrat----doesn't mean you're a liberal.

Democrats were very conservative folks in the South before and during the Civil Rights Era.

There are still many Democrats who espouse conservative beliefs.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 8:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just because you're a Democrat----doesn't mean you're a liberal.

Democrats were very conservative folks in the South before and during the Civil Rights Era.

There are still many Democrats who espouse conservative beliefs.

^^ This!! !

Likewise, there are still liberal/secular Republicans.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 8:37 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

The whole notion that republicans are an uneducated neanderthal mob and democrats are highly evolved sophisticates, comes off as pure balderdash.

And is especially ironic considering they call republicans supremacists.

I never said such a thing. Far from it, the Republican party has had intelectual lights in their ranks such as George Will, Henry Kissinger, and the late William F. Buckley. And it's precisely these sort of thinkers who are being pushed out by this new, right wing populist brand of Republicans.