Cheddar Man: Mesolithic Britain's Blue-Eyed Boy

Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 5:07 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
What I consider to be more significant is, blue eyed people in the past were dark skinned. That really should throw a wrench into white nationalist racial theories

Looks like "the white race is in danger" mantra seems a little lame now. Like the flat earth true believers

Yeah, that's because neither ideology is based on sound science.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 6:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
As far as we know, racist, colored-hating, slave-owning, evil whites came and killed poor Cheddar.

White supremacists lie...Genes don't lie.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... t-its-dna/

Cheddar man's DNA is well represented in our modern British population

Not according to the article.

Article: "Modern-day British people share approximately 10% of their genetic ancestry with the European population to which Cheddar Man belonged, but they aren't direct descendants".

They don't even say which DNA.

Modern British people may have nothing to do with "Cheddar Man". Rather, they inherited that 10% from another group that had the same DNA, perhaps "white man". Maybe "Cheddar" and "White" man were brothers, and modern Europeans inherited that DNA from "white man".

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 10:41 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
I thought this was common knowledge interestingly the first humans had light skin and evolved darker skin.

Neanderthals were not our ancestors.

The famous March of Progress image is actually infamous within the scientific community, since it implies that evolution goes in a straight line. Real evolution almost always creates a branching tree pattern, not a straight line. This is true even for the evolution of humanoid apes.

When Cheddar Man lived in Britain, Neanderthals had already been extinct for 30,000 years.

Thus, white skin evolved independently in Neanderthals and European Homo sapiens.

The earliest true humans were likely black. This would have helped them cope with the hot tropical sun.

Well, Neanderthals were some of our ancestors.
What I consider to be more significant is, blue eyed people in the past were dark skinned. That really should throw a wrench into white nationalist racial theories. People haven't always looked like they do today, and doubtlessly won't look like us in the far future.

Not really because most white supremacists believe whites are more evolved than blacks and the differences between the races is more about neurology than skin tone, the believe the reason blacks commit more crime is genetic not cultural, I have read that they even believe that blacks are not capable of abstract thinking. White supremacists are such a small part of society that people have no idea how stupid they are.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 3:00 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
As far as we know, racist, colored-hating, slave-owning, evil whites came and killed poor Cheddar.

Article: "Modern-day British people share approximately 10% of their genetic ancestry with the European population to which Cheddar Man belonged, but they aren't direct descendants".

Modern British people may have nothing to do with "Cheddar Man". Rather, they inherited that 10% from another group that had the same DNA, perhaps "white man". Maybe "Cheddar" and "White" man were brothers, and modern Europeans inherited that DNA from "white man".

That's because by the late Neolithic, there had been a huge influx of Indo-Europeans coming into Europe from the eastern steppes, and from the Caspian-Black Sea region. These new arrivals may have been fleeing the Black Plague, which followed them, decimating the native European populations. Those remaining were apparently further decimated by the newcomers, who took the women for themselves, leaving little maternal descendants.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 5:21 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

I'm willing to accept there had to be a concentration of "recessive" genes pre-ice age to explain light hair/eyes in Britian so that's not in dispute (although genetic bottlenecks concentrate and amplify genes rather than demonstrate ancestral lines). What isn't in dispute is that 60% of the average British person's genes is indigenous and the people who are most strongly genetically related to modern Britains are the Basques of Spain.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34175224

The pre-ice age Basques were thought to resemble the modern population of north Africa so sorry...we are darkies, even the whitest of white Brits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptSZnTtGCQA

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 5:23 pm

We were all "darkies" at one time.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 5:25 pm

Precisely, that seems to be a concept that hard to stomach for the "supremacists" who believe in manifest destiny

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 6:29 pm

Dark skin is beneficial in most of the easily habitable areas of the world. We are accustom to seeing white people in regions that have higher UV levels than most of Europe, where "white" complexions were selected for, and think nothing of it but the reality is, most white people who in parts of the world with higher UV levels than mid/norther Europe have sun damaged skin.

Despite my use of sunscreen, living in a sunny region where UV levels reach high levels, my skin is visibly sun damaged compared to say, the skin of the average white person in Scotland. People in my region, however, don't notice this because they are accustomed to seeing sun damaged skin.

Should the modern world disappear, I may be ok here. I tan a bit, though surely I would develop skin cancer in my later years. One of my siblings, however, has no ability to tan and would burn very badly which would reduce their genetic fitness in this environment.

