Page 10 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 12:50 am

you will likely have to find another person in your shoes and pool resources for a roof over your head.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 12:51 am

auntblabby wrote:
you will likely have to find another person in your shoes and pool resources for a roof over your head.

I was actually about to suggest that very thing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 12:52 am

^^^though if he is anything like me, he might find that an intimidating prospect. :o

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 12:57 am

Marknis:

https://www.meetup.com/Adult-Austin-Aspies-2013/

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 1:08 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^though if he is anything like me, he might find that an intimidating prospect. :o

Me too.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 1:48 am

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:

I attended a meet up with them back in 2013 and I was actually the youngest who attended. Most of the other attendees were elderly men and there were no female attendees at all. I actually had to get my older brother to come back and get me since he himself drove me there. What really exasperated me was that the group was split in two and only the younger group did anime/manga meet ups but refused to do the same for the young adults and above. One of the elderly men even stated himself that they couldn't seem to get the 20 year olds on board. :roll:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 1:54 am

my impression of the aspie meetup was like it was a bit like trying to herd cats.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
my impression of the aspie meetup was like it was a bit like trying to herd cats.

I had joined an Aspie group here in Spokane, and ended up getting kicked out. Not that it matters, as the group rapidly shrunk to meetings between two or three people at most, and those others tended to be only interested in just reopening old wounds, and were probably certifiably insane. I'm not joking about that "insane" part.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:22 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I had joined an Aspie group here in Spokane, and ended up getting kicked out. Not that it matters, as the group rapidly shrunk to meetings between two or three people at most, and those others tended to be either interested in just reopening old wounds, and were probably certifiably insane. I'm not joking about that "insane" part.

I am curious as to why they kicked you out :o

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:31 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I had joined an Aspie group here in Spokane, and ended up getting kicked out. Not that it matters, as the group rapidly shrunk to meetings between two or three people at most, and those others tended to be either interested in just reopening old wounds, and were probably certifiably insane. I'm not joking about that "insane" part.

Sounds like Kraichgauer was the only one who was sane so they kicked him out

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Well, as far as I can figure, it's concerning one of a couple things.
The first matter was about one of my very best friends, Brad, who is also my daughter's godfather. The leader of the group is romantically involved with another person who out of the blue had made rape allegations against my friend, Brad. Now, my friend knows this person making the allegations through his social activism in the LGBT community, and a few years ago, they had in fact been romantically involved. This person has made the exact same allegation against her father, and against just about every person formerly sexually involved with. Needless to say, I defended Brad, saying he was the last person to do something contemptible like rape. I'm sure that didn't win me any points.
The second matter has to do with my imitation of Truman Capote, who spoke with a very effeminate lisp, while recounting the feud between him and William Burroughs (who I also imitated, due to his equally unusual, but butch voice - both writers were gay, by the way). Well, I imagine the group leader might have decided I was a homophobe for this. For the record, I am not. As Capote was despised by his fellow writers, including gay men like Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg, and Gore Vidal, I'm pretty certain they each had probably imitated him, too.
But it seems I'll never know, as I had sent a message to the group leader, asking why, but never got a response. Incidentally, the group leader and another member are both WP members, so I don't want to unveil their identities and cause more problems. But the fact of the matter is, the only thing I had in common with any of those people was that we were each on the autistic spectrum, and not much more. I actually have far more in common with the members of a writers group that my friend Brad and I belong to.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:53 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
...But the fact of the matter is, the only thing I had in common with any of those people was that we were each on the autistic spectrum, and not much more. I actually have far more in common with the members of a writers group that my friend Brad and I belong to.

gee, that sounds like group politics spoiled everything. I didn't have much in common with my group other than being on the spectrum. everybody else had their nose buried in their devices, and I never had any devices to begin with, so I just sat there more often than not like a fool on a stool with nothing to do or anybody to talk to.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

it was ugly group politics.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:58 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
...But the fact of the matter is, the only thing I had in common with any of those people was that we were each on the autistic spectrum, and not much more. I actually have far more in common with the members of a writers group that my friend Brad and I belong to.

gee, that sounds like group politics spoiled everything. I didn't have much in common with my group other than being on the spectrum. everybody else had their nose buried in their devices, and I never had any devices to begin with, so I just sat there more often than not like a fool on a stool with nothing to do or anybody to talk to.

Unfortunately, being autistic alone doesn't bind people together.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Thanks for the vote of confidence concerning my mental state. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 3:16 am

its ok, I have had zero luck with Aspie groups in Melbourne