Conversly, a vary dark person from Sudan would possibly develop rickets and thyroid problems if they lived in a low UV environment and did not have a way to obtain vitamin D.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 8:02 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

That's because by the late Neolithic, there had been a huge influx of Indo-Europeans coming into Europe from the eastern steppes, and from the Caspian-Black Sea region. These new arrivals may have been fleeing the Black Plague, which followed them, decimating the native European populations. Those remaining were apparently further decimated by the newcomers, who took the women for themselves, leaving little maternal descendants.

PATERNAL! I meant to say, "leaving little paternal descendants." :oops:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 8:12 pm

Chronos wrote:
Dark skin is beneficial in most of the easily habitable areas of the world. We are accustom to seeing white people in regions that have higher UV levels than most of Europe, where "white" complexions were selected for, and think nothing of it but the reality is, most white people who in parts of the world with higher UV levels than mid/norther Europe have sun damaged skin.

Despite my use of sunscreen, living in a sunny region where UV levels reach high levels, my skin is visibly sun damaged compared to say, the skin of the average white person in Scotland. People in my region, however, don't notice this because they are accustomed to seeing sun damaged skin.

Should the modern world disappear, I may be ok here. I tan a bit, though surely I would develop skin cancer in my later years. One of my siblings, however, has no ability to tan and would burn very badly which would reduce their genetic fitness in this environment.

Conversly, a vary dark person from Sudan would possibly develop rickets and thyroid problems if they lived in a low UV environment and did not have a way to obtain vitamin D.

The level of melanin is a biological adaptation but (on the flipside) the belief in "Toynbeeism" remains strong in conservative circles in both Europe and Asia. This is a Darwinian concept that colder climes induce greater levels of cognitive adaptation to survive the harsher environment leading to populations with greater mental capacity (thus leading to greater creativity and intellectual development). This Darwinian approach was used to explain why agriculture or the wheel did not develop in equatorial zones. Among it's adherents were Margaret Thatcher and Lee Kuan Yew...

Of course it's bunk...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 12:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
Chronos wrote:

The level of melanin is a biological adaptation but (on the flipside) the belief in "Toynbeeism" remains strong in conservative circles in both Europe and Asia. This is a Darwinian concept that colder climes induce greater levels of cognitive adaptation to survive the harsher environment leading to populations with greater mental capacity (thus leading to greater creativity and intellectual development). This Darwinian approach was used to explain why agriculture or the wheel did not develop in equatorial zones. Among it's adherents were Margaret Thatcher and Lee Kuan Yew...

Of course it's bunk...

You can still find plenty of internet sites preaching long outdated "scientific" ideas that had more to do with racist political notions that with real science. Not only are non-whites allegedly proven to be inferior, but so are certain white European groups, such as short, stocky , round headed Alpine types.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 3:09 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
You can still find plenty of internet sites preaching long outdated "scientific" ideas that had more to do with racist political notions that with real science. Not only are non-whites allegedly proven to be inferior, but so are certain white European groups, such as short, stocky , round headed Alpine types.

Toynbeeism coupled Darwinian natural selection with "advanced societies" (western) military and economic success, it's a convenient theory that took off during decolonization to justify paternal/patronizing attitudes toward newly independent states. A number of east Asian leaders (including the Japanese) educated in Oxford/Cambridge (like Lee Kuan Yew) also picked up this theory to explain the advanced civilizations of Chinese/Japanese culture

The whole concept was roundly critiqued in Jarrod Diamond's brilliant "Guns, Germs and Steel" who demonstrated colonial success had little to go with superior genes and a lot to do with historical luck. Unfortunately the "unwashed masses" in the west choose not to read anything that conflicts with their world view

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 3:22 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Of course it's bunk...

I imagine you are referring to Stormfront; a perfect example of why a world ruled by white nationalists would never work. They would tear each other to shreds over who is the whitest of them all, and which white people aren't white enough.

It reminds me of this page in "Millions of Cats". The cats get into an argument about who's the cutest and all end up killing each other for it...except one that decided to hide somewhere instead....that one has AS.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 10:07 pm

UPDATE: Jimmies have been rustled.

Perhaps racists will nickname him "The Stinky Cheese Man".

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 12:23 pm

Chronos wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Of course it's bunk...

I imagine you are referring to Stormfront; a perfect example of why a world ruled by white nationalists would never work. They would tear each other to shreds over who is the whitest of them all, and which white people aren't white enough.

It reminds me of this page in "Millions of Cats". The cats get into an argument about who's the cutest and all end up killing each other for it...except one that decided to hide somewhere instead....that one has AS.

And various other sites.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 7:16 pm

Chronos wrote:

Perhaps that's the real reason why Queen Grimhilde was so nasty.

"Magic mirror on the wall, who's the whitest of them all?"

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/